Author Topic: Unable to launch FSO  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Costly

Unable to launch FSO
Hi

Few days ago urge to play FS came to me, after a long break. Few years ago I used (as far as I remember - without problems) FSO on same PC I use now, although some drivers may differ of course. However now when I try to run FSO it breaks down immediately after launch, with just windows error window 'bout "application shut down because of critical error".

I use windows XP, with Radeon X800pro graphic card running on Catalyst drivers (up to date). I tried to dig something on my own from log file and it looks like game crash on my OpenGL drivers. At least thats what I thought, but any change to my OpenGL drivers didn't brought any results, so I'm coming now to the Hard Light Elders, asking for help.

Log file below.

Many thanks for help.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 03:14:23 am by Costly »

Re: Unable to launch FSO
Hmm, the log says there's an issue with openAL. Have you installed OpenAL or OpenAL Soft?

That being said, I'm not seeing any mediavps file in the log, and the mod.ini seems to point to the old mediavps instead of mediavps_3612 anyway. Do you have the mediavps, mediavps_3612 or mediavps_2014 installed somewhere?
Also, what launcher are you using?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Can you try starting the game in fullscreen or borderless window mode? Which Catalyst version exactly are you using?

Also, you may need to install OpenAL Soft, since the game is seemingly unable to initialize sound.

Finally, I just have to ask, what are the chances of you getting an updated GPU? The X800 is positively ancient, and that age (and the age of the drivers for it) may be causing issues.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Costly

Ok, for a start, I was thinking only 'bout OpenGL, and so just now I installed OpenAL. According to log - it went through this part this time. Thats the good part, the bad one is fact, that outside of log there are no changes.

'Bout mediavps: yes, I got mediavps_3612, just simply while I was tring to launch a game on various settings, at some point I disabled all features. I'll put it all back on, maybe some kind of new clue will show up in log.

There are no changes in borderless or fullscreen mode.

As for Launcher - it's version 3.7. My Catalyst is 10.2. AMD webpage sets this Catalyst as a corresponding one with my graphic card, but if this version is likely to be a source of problem, then I can try to work at it.

To be honest, I'm not any more into games and stuff so I have no need to update my GPU. All things I play are the old games, which I feel like tring again. However, while looking throught your page now I see, thats FSO is still evolving till this day, so it's quite possible that even if my PC didn't have problems with it in past, it won't be same this time.

Well, here is log with fixed OpenAL problem and with features set to "on". Maybe it will give some new clue. If not, then I'll try other Catalyst and struggle some more with OpenGL drivers, maybe it'll give some results.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, the last thing I can think of would be to ask you to try one of the builds from this thread: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=86206.0

These include a different way of setting up the OpenGL context FSO needs, and thus may work where the regular builds don't. The only other thing I can think of is to wipe and then reinstall your drivers.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns