Community Projects > The FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project

Derelict Needs a Facelift

(1/21) > >>

rscaper1070:
Derelict has turned into one of my favorite mods. The story is engaging, the missions are a challenge, and it's VA'd to boot. On the other hand the planets are just awful compared to what can be put up there now. With some new backgrounds I think this mod would be unbelievable.

Mobius:
:yes:

It'd be nice to have a list of known bugs/issues/whatever. I restarted the campaign, taking note of many things which IMHO had to be changed, but progress stopped when I became inactive about one year ago and I have no idea where those papers are now. Adding enhanced backgrounds and starfields were also in my agenda.

If anyone can provide a list, it'd be great: not only it won't force me from replaying the whole campaign again... it will also ensure that the bugs I missed will be fixed. :)

rscaper1070:
Well it's probably a horrible hack but I copied the MV_Effects.vp from mediavps_3612 and dropped it into the Derelict mod folder. The results are a thousand times better but like I said it's probably not the best way to do things. Thing is I've been up and down that wiki and it's tutorials and I have only been able to learn some relevant basics. Much is missing or woefully out of date. I realize people are busy, and  I admit I'd rather have people working on making the game better, but something needs to be done about the tutorials. As a reference source the wiki is pretty good, it just leaves practical application to trial and error.  A community like this deserves a comprehensive tutorial wiki much like The Elder Scrolls has.

Sorry didn't mean to go into a wiki rant.

General Battuta:

--- Quote from: rscaper1070 on September 19, 2010, 03:49:15 pm ---Well it's probably a horrible hack but I copied the MV_Effects.vp from mediavps_3612 and dropped it into the Derelict mod folder. The results are a thousand times better but like I said it's probably not the best way to do things. Thing is I've been up and down that wiki and it's tutorials and I have only been able to learn some relevant basics. Much is missing or woefully out of date. I realize people are busy, and  I admit I'd rather have people working on making the game better, but something needs to be done about the tutorials. As a reference source the wiki is pretty good, it just leaves practical application to trial and error.  A community like this deserves a comprehensive tutorial wiki much like The Elder Scrolls has.

--- End quote ---

Once the 3.6.12 MediaVPs are patched, Derelict can simply be altered to use the 3.6.12 MVPs by editing the mod.ini (or so I hope.)

The E:

--- Quote from: rscaper1070 on September 19, 2010, 03:49:15 pm ---Well it's probably a horrible hack but I copied the MV_Effects.vp from mediavps_3612 and dropped it into the Derelict mod folder. The results are a thousand times better but like I said it's probably not the best way to do things. Thing is I've been up and down that wiki and it's tutorials and I have only been able to learn some relevant basics. Much is missing or woefully out of date. I realize people are busy, and  I admit I'd rather have people working on making the game better, but something needs to be done about the tutorials. As a reference source the wiki is pretty good, it just leaves practical application to trial and error.  A community like this deserves a comprehensive tutorial wiki much like The Elder Scrolls has.

--- End quote ---

Well, maybe, JUST MAYBE, you should post those deficiencies somewhere? Like in the FS WIki board here on the site? So that someone can TAKE A LOOK and IMPROVE IT? Instead of ranting about it here?

Also, even if something like that mediavps hack works for you, don't, for crying out loud, encourage others to do so. We put out the various guides FOR A REASON. That reason being that we know they work. Should you encounter problems, you're on your own.

So, in the end, instead of posting a workaround, why don't you tell us what problems you encountered running Derelict with the new mvps? We already know about one (beam fade), are there others?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version