Author Topic: its not working...at all  (Read 8843 times)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: its not working...at all
that does explain a lot :)

Windows x64 architecture has no real driver support. At least my experiences with it aren't the best.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_93.71.html
:p :D
Just go to Nvidia's driver page, and select your card & OS.
Not very hard, really...

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_93.71.html
:p :D
Just go to Nvidia's driver page, and select your card & OS.
Not very hard, really...

yeah, but x64 drivers aren't exactly the best. That's my personal experience though...

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

• Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't very Fuzzy Was He?
last time I got drivers there they didnt seem to work right and they dont give the specific option for new drivers for older cards
"Never start a fight, but always finish it."  - Captain John Sheridan
-------
In Diffucult Ground; Press On
In Encircled Ground; Devise Strategems
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Sun Tzu on The Art of War circa 400 B.C.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Yeah nVidia doesn't write drivers for the GeForce 2 anymore...it was already problematic back when I replaced mine about...6 years ago.  You're probably running in the Windows compatibility mode driver which will do D3D ok...well enough....but nothing else really good.  You're card is probably underperforming as the drivers aren't that great.

Depending on the age of your computer...a replacement could be had for as much as $60 which would be significantly more powerful than the old GTS (a fine card in its day I might say, I bought one and used it for years).
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
When you update nVidia drivers, you have to uninstall all the old ones first, restart, tell Windows to shut up about installing its own drivers, (you may have to boot safe mode to prevent its auto-install), then install the new one, otherwise you'll run into problems...

And yes, if your computer has PCI or AGP slots, you can buy a new graphics card for a fairly decent price; I get mine on eBay.  (like this one for PCI or that one for AGP ;7 )

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
it has no real practical sense to have a weak CPU and a high tech GPU. Not to mention that his PC won't be able to produce enough power :)

Geforce 4 Ti or, perhaps Geforce 6600 might be a good upgrade option though.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
The 1st one I mentioned was a 6200... :p
I pesonally use the AGP version of the 6200.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I clicked on the AGP link. I mean, older computers have only an AGP card slot :)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
There is a difference between PCI, and PCI-e
PCI is older than AGP
PCI-e is newer than AGP
PCI is the slot you plug extra sound cards, modems, hard disk controllers, etc into
"Peripheral Component Interface (or Interconnect, I can't remember)"
"Advanced Graphics Port"
PCI-e (-enhanced?)
A really old computer will only have PCI slots, and maybe some ISA slots, and possibly VESA slots or other similar.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
as far as I recall only Geforce 2 MX was available for the PCI slot :)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Quote from: http://www.bfgtech.com/6200_256_PCI.html
Minimum System Requirements

>> CPU with processor speed of 500MHz or higher
>> 128MB of RAM
>> An available PCI 2.0 slot
>> CD or DVD-ROM drive
>> 35MB available hard disk space
(50MB for full installation)
>> A minimum 250W power supply is recommended in systems where a number of other internal devices are installed
>> Microsoft® Windows® 98, ME, 2000, XP, NT4.0 with service pack 5 or 6

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yes, PCI-E was introduced a few years ago, first card available for PCI-E was either Geforce 5 or 6. Can't remember it from the top of my head.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 04:00:25 am by Tolwyn »

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_Component_Interconnect
Work on PCI began at Intel's Architecture Lab circa 1990. PCI 1.0, which was merely a component-level specification, was released on June 22, 1992. PCI 2.0, which was the first to establish standards for the connector and motherboard slot, was released on April 30, 1993. PCI 2.1 was released on June 1, 1995.
I did try to tell you that PCI-e and PCI are not the same, didn't I?
:lol: What year are you living in? 

*news flash: Microsoft states it will release its revolutionary new Operating System, to be called Windows '95, within two years.*
-Sorry, couldn't resist.  :D

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Are you reading between the lines? Looking through your posts... yes, I think you do.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Yes, you think I do what?  You didn't say anything.  (At least when stacked up with what I said, and what you originally said.)
-nice try ;7

Quote from: http://www.bfgtech.com/6200_256_PCI.html
Minimum System Requirements

>> CPU with processor speed of 500MHz or higher
>> 128MB of RAM
>> An available PCI 2.0 slot
>> CD or DVD-ROM drive
>> 35MB available hard disk space
(50MB for full installation)
>> A minimum 250W power supply is recommended in systems where a number of other internal devices are installed
>> Microsoft® Windows® 98, ME, 2000, XP, NT4.0 with service pack 5 or 6
Yes, PCI-E was introduced a few years ago, first card available for PCI-E was either Geforce 5 or 6. Can't remember it from the top of my head.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 05:00:25 AM by Tolwyn » ... so this post belongs after the next one by me.
Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_Component_Interconnect
Work on PCI began at Intel's Architecture Lab circa 1990. PCI 1.0, which was merely a component-level specification, was released on June 22, 1992. PCI 2.0, which was the first to establish standards for the connector and motherboard slot, was released on April 30, 1993. PCI 2.1 was released on June 1, 1995.
I did try to tell you that PCI-e and PCI are not the same, didn't I?
:lol: What year are you living in? 

*news flash: Microsoft states it will release its revolutionary new Operating System, to be called Windows '95, within two years.*
-Sorry, couldn't resist.  :D

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 05:00:25 AM by Tolwyn »

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_component_interconnect
With the introduction of the serial PCI Express standard in 2004, motherboard manufacturers have included progressively fewer PCI expansion slots in favor of the new standard. Although it is still common to see both interfaces implemented side-by-side, traditional PCI is likely to slowly die out in coming years.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 10:23:03 am by jr2 »

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Trying to be smart, are we?

spoken by Admiral Tolwyn

Admiral Tolwyn, Confed serial number C21-701! I find you guilty of violating article nine subsection x-twelve paragraph three of the uniform court of military justice, editing your forum post without approval by jr2. Such action at the time of war constitutes high treason against the Terran Confederation. All rank privelages and benefits as a citizen of the Terran confederation are hereby revoked. You will be transferred to the Vega Penal Colony at 1900 hours. That is all, Mr. Tolwyn.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 12:21:27 pm by Tolwyn »

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
:lol:
:wakka:
That was funny.

But you know ur guilty (of obfuscation of this conversation) :p
Don't make me prove it... you don't want me to..
Okay, enough trivial stuff, I'm sure you are now aware that PCI 2.0 came out long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away...  Oops, wrong story *ahem*.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
:lol:
:wakka:
That was funny.

But you know ur guilty :p
Don't make me prove it... you don't want me to..
Okay, enough trivial stuff, I'm sure you are now aware that PCI 2.0 came out long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away...  Oops, wrong story *ahem*.

I am sure you are now aware... my dear man, I know certainly enough about computers.

I may have made a small typo while writing my reply. Partially because I had other things on my mind. So, please, stop being a know it all.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I'm not a know it all... why didn't you just say "oops, typo?".... or is that what you meant?
It was looking to me like you tried to change your post, and make my response to it look weird..

PS How long u worked on computers?  Is it a hobby?