Author Topic: Radar Icon Glitch in Freespace Blue version of As Lightning Fall  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Radar Icon Glitch in Freespace Blue version of As Lightning Fall
Ok...I'm playing Freespace Blue with the new radar icons installed, but for the life of me, I can't see any of the purple colored Nav Buoys. I can't even see Nav 2 from Nav 1 on my radar, even with Infinite Range enabled. And because of the following:

I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that the Grall is exactly in front of you at the beginning of the mission. Just go straight for some kilometers.

No! the Grall´s arrival cue is:
<
  distance
    Alpha 1
    NB 8

some of the NB's appear only after you have eliminated certain shivan wings...
once all hostiles are down proceed to the nearest NB and go a distance of 0, cycle throug the targets and voila! you will get the bouy you are looking for!
(I recall that you could add the NBs to a target group once you once had targeted them -- dunno if that still works/helps)

I can't even get to the Grall by flying straight ahead at the start of the mission. I just tested that and the Grall never appeared.

So, I can't cheat and find the Grall by cheesing the missionby flying straight; I can't see any of the buoys besides the first one because I can't follow the path from even the first buoy to the second, never mind following all the buoys in sequence; and because I never encounter any hostiles, I can't even use the 5-mission-failed shortcut to get to the next mission (never mind that I want to avoid the shortcut because it will cut down on my kills). And clicking off the new radar icons in the Knossos Modify menu option just gives me a blank radar, not the original FS2 radar icons.

So how do I get the other buoys to show up on my radar so I can at least follow the path???

Here's the debug log: https://fsnebula.org/log/5ea3790ecb0d3321b1c98635
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 06:41:33 pm by Su-tehp »
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Re: Radar Icon Glitch in Freespace Blue version of As Lightning Fall
Well for the gameplay part, the simplest way to get it done is simply "always fly ahead" - atleast that was in retail FS2, dunno if Battuta changed anything. Don't touch the controls (aside speed/AB), just ignore bouys, enemy fighters etc.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Well for the gameplay part, the simplest way to get it done is simply "always fly ahead" - atleast that was in retail FS2, dunno if Battuta changed anything. Don't touch the controls (aside speed/AB), just ignore bouys, enemy fighters etc.

But that won't work anymore, as I said above. I flew straight for more than 50 clicks and never found the Grall. According to what 0rph3u5 said, the Grall won't even appear unless you get within 1292 meters on Nav Buoy 8, so flying straight doesn't work anymore.

I just replayed ALF once more and Nav Buoys 2-4 (and presumably 5-8 as well) all disappear after a distance of 1400 meters, long before you could ever see the next buoy in sequence which are always spaced roughly 2300-2500 meters apart. Makes it especially hard to progress from one buoy to the next if the chain is broken at every point. :ick: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I never had this much trouble with ALF when I played it in retail... Hell, I didn't have this much trouble when I played FS2 a few weeks ago on the Upgraded MediaVPs version. :wtf:
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
This is interesting. I replayed FSBlue a couple months ago, that would be about two minor updates for BPC since I did it. And I had no problems of that nature whatsoever, radar icons for buoys were fine, the more distant ones got proper shaking blips, and that mission also had the buoys illuminated with repeating shockwave effects emanating from them.

That would mean that either something is wrong in the tables (buoys not getting proper icons) or something went wrong with FSO. I can see you're running 19.0.0-RC3, what about trying to run it on the 19.0.0 stable release or some new nightlies?

Also, maybe try that with 3D Radar turned on or off? The results of that might give us some info to work with.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Well that post didn't age well ...

Let me break down the sequence of loop2-1.fs2 as it is in FS Blue-version:

- You start at position 0-0-0, your orientation is randomized
- NB 2 is at position 0-0-2275 (which would be straight ahead in the original)
- if you get within a radius of 1247 meters from NB 2, Virgo wing will appear in the mission area
- 10 seconds after Virgo wing has arrived, NB 8 will appear in the mission area (at an approx. position of 474-(-100)-10624)
- as soon as you reach a distance of 1292 meters or less from NB 8, the Grall will appear

What is changed from the original and which makes the "fly ahead"-method no longer work is that the randomisation of the starting orientation was introduced. To offset that you're supposed get the a visiual effect every 5-6 seconds, however only for the buoys which are closer than 2800 meters (and not for NB 8).

*comments on the nature of these changes withheld*
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."