Author Topic: Identity of the OP girl who says "Spoon"  (Read 8493 times)

Identity of the OP girl who says "Spoon"
This is really sad, I don't know who she is!  In my (quickly checks server) 7.2 TERABYTES of anime watching I don't think I've ever seen her before.  Would anyone be so kind as to enlighten me as to who she is and what series she is from?  Thank you!

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Re: Identity of the OP girl who says "Spoon"
Shana from Shakugan no Shana, early episodes. And this.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
The way she says spoon is horrid.
Spoounnhun. Spoounnhun. Spoounnhun. Spoounnhun. Spoounnhun. Spoounnhun. :wtf:

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
You just can't appreciate it :P

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Supun
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline LHN91

Similarly, I believe the song played on the main hall is the off-vocal long mix of the second season OP of Shakugan no Shana. If memory serves.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 10:46:51 pm by LHN91 »

Supun

スプン

The way she says spoon is horrid.
Spoounnhun. Spoounnhun. Spoounnhun. Spoounnhun. Spoounnhun. Spoounnhun. :wtf:

Blame Japanese phonology. There are no diphthongs in Japanese, so if they see two vowels together, they assume that the vowel is to be pronounced twice.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Just don't think of it as english...

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
... if they see two vowels together, they assume that the vowel is to be pronounced twice.
This I did not know, I figured it was a problem with words ending in a consonants, considering most of their language is dominated by vowel usage.
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline -Norbert-

Just listen to some of the opening and closing songs of anime (or the insert songs too) and you'll come across numerous of those double letters, were both are pronounced.
For example in this song (Prototype from Gundam 00) at 1:32 "Kanashii kurai...." the i is ponounced twice (don't ask me what it means though, I only know in general terms from translations, not word by word).
And there are many more were I heard such double pronounciations, I just though of this one first, because it's one of my favourite songs and I can even sing along a few pieces, despite not speaking japanese.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?

Oh god...is this discussion really going on....****ing seriously?

Don't use a freaking song to back up pronounciation of syllables, as people routinely stretch/shrink syllables to fit the beat (if necessary).
Also, "n" is one of the few consonants that you can actually end on in Japanese. That's a romanization, and "i" a short I sound is a separate character...so yes of course it is pronounced.

And uh...I don't think the script would have un-katakana-ized english on it so they could see the diphthong, it should have been transliterated to スプン, which doesn't have a double o/u sound at all... (though it does have two u-sounds, they're seperated by ze p. If you hear it you're hearing it wrong (or kugyu pronounced it weird, which might be a possibility).

Similarly, I believe the song played on the main hall is the off-vocal long mix of the second season OP of Shakugan no Shana. If memory serves.

...there is no Joint nor Blaze there...
(ok there might be Blaze I don't listen to that one enough to instantly recognize from the off-vocal version.)

You may be thinking of the first OP of Toaru Majutsu no Index (by the same person who sings Joint) "PSI Missing" which is like the third (?) mainhall theme?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 04:55:42 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

And uh...I don't think the script would have un-katakana-ized english on it so they could see the diphthong, it should have been transliterated to スプン, which doesn't have a double o/u sound at all... (though it does have two u-sounds, they're seperated by ze p. If you hear it you're hearing it wrong (or kugyu pronounced it weird, which might be a possibility).

While I agree, the Japanese do strange things with English words. Sometimes they're written in katakana, and sometimes not. It very well might have been written "SPOON" on the script, in which case, she might have mistakenly doubled the vowel sound out of habit. Or, someone transliterated it スプーン on the script...

Listening to the audio clip, there is a very slight pause in the middle of the "oo", which may mean a mistakenly-doubled consonant, and it may not. I don't know...
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
This is my take: Japanese language is usually pronounced quickly.

It's 'supun' in romaji, but pronounced 's' (not the letter S, but the hissing sound) 'pu', then 'un.'

Another example -
エクセレン • ブロウニング - Excellen Browning. They don't pronounce 'Ekuseren Buraoningu' unless they are purposely saying every single syllable. So, it's Ekseren Braoningu or alternatively, Excellen Browning.

Offline LHN91

You may be thinking of the first OP of Toaru Majutsu no Index (by the same person who sings Joint) "PSI Missing" which is like the third (?) mainhall theme?

Yes you're right, I went back and checked. I watched both series at about the same time so the themes kinda meshed. Also, for some oddbal reason I always get that track on the mainhall almost without fail. I guess my computer fails at random selection. Thus why I thought it was the only mainhall theme.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
It depends what mission you're on (or at least, it should).
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline -Norbert-

Don't use a freaking song to back up pronounciation of syllables, as people routinely stretch/shrink syllables to fit the beat (if necessary).
I heard it not only in songs, but also in the regular speaking. But it's far easier to find a song on youtube than a particular scene were it happens in normal speech (not to mention remembering the place were it happened)...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

If you'll excuse the thread-necro, I think I've worked out why Shana says it that way.  There is some detail to the explanation...

1) The Japanese word for "spoon" - or at least the one typically used - actually *is* "supuun"; it is a loanword, explained by the fact that Japanese cuisine does not traditionally use spoons, even for soup (which was drunk straight from the bowl, like tea).  Modern Japanese uses a lot of loanwords, both from English and from other languages.

Because it is a loanword, it is written using katakana, as スプーン (su-pu-longvowel-n).  This is actually the closest way to represent the English word using Japanese syllables (of which there are ~50, versus the ~2000 in English).  The first 'u' is almost silent, which is their workaround for the frequent need to put two consonants together in foreign words.  The double 'u' is the normal way of lengthening a vowel sound in Japanese.  So it is pronounced like "s'puu-n", effectively as a three-syllable word (for a fairly loose definition of 'syllable'), even though it is written using four characters (and the original English word is only one).

2) The idiosyncratic way Shana says it is largely explained by the *context* in which she says it.  The main point is: she's very annoyed.  Observe:

http://youtu.be/-OK8EusRmG0?t=1m50s  (near the end of Episode 1-03)

In the larger context of the preceding episodes, it becomes clear that she *often* gets annoyed at Yuuji (the boy in that scene).  She doesn't sympathise with his position - which to him is a matter of life and death, so he's very persistent about it.