Author Topic: REQUEST: Voice acting!  (Read 74894 times)

Re: REQUEST: Voice acting!
hey there, I'm new (today) and just wanted to start off by saying I have been waiting for a remake of Wing Commander since i played the originals, and having played the prologue today I must say I am extremely excited for the work you guys are doing. I own (or have owned) every WC title since the original (even the WC3 Collectors edition "movie reel" one  :)). but enough about that sorry everyone, as you can tell im a little excited.

just a question.
when we all send in audio clips, say some are seen as possible major roles in the game, how will we be contacted if you are interested? because im sure all of us are no doubt.

probably a dumb question now that i read it over myself but oh well..

anyways. keep it up  :D
-va

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
just a question.
when we all send in audio clips, say some are seen as possible major roles in the game, how will we be contacted if you are interested? because im sure all of us are no doubt.

I'll answer every aplication :)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

sweet.
i forgot to include something in there sorry

are we expected to do the cockpit voice modulation for our voice samples (like crackling and break-ups etc.)? and if so... how? lol
thanks again

Offline Wavey

Im interested in doing some voice acting ,no prev experience tho .
I will mail you with my details

victoryashes they will have to do that.

Speaking of which, why is it that so far in the future radio still has a 6 kHz bandwidth and sounds like AM radio today?

Never mind, it's for the same reason that space supports those fantastic explosion sounds.

are you guys even still taking voice talent? 

Casting call is open until further notice. It just started yesterday or so, I doubt anyone has even had time to make a submission yet.

BTW, are you a drummer?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 12:14:32 am by Huggybaby »

thanks huggy,

i noticed your post above about that Samson mic and you said you had a few other tricks, care to PM them to me? I can't quite squeeze out that much right now and I don't think Samson will accept my Best Buy gift certificate lol.

anyways, i have GoldWave and am probably picking up a decent headset tomorrow. Any info on making my recording quality better would be appreciated I think I have a few pretty good ideas.
cheers
-va

Hmm, that's one cheap mic, considering you don't need a preamp or a USB converter. You should try to suck it up, but I know how it is.

I'll compose some more hints for public consumption tomorrow rather than PM you (I don't mind PM'ing you but why not share eh?). I'm working on my install guide right now, which is likely to benefit more people.

Stay tuned to this space.

OK, here's a hint: print your lines. Practice them. Mark the paper where you want to emphasize, inflect up and down, etc. You can invent your own markup technique.

If you don't have headphones, close one ear so you can better hear your inflection.

OK, that's more than I promised, much more later. I'll be listening to you after all, I don't want you to suck.  :p

haha well put
i would definately love to grab that samson, being a musician i could probably use it for more than just voice over applications  ;)
but for that same reason (being a musician) i need as much cash as i can get. but if you are listening to the samples and you find you like them, perhaps i will plunge into the investment.
im confident asking fans of the game was definately the right choice, hah i wish i could pick'em
happy hunting
-va

I'm not involved in the process, I'm just an interested observer who happens to have done some dialogue editing for pay...I don't know who the engineer will be.

What I mean is, I'll be listening to you after you make it into the game, so don't put me to sleep!

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
are we expected to do the cockpit voice modulation for our voice samples (like crackling and break-ups etc.)? and if so... how? lol

No, we will take care for any disturbing sounds or the comm beep. Just record in normal speech :)

Once more advice, be sure to use your natural voice and not try to fake one. If you will receive a role, you might have to record quite a few lines (depending on the role) and then it can become difficult for you to always use the same voice.

If you are talented in voice faking, then of course go ahead. As long as you are able to use always the same it's o.k for us. :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

ill try not to.
I've listened to a LOT of dialogue... some good and lots bad. I hope the developers are critical about the voice overs because, and no offence to the prologue actors, portions of it were kind of cheesey. Just an opinion of course though.
ill try not to dissapoint

ill try not to.
I've listened to a LOT of dialogue... some good and lots bad. I hope the developers are critical about the voice overs because, and no offence to the prologue actors, portions of it were kind of cheesey. Just an opinion of course though.
ill try not to dissapoint

On the other hand, you've got people like me who enjoyed all of it.

Offline KeldorKatarn

The voices were all great. Only Major Baws could use a little more "acting" in his voice, like the voiceover of Sandman, or Ninja and that third instructor. The voice itself is good.

But all in all it is certainly at commercial level. I've seen much much worse in commercial games and not much better stuff. Most of the voices are movie quality I'd say, both in sound and acting.

Offline Tanstaafl32

• You're soaking in it!
    • Fourth Law
Greets:

Downloaded the prologue and was knocked out.  As for the voice acting, I'd like like to take a stab at it.  And I talked my wife into it as well.

Actually, I'm already done with all 26... :)

Later,

Tanstaafl32

Offline J.B.

I'd like to give it a try as well. I'm new here but I just tried out the Prologue and I loved it (despite how many times I blew up in the second training mission :p).

the quality is definately excellent i must say, and i thought ninja and assassin were well done. I think Baws and Sandman could use a little more "acting" though

the quality is definately excellent i must say, and i thought ninja and assassin were well done. I think Baws and Sandman could use a little more "acting" though

Sandman was better in some points then others. Baws was always so 'cool' he was like 'heeeeey guys, just chillax man.'

ahaha yeah. a little odd for a squad commander