Author Topic: Gamepad recommendations  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Gamepad recommendations
What would be the gamepad of choice these days for PC? the XBOX pads are the default supported controller for most gamepad games, but I do not feel like making any more deals with something like MS than I need to, which also rules out DS and Steam controller I guess, if I can help it. I did some research and apparently Logitech F310 seems a popular one, but, as I've found out, it's priced exactly the same as 360 wired, which makes it look like a less of a great deal. What would be my other options? I do not intend to pay more than for a 360 wired, that would be fairly excessive for my income.
edit: I have nothing againts wireless controllers if the price gap isn't huge. I also heard about some compatibility issues with W10, which could be a factor in the future.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 07:30:39 am by Kobrar44 »
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Re: Gamepad recommendations
Unfortunately there aren't many choices for PC gamepads.
It's either logitech or Xbox, I didn't want to spend the money on one either but I was lucky in finding a used wired xbox360 pad in good conditions at twenty euros.

Unfortunately I think it's very difficult to manifacture something reasonably solid and have all the features a modern gamepad requires like analog clickable sticks and triggers with a price lower than the 30 Euros of a F310.

EDIT

Also with a wireless Xbox pad you have to buy a dongle that's manufactured only by Microsoft, I don't know if it's the same for the wireless logitechs or if they use bluetooth, but if you don't want to spend too much wireless it's out of the picture.

The steam controller seems a bit rubbish to me, unless you plan on playing civilization V sitting on your couch in the living room it seems that normal gamepads do the job better.

EDIT2

Also, I heard once that the F310 can be recognized as a xbox controller by the PC games that support it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 09:33:15 am by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I have a wireless 360 controller, but I am on my 2nd Windows receiver for it.  When this one dies, I will probably get a wired 360 gamepad.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
I have the XBox 360 wireless controller and the Nvidia Shield controller, both seem to be solid bets.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
What would be the gamepad of choice these days for PC? the XBOX pads are the default supported controller for most gamepad games, but I do not feel like making any more deals with something like MS than I need to, which also rules out DS and Steam controller I guess, if I can help it. I did some research and apparently Logitech F310 seems a popular one, but, as I've found out, it's priced exactly the same as 360 wired, which makes it look like a less of a great deal. What would be my other options? I do not intend to pay more than for a 360 wired, that would be fairly excessive for my income.
edit: I have nothing againts wireless controllers if the price gap isn't huge. I also heard about some compatibility issues with W10, which could be a factor in the future.

Try an XB 360 controller by a 3rd party (like Afterglow) - about $30, good quality.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
probably (scratch that - definitely) not good for anything but emulators, but i saw a USB n64 controller in my local retro games store.  fair bet it's available online somewhere (amazon).
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

Try an XB 360 controller by a 3rd party (like Afterglow) - about $30, good quality.
For that same price you can get the Logitech that possibly as a slightly better D-pad than the x360 and its knock-offs.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor