Author Topic: Game crashes when I commit to mission  (Read 4765 times)

Game crashes when I commit to mission
Hey guys,

I'm playing (trying to at least) on Mac OS 10.3.9, on a PowerBook G4 12" (1.33 ghz model). When the mission briefing has been completed and I click on commit, the game crashes. I'm really looking forward to playing this game... anyone got an idea about what's wrong? I guess I should mention that FreeSpace 2 works fine, or at least it did when it was still on my HD.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: Game crashes when I commit to mission
You can attach the log file that CrashReporter made.  That will help track the problem down.  Also, what video card do you have?

But, the binary is really only for 10.4+.  How well it works on anything less is unknown.  So, that may be the problem right there.

Eh, that would suck if I needed 10.4 to play  :blah:

Crash log attached

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
The fact that it runs at all is a pretty good sign though. :)  It may end up working for you, barring any other issues.

From the log it looks like a driver issue, some required feature that isn't provided by your OpenGL drivers.  Let me know what video card you have and we'll go from there.

I'm excited  :D The card I have is a GeForce FX Go5200

I think I remember something about having to get OpenAL before I got Freespace 2 working as well. Is this problem related?

Oh yeah, and thanks for giving my problem a shot!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The windows installer for the game automatically installs OpenAL but the MacOS one may not. Your error doesn't sound like the OpenAL errors I've heard of on Windows but it won't hurt to get the latest version from OpenAL.org and install it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Hum, the latest OpenAL version is 1.1, but the only available OpenAL version for MacOS (to download at least) is 1.0

I've Googled a bit, and it seems 1.1 is included in Tiger. I'm using Panther, sooo... eh. Does WCSaga require OpenAL 1.1? If so, I guess I'm just out of luck. I'll have to wait until Leopard comes out so I can upgrade my OS.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I've Googled a bit, and it seems 1.1 is included in Tiger. I'm using Panther, sooo... eh. Does WCSaga require OpenAL 1.1? If so, I guess I'm just out of luck. I'll have to wait until Leopard comes out so I can upgrade my OS.
Yep, 1.1 only comes with newer updates on Tiger.  And officially it does require OpenAL 1.1.  Unofficially though, it doesn't actually do a version check except under Windows.  So as long as you have some version of OpenAL installed, it should work.  But I haven't actually tried it, so no promises. :)

Bah, OpenAL is installed, just not 1.1

Oh well... I'll just wait for Leopard. Hopefully then I can fire this bad boy up   ;)

Thanks for your help though!