Author Topic: Team Loadout Test Build  (Read 8650 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Team Loadout Test Build
Based on the latest CVS this should hopefully fix some of the problems people have been having with the May 17th build. The Team Loadout stuff is also included as are several changes that haven't hit CVS yet. If no one crashes out horribly like with the April 25th build they'll go in soon :)

FS2_Open
FRED2_Open

EDIT : The changes to the change-ship-class SEXP are also included so there's no need for IP Andrews and MAG to ask about a special build :)

EDIT 2 : Links updated
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 02:05:10 pm by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Re: Team Loadout Test Build
I've noticed something weird about this latest build. When I'm playing the first mission of the main FS2 campaign about 3 minutes in to the game the sound suddenly goes weird on me. All the voice/sound effects mute and I can only here the faint music in the background.

I tried it with the default FS2 flags and also running in OpenGL and D3D but no luck.

I've also tried the may17th build and that worked just fine for me.

PS: I just tried it with the Derelict and Transcend mod. Still the same problem though.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 04:49:04 am by Don-DiZzLe »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Strange. I'll have to test that one out for myself.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Ooohh... new option for bay departure/arrival cues.  Drooolll.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
They don't actually do anything yet though :)

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I've played for a while with your new build and I haven't lost sound.

BUT sound volume settings are weird. From the fifth dot, more or less, I get the maximum level (or nearly the maximum, I've got very bad speakers). Put the level in 4 'dots' and compare with may 17th (in fact, my previous builds are Backslash's beta one and may 22th CVS compiled).
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'm compiling a new build as we speak. No idea what Taylor has changed in ds.cpp (I've not even looked!) but any change there is probably a good thing :)

EDIT : Links updated
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 02:05:30 pm by karajorma »

Nope still no luck. I'm on a WinXP SP2 system with the latest ATI Omega drivers. I have an nforce3 system with onboard audio, also with the latest drivers.

The sound ingame just sounds "distorted" somehow, its a bit difficult to explain. For instance one time I hear only the primary gun fire sounds, other times its just the music and/or voices with no sound at all.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
The sound ingame just sounds "distorted" somehow, its a bit difficult to explain. For instance one time I hear only the primary gun fire sounds, other times its just the music and/or voices with no sound at all.
Do the sounds appear to move around a bit?  Like over to one side or behind you, then they stay that way for a little bit, then move back?

I had commented out some lines which reset the listener position every time a sound plays (it shouldn't change so I don't think they were needed at the moment) but having the listener wrong would give you such an effect.  I'll have to put those lines back and then we'll see if that fixes it.

Yeah I think that might describe it.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
On the upside, I can get screen captures again.  On the downside, I'm getting the corupted-background-on-2nd-or-later-or-replay-mission bug.  Even worse, FSO is now starting to miss-render some craft (fighters typically) by suddenly removing their textures.  Now, its not like the bug where its in the wrong DDS dimensions or missing textures, but just decides to do this.  As with the corrupted background thing, this only occurs on the 2nd mission.  Ending the program and restarting will return the affected craft to their intended appearance.

Here's a screenshot of the background corruption thing:

Something else I'm getting with the debug build, is this:

Warning: Debriefing persona index must be in the range of 0 and 254 for mission 'B37.fs2'!

Any idea what that is?  Debug FRED doesn't give this, only debug FSO.  I hadn't encountered this until today, but apparently all debug builds from some time back give it for this and other missions.   I've looked through in notepad and I can't find anything about debriefing persona in either missions it does complain about, and those that it doesn't.  It should be noted that this error comes up as soon as a pilot is selected that is assigned to a campaign that this thing complains about, either during startup of the game or selected from the pilot room.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 07:05:54 pm by Trivial Psychic »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It probably didn't get initialized.  Mantis it.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Code: [Select]
The Debriefing Persona stuff has been in FS2_Open for a while but this build is the first one that had a version of FRED that was able to do anything with it AFAIK.

Did you save the files that you're testing using this version of FRED? If so that's your problem.

I'm actually getting an assertion of my own thanks to this code.

[quote]Assert: pl != NULL
File: D:\C++\Freespace\fs2_open\code\Mission\MissionCampaign.cpp
Line: 698[/quote]

That's thanks to this piece of code.

[code]int mission_campaign_load( char *filename, player *pl, int load_savefile )
{
int len, rval, i;
char name[NAME_LENGTH], type[NAME_LENGTH];

filename = cf_add_ext(filename, FS_CAMPAIGN_FILE_EXT);

// open localization
lcl_ext_open();

if ( pl == NULL )
pl = Player;

Assert( pl != NULL);

This was in the campaign editor and not in FS2 BTW.

Seeing as how the debriefing index stuff is Goober's addition (I've not even looked to see what it actually does) you'll have to wait for him to post to find out what's the actual problem. [/code]

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Did you save the files that you're testing using this version of FRED? If so that's your problem.

I just attempted a re-save of the first of the missions in this campaign, but it still gave that error when I launched the debug FSO.  I also tried re-saving of the campaign file just to be sure, but no luck.  I saw no controls for persona in the debriefing editor.

Also, the FRED build still isn't showing skyboxes.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It's in the campaign editor.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
OK.  I found it.  So, what does it do, and what should I set it to?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It controls the persona (the voice) that speaks the debriefing for promotions and such.  It's hard-coded in FS2, and any non-main-campaign mission will default to 9 (Petrarch).  I added this feature for the Port so that Admirals Wolf, Shima, Scott, and Training Guy will give their appropriate schpiels at the appropriate time.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Do the sounds appear to move around a bit?  Like over to one side or behind you, then they stay that way for a little bit, then move back?

I had commented out some lines which reset the listener position every time a sound plays (it shouldn't change so I don't think they were needed at the moment) but having the listener wrong would give you such an effect.  I'll have to put those lines back and then we'll see if that fixes it.
I just committed the fix to restore the listener setup.  See if it's any better in the next build.

I just completed 3 missions after I did a fresh Windows XP install. The sound is now just fine with the 31st build. I have no more distortion problems. Maybe it wasn't a bug after all?

My bad.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It probably was a bug. There were changes between those two builds you know :)