Author Topic: The Darkest Dawn is Cleared for Launch  (Read 183661 times)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
The Darkest Dawn is Cleared for Launch
At long last, the day has finally arrived! It has been ten years to the day that the Wing Commander Saga project was officially founded. Through this time, Saga has evolved through a host of iterations, with sometimes frustrating twists and turns and several brick walls. However, we believe that Wing Commander Saga would not be what it is today without the lessons we have learned from each one of those experiences, and we are very excited to finally share the results with you.

On many occasions, we have referred to Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn as a labor of love. That is truly what it has been for us. Many years ago, Chris Roberts and his team at Origin ignited our imaginations with their innovative, blockbuster Wing Commander series. Our hope has always been that with Wing Commander Saga, we could recapture that excitement and magic to some degree and share it with all of you. Our ten year development process has certainly taught us even more respect for just how innovative and brilliant Chris Roberts and his team are. Our development of Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn is meant as an homage to them and what they achieved, and we would like to thank them and EA, who holds the intellectual property for Wing Commander. We would also like to thank all the sites who have generously offered to provide mirrors for Saga.

If Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn is your introduction to the Wing Commander universe, you owe it to yourself to try the source material that inspired us. Several of the original Wing Commander games are available at gog.com, so make sure to show your support for the actual creators of Wing Commander by going and purchasing some copies! You won't regret it. Especially make sure to pick up a copy of Wing Commander III, since the story of Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn was written to coincide with the events of that game.

Today we are only launching the PC vesion. The Linux and Mac versions will be available soon. We just need to port the launcher to OSX and Linux and run some tests.

For help troubleshooting known issues click here to visit our forums. We'd also love to here your thoughts about the game, so feel free to join us there!

So, without further ado, we are pleased to present you with Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn. It's humanity's most desperate hour, a desperate struggle for survival against impossible odds, and you've got a front row seat.

Update:

This full release of Wing Commander Saga contains two campaigns. The first is an upgraded version of the original “Prologue” campaign. It has been upgraded with an expanded story, more characters in-game, Wing Commander style autopilot sequences (rather than the long, time accelerated autopilot sequences used in the original prologue) and updated graphics and game play. This five mission campaign set aboard the TCS Wellington teaches the player how to play Wing Commander Saga and sets the stage for the main campaign. You can select the prologue by going to the campaign room and highlighting the “Prologue” campaign. Even if you played the original prologue, we highly recommend you play the updated prologue to bring you up to speed with all the changes that have happened since the original release.

From there, you can go to the campaign room and select “The Darkest Dawn” campaign. This campaign will assume that you have learned everything that the “Prologue” campaign is designed to introduce you to. This is the all new, 50 mission campaign based on the TCS Hermes.

Download

demonews.de
gamershell.com
atomicgamer.com
shacknews.com
wcnews.com
mindcrushers.de
emumovies.com
rapidshare (1.5GB links)
rapidshare (400MB links)

Launch Trailer

Watch on Youtube

DVD Cover

Download
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 02:36:33 pm by Tolwyn »
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: The Darkest Dawn is Cleared for Launch
Awesome, downloading now.  :)

Offline wuu

Congratulations, WC team!
Der Freigeist

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I would say more, but I don't know what. There are no words to describe how I feel. 10 years of waiting. And it's only a few hours away, being downloaded right now.
Is it really real?

Jess Dragon i feel the same..
i have now to wait until DL is finished (approx. 4h)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
3.3 gig from gamershell.com :wtf: I though BP weighed in heavy lol
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Just a quick question: some time ago there was talk about a german version of WCS. Was this prospect realized? If yes is the german version included in this download, or will it be released at a later date?

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Just came home and saw this thread...the anticipation...while waiting for the game to be downloaded from gamershell with 3.1MB/s...still 17 min to go...and the grimdark realisation that i wont be able to play it today...at least it will be waiting on my HD...tomorrow evening.

Thank you guys for the game, for all those years of dedicated work! Kudos to you.

ack! CRC on my first dl attempt.  good thing the install is broken into manageable bits.  DL'ing again! (and napping)
"Do you plunder?"
"I have been known to plunder..."
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09
"Hope for the best, expect the worst." -Heinlein

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
ack! CRC on my first dl attempt.  good thing the install is broken into manageable bits.  DL'ing again! (and napping)

I did not have the time to test rapidshare download links, so if those are broken, please lemme now.

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Oh, no, I meant the .tiz files within the zip. only one was corrupt (it happens, after all I WAS downloading at 3 MB/S with a manager).  that was from spacesimcentral. downloading from Gamershell using a single connect now. 
"Do you plunder?"
"I have been known to plunder..."
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09
"Hope for the best, expect the worst." -Heinlein

Wo-Ho! It's time to celebrate the release! :)
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
List of mirrors updated.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Someone should add an anouncement to the frontpage.  :nod:

Offline Mikes

34 minutes... 33 minutes... lip quiver ... 32 minutes...

::: tries to make download move faster by staring at it intensely :::

:)

Rapidshare Links (400 MB) worked for me.  Congratulations on the release!

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Does the Wing commander saga build support recent shader like contrast and saturation ? I want to test the new visual with my current shader settings I used in several FSO mods.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Does the Wing commander saga build support recent shader like contrast and saturation ? I want to test the new visual with my current shader settings I used in several FSO mods.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=80307.0;topicseen

Saga is capable of utilising Shader 3

edit
fixed spelling
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
I'm not talking about pixel shader, but the post_processing.tbl that contains at least those lines:
Code: [Select]
#Effects

$Name: distort noise
$Uniform: noise_amount
$Define: FLAG_DISTORT_NOISE
$AlwaysOn: false
$Default: 0.0
$Div: 20000
$Add: 0

$Name: saturation
$Uniform: saturation
$Define: FLAG_SATURATION
$AlwaysOn: true
$Default: 0.40 ;; 0.30
$Div: 5000
$Add: 50

$Name: contrast
$Uniform: contrast
$Define: FLAG_CONTRAST
$Default: 1.1 ;; 1.1
$Div: 5000 ;; 50

$Name: film grain
$Uniform: film_grain
$Define: FLAG_GRAIN
$Default: 0.15 ;; 045, 0.15
$Div: 50

$Name: stripes
$Uniform: tv_stripes
$Define: FLAG_STRIPES
$AlwaysOn: false ;; false
$Default: 0.10 ;; 0.15

$Name: cutoff
$Uniform: cutoff
$Define: FLAG_CUTOFF
$Default: 1.5
$Add: 0.0

$Name: dithering
$Uniform: dither
$Define: FLAG_DITH
$AlwaysOn: false
$Default: 0.0

Congratulations! can't wait to play. Only another 6 hours of download to go :(. thanks again for all the work you've put into this :yes:
May the Force be with you