Author Topic: Unable to launch FSO nightly build on wxLauncher  (Read 973 times)

Unable to launch FSO nightly build on wxLauncher
Choosing the nightly build FS2 Open executable in wxLauncher causes an error "The application was unable to start correctly". The launcher immediately freezes afterwards, and I am unable to kill the process unless I restart the computer. I have tried several nightly builds all with the same results. Only the 3.7.0 final build worked without an issue. I don't really know what went wrong, since I couldn't find a precedent for this issue.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Re: Unable to launch FSO nightly build on wxLauncher
This error message is not in the wxLauncher code base, so it's coming from somewhere in wxWidgets itself, which unfortunately makes it harder to track down. :blah: I'll need to do some research.

Some thoughts offhand:

(1) Please post your computer's tech specs: operating system including version, CPU, video card, amount of RAM

(2) Try to find the earliest nightly build where this issue occurs. Binary search might work best here: between 3.7.0 and the earliest nightly build you know of that has this issue, try the nightly build in the middle. If it has the issue, then pick the middle build between 3.7.0 and that one and try it again. If it doesn't have the issue, then pick the middle build between that one and the earliest one you know of that has the issue, then try it again. Keep doing this and you should find the earliest build with this issue. It's like looking up a name in a phone book.

If the issue occurs in all nightly builds since 3.7.0, then try a nightly build from before 3.7.0 or a 3.7.0 release candidate like RC2.

(3) Finally, for any FS2 Open build that has this issue: Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post. Maybe also post a log from 3.7.0 so we have something to compare it to.

(4) A debug log from wxLauncher itself might be helpful. For Windows and OS X, you can get a debug build from the first post of the release thread. For Linux, you'll need to build one, see the instructions in the first post of the release thread. The post also says where to find the log.

Thanks for the advice! However after several hours of frustration, I managed to narrow the culprit down to my antivirus (Avast). It was blocking every single one of the Freespace Open builds except for the 3.7.0 final, thus causing the application to fail to start. Temporarily turning off Avast made everything work normally, so I might have to manually permit every build that is not final through Avast. I have heard about Avast causing many issues especially games, but I never got around to changing it.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Glad to hear it's fixed.