Author Topic: ROLL CALL: Voiceacting Derelict  (Read 33201 times)

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
ROLL CALL: Voiceacting Derelict
Okay, here we go.

I've gone for compressing all the bit parts into as few groups as possible; specifically, six. Add to that three pilots, Tau Sigma Station, GTVA Command, Lt. Tom Faulkner and, if possible, a Vasudan translator voice, and that's twelve or perhaps thirteen in total.

So here they are:

Part 1 (MatthewPapa)
Part 2 (Stunaep)
Part 3 (Nix)
Part 4 (Darkblade)
Part 5 (Charismatic)
Alpha 2 (Ransom)
Alpha 3 (Cobra)
Alpha 4 (spaceman spiff)
Tau Sigma Station (Mongoose)
GTVA Command (redberg)
Lt. Faulkner

Vasudans (Corhellion)

Here are the rules:

Choose a part, voice it. If you choose one of the bit parts, you'll be voicing several individual roles. If you can, you may vary your voice for each role - however, if you can't or don't want to or it doesn't sound good, it's more than acceptable just to use one voice for them all.

Separate paragraphs mean separate voice files. People who voice roles that have briefings and debriefings (that's TSS, Command, Lt. Faulkner and the Vasudans) may encounter sections where there's three spaces.

Code: [Select]
This is an important mission, Alpha 1. Don't mess up.   Good luck, pilots.

...like so. This is to indicate a paragraph break in the briefing (a dramatic pause, or whatever) because I couldn't actually include a break without turning it into two voice files.

The Vasudan role is reserved for the very last volunteer, much like the loser in Musical Chairs. I'd prefer it if nobody chose to pick that role until all the other roles have been selected by other actors; that's because if the worst comes to the worst, I can fake it with my patented STL-Vasudanspeak filler noise. I can't really do that for Alpha 2 or whoever.

VA Protocol: Ideally, 41k Mono format for voice files. However, it's not a problem if you don't know how or forget or whatever; I can fix it. Also, if, like me, you own a cheap microphone that's quite fussy and breaks up recorded voices, try speaking around the microphone instead of into it as one would normally. I had that problem with STL, but speaking slightly off to one side of the mike resulted in a clear voice, even if I had to crank up the volume considerably for it to be audible.

Part 3 is the one with the Cypher in it, if you're wondering. And MatthewPapa? I'll stick you down for Part 1 - the one with the LoneWolf. ;)

I'll be doing Part 6, the one that's not up there.

Alphas 5 and 6 are not recurring characters; if it's a different mission, it's a different character.

Do mention any errors that you find, that'd be very helpful.

Oh... and one final thing:

Thanks. :) You guys are the best community, like, ever. Seriously.

Alright, let's get this campaign voiceacted.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 12:58:07 pm by 1432 »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I don't think I'm really any good, but if you need some bit parts, I'd be willing to give it a shot.  :)

Originally posted by Mongoose
I don't think I'm really any good, but if you need some bit parts, I'd be willing to give it a shot.  :)

Same here, sign me up for whatever.

*thinks about it some more*

Preferrably duty aboard the lonewolf.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hmm...

I might be interested. :)

I'd love to be involved.  I'm Australian, though, so good thing there's subtitles! :D

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
id love to help out
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
so are we picking or are you assigning?
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

YaY, I got the lonewolf part!

*gets to work*

Offline Japong

• http://www.underthreat.tk
I'd like to try as Lt.Faulkner, although if you give me a little bit I'll toss up some samples first so you can judge if my voice is appropriate or not for the part.
www.underthreat.tk
Yeah, it's my comic.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I can't access any of the text files, and since I haven't played Derelict in an eternity, I have no idea which character is which. :p I should really replay it to have some idea of who's who.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I'd like to have a go at Alpha 2.

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
Wow..  this is cool, I think I might post some samples when I get home.  How would I send a sample, thru email or pm or ?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Shouldn't people audition before claiming parts?

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
It would seem like a good idea to audition, perhaps say a few lines from a few parts you'd be interested in.
If I had a choice I would like to do the GTNN part, I guess that's part 3? I always thought that in-mission news report was cool but I couldnt finish reading it before it dissappeared.  
I would like to volunteer, but I would want to know if I sounded good enough.  I do speak clearly, born and raised in the USA, so I dont have any sort of accent or anything, not even a hick accent.  :D

Offline Cyker

Blaise, do you want the original voice files?
If you're trying to recapture the original 'feel' of Derelict with voice (ESPESCIALLY Alpha 2 :D :lol:), it might give your actors something to aspire to ;)

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
I'd like to try as Lt.Faulkner, although if you give me a little bit I'll toss up some samples first so you can judge if my voice is appropriate or not for the part.

Okay, that'd be great.

Wow.. this is cool, I think I might post some samples when I get home. How would I send a sample, thru email or pm or ?

Whatever works best for you. Email is blaise_russel at hotmail.com

Shouldn't people audition before claiming parts?

Perhaps a good idea, although to be honest I wasn't expecting this level of feedback, so I was gonna drop it in favour of just getting it all done. I'll probably want an audition for the biggest parts, just so I know that the microphone loves their voice.

I'd like to have a go at Alpha 2.

This 'un I'd like to have a sample for, please. :)

I can't access any of the text files, and since I haven't played Derelict in an eternity, I have no idea which character is which.  I should really replay it to have some idea of who's who.

Hmm. Point.

Alpha 2 is the sarcastic-yet-bright member of the fighter wing, often found trading quips and talking back to figures of authority. Pretty much the biggest/most memorable part.

Alpha 3's a slightly newer, less certain pilot, but he's not afraid of telling Alpha 2 to shut up and stop whining about duct tape.

Alpha 4's quite experienced and he's got a degree of professionalism the other two don't. He's also not afraid of telling Macky to be quiet.

Lt. Tom Faulkner is Snipes, but for Derelict. He's been working undercover for mercenaries in Altair.

Part 3 includes the GTFf Cypher, which plays a major part in Derelict's endgame. Insubordinate at times, the Cypher's got a spark of intelligence much like Alpha 2's.

That's all I got time for right now... if anyone needs direction as to what the lines are supposed to actually mean, post or PM me.

I'll take a bitpart package: I'm looking at 3,4 and 5 now.  Should they be bland or should we ham it up?  The original voiceacting was really only average.

Offline fizz

• Crimson Fields
Not sure whether it should be posted here or in the Derelict thread, but I thought I'd mention that there are still spelling errors left. The ones I noticed so far:

All from part 2:

• Meridian mrd, D06, 3: "civillian" (twice)

• Meridian mrd, D020, 1: "it's" should be "its"

• Giordano grd, D33, 3 and 4: both missing a comma before "pilots".

I'm assuming the scripts have been autogenerated from the mission files.