Author Topic: Prologue Released!  (Read 184200 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Simple. We did not have time to finish UI backgrounds for the particular section. And, of course, we need to rebalance missile weaponry. At any rate, we have plans on releasing a multiplayer patch, but it will take a couple of months to create hough.

That explains a lot. Believe me the BtRL team know your pain (CannonFodder especially) as we had to do the exact same thing for our release. In fact the team will be watching this release quite closely because the problems you bump into are likely to affect us too so we want to know what potential pitfalls we can expect.

To that end I've been monitoring this release thread as well as any others I can find from people who don't know the FS2_Open engine. The cause of Lt.Death100's problem for instance is likely that he has an old install of OpenAL 1.0 on the PC and that can cause issues. Tell him to check his C:\Windows\System32 folder for either ct_oal.dll or nvopenal.dll and delete them if he finds them. OpenAL should work after that.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
the mod is crashing my pc everytime i try to run the mod. i can see where the problem is i just dont know how to get around it, shame that is i wanted to play this mod.

Do you receive an error message ? If so, pls post it. Be sure that you run the game in 1024x768, everything below this will crash right at the start.

What are you talking about man? Thats exactly how the cutscenes are meant to look.  :confused:

Huh ? Are you on drugs, Ed ? :)

@antagonist : Try running the game in OGL, and if that doesn't help this is most likely a problem with the video codec you have installed.
I just can't say which one you need, but certainly anyone else can..... also it couldn't hurt to update your video drivers to the newest OGL version.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 10:59:42 am by Starman01 »
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
First of all,

always post your system specs, your game configuration and your command line options. It makes it easier for us and SCP guys to locate the problem :)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Yay, no bugs for me, runs like a charm. And I must say I'm impressed, the mod is very polished and immersive, I was actually laughing out loud at some of the pilot chatter (when the pirates get informed about their rights :)).  All in all, totally worth the wait.

Now, if I only could save the Wellington  ... damned Kilrathi bombers  :hopping:

Btw, will the main campaign come in episodic releases, or are you going for the massive all-in-one-bugtesting-nightmare-route ?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Btw, will the main campaign come in episodic releases, or are you going for the massive all-in-one-bugtesting-nightmare-route ?

The latter :)

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yes :) As long as I live there will be no episodic release. I know it will be another long waiting time for the fans, but I want to bring out a complete game, not pieces of it. :)  But I hope that this release will attrack a few more peoples to the mod (escpecially serious fredders) so that
the waiting time wont be so long (but after all, 40 mission await to be built, and only 20 have made it yet into a beta-stage). Collecting more than 1500 voice lines won't be easy as well   :pimp:
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
As long as I live....

[NWN2 voice "power hungry" on]Now, what do we have here. Fresh corpses.[NWN2 voice "power hungry" off]

-WC Saga's beta tester

great job guys,
 HAPPY NEW YEAR

why, oh why is my internet connection so slow??? started downloding, but it seems it'll take hours

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Offline Centrixo

ok i fixed it, hex edit a line and its completly stopped crashing and runs really stable now.
as usual i give a reveiw on a fair level, on the bad side. (happens on other forums where mods are pubished)

1. the missions are kind of dull but not bad for a first try.

2. i dont belive the characters and what they do, i myself think that is false advertising but other might not.

3. the limit of weapons and ship changing cant be done, i dont like being forced to take one path and of course i can wait for the full version.

4. i spent over 2 hours trying to destroy a pirate frigate on easiest skill!, the missles and laser batteries are either too overpowered or re-fire rate is too quick besides that the range of the cap ship made its extreamly difficult to get anywhere near it.

5. the music is playing itself over and over witch imo took away from the experience of WC:S, maybe more music will do.

6. too heavily reliant on nav bouys and time acceleration, that got pretty dull really quickly.

good side.

1. i like the pretty colors from the HUD and the overall GUI.

2. i like the intros.

3. nice ship designs, especially the wellington and the Lexinton. <---Highlight text for ship spoiler.

4. loose missions before the plot, thats a good start.

5. the idea is really well thought out, and everything fits into the overall game quality.
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.

ok I got everything in working order now, thanks to you guys!

played it through btw and I'm just amazed...I really got into it in that last mission and then suddenly: "TBC" I just thought nooooo :( it can't be over!!!! ;)

I'm really looking forward to your mod...I hope you won't take 4 more years though ^^

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
to tell the truth: the development of the Prologue took 2 years (18 months for development + 6 for bugfixing and polishing)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Centrixo

well you done good  :)
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
well you done good  :)

Not entirely. We planed to have it finished just after 1 year. I guess, that "lagging behind schedule" is common in the game industry :)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
...I hope you won't take 4 more years though ^^

We sincerly hope it wont take another 4 years for the main campaign. It highly depends on the numbers of active working modellers and mission designers, but by taking our overgrown perfectionism into account, I estimate at least (I repeat, at least)  2 years :( This sounds hard, but I think it's realistic. The amount of work that needs to be done is overwhelming.  But I promise you today, it will be worth the waiting   :nod:

We have learned a lot by building the prologue, and we will certainly benefit from that experience when building the main campaign.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

As long as the project is not abandoned (which I don't think it will, been lurking here for a while now ^^), I'm fine with it... ;p

Also, with the prologue, you ave a base from which to build the "full" game, so personally, I think you will need less time to build the actual content, but more to debug it...I've been betatester for a couple of mods, and boy was I surprised when I saw how sloppy some of the code was ingame...heh, xwings flying nose down comes to mind ^^

Also, I'm quite ashamed to tell you I never actually played the WC games; although I fit into the agegroup, I got into computer games later than most others...I'm a bookworm at heart ^^

Well, if you ever need a beta without any knowledge whatsoever(ok not really...just remembered that I watched the WC movie...some time ago...don't know much about its story anymore except that I did like it...) about WC, feel free to ask, although my time is going to be a little limited for the next couple of months...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 02:02:31 pm by antagonist »

Offline Centrixo

not sure about me i wouldnt mind helping the effort to make the game good.

im not too sure about my job, alot of rumors circulation about me and one of the yougner female higher admins at the place i work at, according to other people nothing is being done, i wonder what the boss will say.. anyhow i think i have alot of time through out the day as i multitask.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

ok i fixed it, hex edit a line and its completly stopped crashing and runs really stable now.

What the hell did you edit?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
Nice work, very impressive!

I really enjoyed playing it, it is great. Feels like Wing Commander.

Well done!
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

I agree with about everything Lt. Cannonfodder said.
The overall feel of quality and attention to detail is unbelievable.
I do miss the autopilot flybys from WC, going to 64X isn't the same but I suppose that's an engine limitation. Just having autopilot is an accomplishment in my book.

I felt the timing in the training could be sped up, that is, there is a lot of waiting for the next event to trigger.

I found a small typo ("you" instead of "your"). At the end of my training mission it hung hard. Even thought there's no debug exe I have an errorlog.txt in my WCSP directory. I also saved my windows error report.

Are you interested in any of this info yet?

I'm going to try again.