Author Topic: new sheild rendering, test me  (Read 6543 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
new sheild rendering, test me
I was told that you needed the sheild rendering system tweaked, try this, now it won't be perfict, but it should make the shields on capships a little less ugly, though I don't have anything to test it on currently so I can't be sure if it works or not.
this is a less ambishious atempt than my first shot, I mearly removed the capping (used to set anything outside of 0.0-1.0 to one of those) code and made it use texture clamping, I'm going to see if I can get the size of the effect related to the weapon, and not the radius of the ship (as it currently is, and I must say the sheild code has some major weirdness, it's like they hired some outside guy to do it, then he quit right after, things are done completely diferent than anywere else in the code :wtf: )
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
hey, if anyone DLed this, do it again, I figured out what I had done wrong the first time, and I uploaded to the same spot, and now it should do _exactly_ what you want
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
// testing it with a low poly shield
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Originally posted by Bobboau
hey, if anyone DLed this, do it again, I figured out what I had done wrong the first time, and I uploaded to the same spot, and now it should do _exactly_ what you want

I have downloaded a file modified at 2:17 AM. Is this the correct one?

I have noticed no difference to the old code though

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
no, I posted that as I was uploading, but you should have had some degree of less distorted impacts (though it would have seemed very similar, the second one I uploaded should be a quite strikeing diference)
DL again, what's up now should defenantly be an improvement, sorry bout makeing you DL it twice
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
cool, downloading the file now ;)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
ok, I have tested the newest EXE and to tell the truth I failed to see any difference in the shield rendering. Perhaps if I would use a more detailed shield mesh the alterations will become vivisble. Right now shield rendering is vertex based, which results in odd shaped shield effect (not round, but square or stretched in most cases). Again, a higher poly mesh is needed to test the new EXE.

What strange is that shield meshes we created a long time ago proved to be unstable... perhaps due to a high density in one place. I am no expert for this.

Is it possible to use hull mesh for shield effect rendering?

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Wasn't there something in development that you have 2 hit animations?
Means as long as the target has a shield a shieldhit animation would be shown and when the shield is down the normal hin animation is shown.
That would make extra shieldmeshes unnessesary and I think would look better, cause we have a fixed size for the hit animation.
Effect should then look somehow like in Privateer2 or WCP.

PS: How do our current shields work? Are they just simulation additional hitpoints?
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
"Is it possible to use hull mesh for shield effect rendering?"
no, it runs on a totaly diferent scheem, shield meshes store data about wich tirangles are touching wich, the hull geometry is held in a very cumbersome BSP format wich is great for getting to wich polygons are in a given place, but not good for makeing localized effects (this has proven to be a huge pain in the ass when I was working on decals)

I'm going to need to figure out why it isn't working, it should be makeing perfictly rounded impact effects (useing the sheild geometry, I'm useing a techneque similar to the decal code, it's a lot easier to do this with the shield mesh)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I just tested it  with an absurdly large and low poly shield, it seems to work as advertized :doubt:
don't supose you've got a pof or two I can use to test this on
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
I am sure that we can send you one or the other shieldmesh.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Originally posted by Bobboau
I just tested it  with an absurdly large and low poly shield, it seems to work as advertized :doubt:
don't supose you've got a pof or two I can use to test this on

lemme compile a package for you, which includes shield mesh made by Kazan.

Stand by

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
ok, I am uploading a package...
btw, the shield is done in a wrong way, and it appears that it is too low poly now. Nevertheless it is a start. You will have to replace weapons in the tbl through FS2 weapons.

I am sending you the link via pm

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Mav

I could test it with my shielded Fralthi II ('bout 5k poly-shieldmesh), but I can't download it !!! :(
Could you please email it to me, Tolwyn?

@Bob: No, as far as I can tell, the size of the shieldeffect is normally based on the size of your shieldmesh's polygons (this contributing to my high poly count). And your old env build worked quite well for me on this, though I got somewhat stretched effects for hits from certain angles - hope this build solves them :) .
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Originally posted by Mav
I could test it with my shielded Fralthi II ('bout 5k poly-shieldmesh), but I can't download it !!! :(
Could you please email it to me, Tolwyn?

@Bob: No, as far as I can tell, the size of the shieldeffect is normally based on the size of your shieldmesh's polygons (this contributing to my high poly count). And your old env build worked quite well for me on this, though I got somewhat stretched effects for hits from certain angles - hope this build solves them :) .

Mav, the file is stored in our database, EXE folder

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Mav

Uh, thanks. I'll download it shortly. :D
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I've been haveing some major conectivity issues today, but I finaly managed to DL the file in question, there is indeed a bit of a problem with the shield mesh on that ship, but it's not as bad as you may think, the biggest problem it has is mostly that it has a lot of faces in the shield that are at ~90 degree angles from one and other, if the thing gets hit on one of the seems between  two triangles that are 90 degrees from each other you are going to get a very very ugly effect (it'll be totaly smeared along one of the triangles) it would be nice if the mesh was dencer, but that shouldn't be that big of a problem as it used to be were any vert outside of the 0.0 to 1.0 range was set to wich ever one of those it was connected to (meaning that no sheild hit effect could be smaller than the face it hit). but the fact that you are saying that the impact effect seems as big as the poly it hits... is just... puzzeling, it should be just a little bit bigger than the weapon hitting it
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
looks like my telefraged server is telefuct atm, I have some screen shots but no were to put them for the time being :doubt: maybe I can talk one of the admins into giveing me atachment privleges

while I'm posting this, I wanted to also make sure I mentioned one thing I did see that might be a problem unrelated to the sheilds, you'r useing a _lot_ of textures in that one ship, you realy should try to get it down to about three or four per subobject, some of the non-tiled detail peices should probly be put into a single texture and the UV cords for those parts be adjusted
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 09:52:45 pm by 57 »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
wait, maybe I can already
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
ha, looks like I can :D

this is what the error from the triangles at too sharp an angle looks like, it only shows up though if you shoot at the seams between the two triangles.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3