Author Topic: Alpha-class XG-1 Star Wing  (Read 8194 times)

Alpha-class XG-1 Star Wing
Hey there, for a while I've lurked watching progress on Fate of the Galaxy. I'm a huge fan of Freespace 2 and as a modeller I'm a huge fan of the ships from Star Wars, so naturally these two interests have led me here.

I just wanted to show a preview of a very early model of the Alpha-class Star Wing from the X-Wing games I'm working on, which I noticed is on the list of unfinished ships that need work on.

My version of the model is on the left. The right is a model taken from Thrawn's Revenge for Empire at War, which I will be using as a reference for my work. I will also be adapting the appearance of the Star Wing in Fantasy Flight Game's X-Wing, given that I personally prefer the appearance there as the original is a bit too colorful for what I think Imperial ships look like. And it also will be more apparent that the Star Wing incorporates some technology used in Tie Fighters such as the solar panels on the hull.

I will say that this is all I will be posting for now, since I'm working on a thesis I'm passing up for drafting soon and then working on the final version of. But that means in a month or two I should definitely have more time to work on this.

If anyone from the dev team is looking at this, here is a link to my imgur gallery - where I post most pictures of my work.
https://flipdark95.imgur.com/all/

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Alpha-class XG-1 Star Wing
Personally I was always hoping to see something a little more like Starslayer's interpretation, but a completed Gunboat is a completed Gunboat regardless.

Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Ghhnnnnnnnn Starslayers drawings always hit the spot.

Props to the OP work too :yes: :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I was just wondering, what aspects of Starslayer's concept for the Star Wing differ from my model? Since my model is still in the early stages I can definitely incorporate some details from his interpretation.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The top wing having that leading point for one, and the torpedo pod shape seem to be the biggest departures.  Also, have you ever seen FractalSponge's version?  It has a lot of detail.  But as far as detailing goes, since it is a Cygnus ship, I'd take hints from the Lambda shuttle when it comes to greebles, to have more manufacturer continuity.

If you need any ideas for the rear end of the ship, one thing that occurred to me is that the rears of the torpedo pods would probably have to open for loading, like submarine tubes, unless they are loaded like a muzzle loading musket from the front.  But I think being able to style them with a hatch on the rear end would add some character.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Oh yeah, I get what you mean with the leading point on the top. Definitely will include that. With the torpedo racks, I'm honestly a bit confused on them since they seem to be located in front of the engine pods, which to me seems like they're reloaded from the side or something, or from the front. I've definitely taken a look at FractalSponge's version and I'll be using that for some inspiration as well, especially for the back half of the main fuselage where it can take some hints from the Lambda a bit.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I see what you mean, but there seems to be two schools of thought on that rear-end design of this ship, even both portrayed on its Wookiee page (see below).

Personally, I favor the pods simply being torpedo pods and not dual purpose.  I think it makes more sense, especially given the same design for the Lambda shuttle.  Two things I just noticed on StarSlayer's drawing are that he seems to have placed some small 'intakes' on the sides of the main hull, and also, his cockpit area is partially detached from the rest of the hull, similar to the Lambda, but unlike most other XG-1 interpretations. 

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
We actually already have an almost complete Starwing/Assault Gunboat.  It still needs some texture work, so if you're willing to lend a hand, I'd rather not recreate the wheel and start from scratch, but try to finish this one instead.
Final-StarWing(View in 3D)

Ah okay, yeah I can help out on the texturing for that. I've been looking into how to texture ships in particular for a while now, but never really gotten around to it.