Author Topic: Star Trek: Legacy  (Read 10456 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
on skirmish the borg cube is way too powerful for any ship to take down in the TNG era.

No ****, because in the TNG era the Borg were only newly encountered. :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Yeah, I don't know what everyone is *****ing about. My girlfriend got it for me on the 360, and I've been having a blast. Still on the NX era missions, which are okay, but man is skirmish FUN. I love the ship designs they came up with for the game, some really unique ships there. Especially for the Romulans. One thing that I am a bit curious about, is for the NX era ships, why did they design all these new classes for it? If you recall, on the show, they had three or so other classes of Federation starships that they used. Why didn't they put them in the game? Not really complaining here, just wondering. Oh, and another thing, I really like how they designed the Poseidon Destroyer, it really connects the design aesthetics of the NX ships to the TOS ships.

The two (or three) other canon designs for the period, the Daedalus, the warp 3 combat ship seen at the end of Season 2 and in an alternate timeline episode of Season 3, and the ship shown in the title sequence aren't in game oddly enough.

The Yorktown class though is a wonderful mix of Enterprise and TOS designs.

it certainly opens up first contact with the borg and the romulans.
this was made at the same timeline as the the xindi threat and time travellers no doubt. i mean in the show they had pulse lasers on the nx-01 and in the game they have phasers, but still its great.

on skirmish the borg cube is way too powerful for any ship to take down in the TNG era.

Lasers were only used in Ent's pilot, "phase cannons" were used throughout the show. (though slightly redder and with a different sound effect than in-game, one somewhat reminiscent of the TOS sound)

Similarly the 'torpedoes' were replaced with photon torpedoes in the 3rd season.

Legacy did open up one good idea: early nuclear weapons disabling Romulan ships.

I'd love to see that expanded on to tie in what's seen in Enterprise and what's described for the Earth-Romulan War in TOS.

Combat ships don't have viewscreens due to not needing them (Romulans use audio only and their cloaks mean that visual is useless anyway), the stealth-defeating sensors probably would wind up visually being more like DRADIS in BSG (but a bit cleaner and more advanced looking as this is Trek afterall) nuclear weapons are used as the armaments due to their ability to disable/disrupt Romulan power grids. So the ships wind up becoming warp 7 engine torpedo boats with a handful of point defense lasers. So refitted Yorktowns and Daedaluses loaded to the brim with nukes become the thing of the day.

Similarly transporters being used to deliver nukes (SG: Atlantis style) would make sense. Romulan stealth defeats precise deployment but the Earth tactic is to warp in, beam nukes near Romulan ships, and pray really hard that they did the trick because if they don't work the Romulans can tear the human ships to shreds. The Romulans to counter since Earth ships aren't shielded decide on using nuclear weapons as well, and there's an arms race on stealth and stealth countering as it relates to Romulans using cloaked nuclear weapons and ambushes.

Ship crews are mostly Reman, so no Romulan bodies save for a few half-vaporized commanders are found (genetic damage is too much to tell the relation to Vulcans, only that they're humanoid and not Reman), and in ground combat the Romulans are never seen due to having the Remans fight.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 03:59:57 am by Ace »
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
what you just suggested is the ST equiv of depth charging  :)
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Harbinger of DOOM

• Three fries short of a Happy Meal.
Heh, sooooo

Feds = U.S./Royal Navy Destroyers
vs
Romulans = Nazi U-Boats
aldo_14 ~ "The ego has landed."
an0n ~ "Wheee, I can spam and no-one will notice!"

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Heh, sooooo

Feds = U.S./Royal Navy Destroyers
vs
Romulans = Nazi U-Boats

Yup, pretty much :)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.