Author Topic: Texing for WC1/2 ships  (Read 8080 times)

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Texing for WC1/2 ships
One thing I never understood about the textures WC modders always do for WC1/2 ships: why are they so weird and blurry looking? It's more than wear and dirt, it's just blurry, but it isn't accidental texture blur, it's like sharply defined blur, if you get my meaning. Fighters and capships alike are just painful to look at.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Well...probably because of the originals.

Still, I can envision me doing a Rapier texture with awesome panel lines and whatnot and have it look much like the one in the game but with high detail.

If someone were to do a WC1 FS2 mod, I'd be there in a second (need good meshes tho).  I can't UV map, but I could texture to be sure!
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
There is someone who makes a WC1 mod, but he refuses to get any help or to work together with someone cause "I want to do something myself" ...well thats what he tolds me.
But we will also have a WC 1+2 part in our mod...after we have finished the WC 3+4 part.
If you want to join us IceFire fell free to do so. If you want you can be chief of the WC1+2 department ^_^
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
exactly,

btw Icefire, we already have some of WC2 ships and also the Hornet from WC1. Join us... afterall you was the project leader of the now dead FS2 to WC total conversion.

Regards Tolwyn
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Lynx

Re: Texing for WC1/2 ships
Originally posted by Alan Bolte
One thing I never understood about the textures WC modders always do for WC1/2 ships: why are they so weird and blurry looking? It's more than wear and dirt, it's just blurry, but it isn't accidental texture blur, it's like sharply defined blur, if you get my meaning. Fighters and capships alike are just painful to look at.

Hmm, where did you see that. I remember that most WC1 models I saw looked very good, IMO. And, have you checked the screenshots thread, there are already some WC2 ships there; but they are painted in WC3 style.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Oh dear now I've opened the mouth :)

We'll see how things go, I get insanely busy all the time, I say stuff I shouldn't get and I get bloody involved.  Still...I've seen some of the work you guys do and its good.  But you guys need to take more screen shots and show off more of your models.

I will return and see how you guys are doing :)
- IceFire

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Oh BTW...if you guys do have WC1 meshes, I'd love to have a look and see how they are coming along.  If you guys have good modelers and you've got UV mapped ships with no textures, it may be something that would interest me in doing.

I love the old style WC1 and 2 stuff.  Got all the manuals too.
- IceFire

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
well, to tell you truth we have most of wc1/2 models, their quality is not the best however. In any case, I can upload them... if you are interested ;)

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Lynx

Actually, I've deen doing some WC1 models some months ago. I just stopped because I had other things to do; check the screenshot thread for that.;)

I have done a Scimitar(I dare to say it can rival Eders models in quality and detail), started a Raptor and the Gettysburg heavy cruiser(it is a canon design; it is only briefly seen in WC1, so Origin decided not to do an extra model, they used an exeter as placeholder. However, in the 'Freedom Flight' novel, it is clearly stated that it's upposed to be a cruiser, bigger than the 'Claw)
Since the pleasent and distracting aspect in my life has left me at the end of the summer:( , I guess I have enough free time to finsh these three along with my other assignments. Anyway here are pics of the Scim and the Getty.

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
I thought the TCS Austin was the second in the Bengal class of strike carriers?  But nevermind, thats a cool model and it looks WC1 like.

That Scim looks excellent.  Just need to do more models and UV map em...I could probably do textures.  It would take me a very long time to do...but I could do them and I think it'd look quite good.

I would probably also be able to work on the table level.  This would happen in the future...so if there was model, UV mapping, and POF converting, I could do the other bits :D
- IceFire

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
WC1 ships... nice :)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Lynx

I think for the WC1 ships there's no need to texture them WC3ish since most of them are out of service at the time WCS takes part, but I'm sure it doesn't  take long until someone takes the chance and does a camapign with them if we include them. ;)

If you do some textures, just look that they corespondend with the basic style of the other textures(plating lines, clor variations and such), but I'm sure there's a lot of work for you if you want to do it.:D

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
I am thinking of doing a WC2 timeline campain...maybe we could see some WC1 ships left in some Landreich armys.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
perhaps you haven't read the False Colors yet, but after the WC4 timeline  the mainstream fighters in the Landreich Navy were still Raptors, Rapiers and Hornets

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Nope still haven't got False Colors...

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
I was thinking more along the lines of a small WC1 campaign with all the oldies.  You could always dress em up differently later.
- IceFire

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
How many WC1 ships are done like that?  It could be a neat little project to put together a WC1 mod.
- IceFire

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
if you mean how many wc1 ships we have in the game: 1

if you mean how many models we have: almost all

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
if you mean how many models will be ingame when we ar finished: all

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Originally posted by gevatter Lars
if you mean how many models will be ingame when we ar finished: all

do not be so sure about that... especially if you refering to the Prophecy crap.

-WC Saga's beta tester