Author Topic: Mouse Control  (Read 25918 times)

Offline CaptJosh

I had been wondering if it was possible to adapt the interface scripting to allow for the interactive elements, myself. Wing Commanger, as far as I know, never had shooter elements, but you could go to different parts of the ship and talk to people. Depending on who you talked to and what you said, it could have an affect on the outcome of some of the missions, like a wingman staying alive instead of getting himself killed, for example.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline newman

I'm sure it would be possible code-wise after a lot of work. But art-wise, we're talking such an incredible amount of work that I wouldn't count on seeing this feature. Making the actual ship interiors would be the least of your problems; modeling and texturing characters is a lot more work, and character animation is the most difficult type of animation to pull off looking right. I think I'd rather see that much work pulled towards new campaigns, tbh.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Sombre

You can now stop whining. First patch is available and it adds FS2 style mouse control. Yes, we are listening.

Thanks. Without this I really couldn't enjoy WCS at all. I play with a mouse and joystick (plus very few keyboard commands) and use the mouse for precision aiming and firing.

I don't see people whining, I see them wanting to enjoy your game and giving feedback that the controls are a major barrier. Maybe I don't understand the context though.

With the FS mouse control option it's been really fun so far, though I also had to turn up the difficulty (now that I can fly/shoot straight).

You can now stop whining. First patch is available and it adds FS2 style mouse control. Yes, we are listening.

Thanks. Without this I really couldn't enjoy WCS at all. I play with a mouse and joystick (plus very few keyboard commands) and use the mouse for precision aiming and firing.

I don't see people whining, I see them wanting to enjoy your game and giving feedback that the controls are a major barrier. Maybe I don't understand the context though.

With the FS mouse control option it's been really fun so far, though I also had to turn up the difficulty (now that I can fly/shoot straight).

100% Signed !!!!!
With FS2 Mouse steering the game is wonderful.
Without patch i had a hit ratio from about 6% with Mouse and 15% with Stick - But now !!! up to 30-50% - this is a drastic difference

Thanks a lot !!!

Offline gslack

My first post here! I was looking for something on the mouse reticule and settings for it and found this forum and thread. First a big thanks to all the developers, programmers, artists and people who made this game possible. Was an avid WC gamer back in the day and this is really a great way to be nostalgic and have more modern visuals to do it with. TY!

I have to agree with the mouse reticule being a hard thing to adjust to after playing FS2. The patch was pinpoint and fast, TY for that! About the little arguement over a joystick, as far I am concerned, this is a fun game for me, probably wouldn't be any more or less fun for me with a mouse or joystick. However, a mouse setup is easier to get as many people playing as possible. So IMHO the point of it is, who do you want to play this game? As many people as possible or just those with a joystick or controller? The largest audience won't have a joystick or the desire to go buy one for one game which they may or may not play for very long.  In my busy schedule hooking up a flight stick and clearing desk space for it is just one extra bit of time that I will have to spend not playing. I use the mouse and keyboard cause its fast, easy and already there. I'm not a game developer or salesman but I do remember enough from that business course I took years ago, one should always try and reach the biggest potential audience one can..
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 03:19:22 am by gslack »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Heresy!  Only the privileged elite joystick users should be allowed to rule play!  :lol:

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Obligatory "wait there are still people using a joystick in mah 2012".
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Obligatory "wait there are still people using a joystick in mah 2012".

Obligatory "stop this bull****". Consider this a warning.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Right, so the guy above me can do a lighthearted comment and I can't ? Why don't you just lock the thread if you feel it's not being serious enough.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes, because as far as I am aware, he's not trying to turn "x? in mah <year>?" into a meme.

Actually, let me apologize. I jumped the gun on the warning thing; while I do consider the act of saying "You're still using x? How quaint." to be slightly annoying, it did not deserve the warning, or even the threat of one. Mea culpa.

(Note to self: do not moderate forums after having been annoyed by cow orker)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 04:52:50 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
What's a cow orker? :D  JK, it just sounded funny. :)

Anyway, BTT: Joystick vs. Mouse is an interesting thing. Most people playing WCS outside of the hardcore Spacesim- and Flightsim- communities, (and even lots of those inside) play WCS with the mouse. I couldn't  play it with keyboard and/or mouse to save my life, I hardly it anything that way, but I know there are quite some people who not only prefer playing with a mouse because it is there already (no need to plug in a Joystick) but actually prefer the mouse because it is more precise.

Fun fact: Both mouse variants that are available are used, and there are people that can only use one of them and say the other is impossible to play with.
For me mouse controls always had the problem that if you fly a lot of turns they are most annoying. I understand the precision thing though, compared to a simple/cheap joystick.
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
About the better precission of the mouse over the joystick I have so say that I just bought a new joystick, since my old one broke while moveing.
After consulting with someone from the WingCenter and doing some research I bought a Thrustmaster 16000M. It uses a quite different technic then my old stick and without going into the technical details I just want to say that this one is very precise. I would say it is pretty much as presice as the mouse controle, except you want to target a specific pixel ^_^

Personaly the argument about precission died for me with this stick.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
How much was the Tmaster 16000M?

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
With shipping about 40€
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"