Author Topic: new sheild rendering, test me  (Read 6540 times)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
new sheild rendering, test me
hmm... the effect on the first picture looks great, I really should test the EXE again (and perhaps download it too).

So what are the guidelines for shield creating? No sharp angles? Is this the magic formula ;)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you didn't DL it? :wtf:
(it might be gone, VW seems to be quite screwed atm)
I could put it up here as an atachment
[actualy it looks like the thing doesn't like megabyte sized files]

I'd say try to keep the angles fairly smooth, try to keep things fairly triangular (as opposed to rectangular, this is good advice for general modeling too IMHO) and try to keep all the triangles about the same size and as close to equilateral as posable, the more sphereical the better but that's not very posable, just try to aviod situations were a line could intersect more than one triangle at a time. and more triangles == better, generaly.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I have downloaded the file two times, but it looks fairly different than on your screen. Hmm... as I said I have tested cap ships battles... Lemme run a test wtih a single ship again...

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
hmm... it looks very different to me

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
... maybe.. I uploaded the wrong exe...hmmm
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Originally posted by Bobboau
... maybe.. I uploaded the wrong exe...hmmm

that is very possible, since the EXE I downloaded before and after update had the same "date modified" string

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Hey Tolwyn what about giving Bobboau excess to our server..so he wouldn't have this server problems.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I could... if he wants

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Mav

The exe on our FTP seem´s to be the correct one. I DLed it yesterday evening and tested it this morning - the biggest of my distortions (which actually are something like what Bob showed) are nearly gone! :D  -  BIG thanks, Bob. :yes:
I still have some minor distortion on some points where my shieldmesh has sharp edges (exactly what Bob explained) , but I'll smooth them as soon as I get the final model of the ship.

And Tolwyn: For shieldmeshs, absolute top priority is that they are as close to the hull as possible. I think I too got some crashes before I figured that out; and those shields also only worked if shot at from a very limited amount of angles.
Second priority would then be to avoid any sharp edges, so you don't get distortions, like Bob mentioned.
( I tried to do this with my Fralthi shieldmesh, but some sharp edges still slipped into it -  :mad: )
Before this new build you also had to keep the proportions of the faces equal (like in a square) or what you can see on your pics would happen (circular ani stretched to oval shape) .
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
wellm since you know how it works ... ;)

could you please upload current version of the Fralthi?

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Mav

With "current" you mean the one with my shield mesh (I don't have the new model as Starman wants to do some things on it before handing it on) ? That's already on the normal FTP, cob included. Filename is "Mav_KCrus_01db.zip".
Textures aren't included but I didn't change anything on them, so just get the ones of the unshielded version (if you don't already have them anyway) .
Shall I also upload it to the DB, too?
[Edit: Note that the hull in the cob only has a placeholder texture as I imported the shield to the old pof anyway and wanted to save me the time searching all the textures and converting them to bmp.]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2004, 12:56:54 pm by 1266 »
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline Roy fokker

• Flaming FREDder
Originally posted by Tolwyn
hmm... it looks very different to me

are you using the modified one that kazen made that might be why
Roy Fokker
Mission designer for  Inferno and Wing Commander Saga

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
heh, you guys have a thing warning people not to bump old threads :D
wonder why you'r the only forum with that...

anyway, decals have received a new effect that could very easily be made to look like a shield hit.
looksee
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3