Author Topic: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!  (Read 221528 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this fir
No you don't need the 3.6.10 files.  3.6.10 will not let you see FS2netD at all right now.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!
Anyone playing?  I can't see any servers either.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this fir
Use the 3.6.9 build.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I am.

EDIT: Figured it out... apparently it's not possible to run multiplayer over a wireless card. :wtf:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 05:48:48 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
You mean a wireless network or something like 1X or EVDO?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!
Wireless network.  At least mine.  Maybe there's a setting you can change to allow it; I didn't look too closely.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
My mom's laptop works fine.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It should work. You may need to mess around with port settings somewhere though. Although wireless networks in general have a fairly high latency and are not ideal for gaming.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
It should work. You may need to mess around with port settings somewhere though. Although wireless networks in general have a fairly high latency and are not ideal for gaming.

They also tend to be prone to network burps, and periodically lose connection for less than a second.  While it wouldn't normally be noticeable, it tends to kill file transfers and I would suspect multiplayer gaming.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
@FUBAR-BDHR: 3.6.10 working fine with FS2NetD, it's just that it requires the new server to work and so everyone playing needs to use a 3.6.10 build in order for everybody to play.  The only times that it doesn't work is when no one bothers to tell me that the FS2NetD server stopped responding (crash, hang, etc.) and it goes unnoticed by me until I happen to check on it at some random point.

@Goober5000:  You were definitely logged on to the 3.6.10 server, since you somehow managed to trigger a code bug that created an endless loop issue.  ;)  I think that I managed to fix the bug now, so I guess it was a good thing that it messed up on you.  But it did make the server non-responsive, so give it another try since it really shouldn't matter whether you are running on a wireless card or not (unless it's a firewall issue).

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Kthx. :) I'll give it a try next multiplayer session.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
@FUBAR-BDHR: 3.6.10 working fine with FS2NetD, it's just that it requires the new server to work and so everyone playing needs to use a 3.6.10 build in order for everybody to play.  The only times that it doesn't work is when no one bothers to tell me that the FS2NetD server stopped responding (crash, hang, etc.) and it goes unnoticed by me until I happen to check on it at some random point.

Could have sworn you told me the 3.6.10 build servers would not show up on FS2netD or was that just for the standalone test build you sent me eons ago?
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Could have sworn you told me the 3.6.10 build servers would not show up on FS2netD or was that just for the standalone test build you sent me eons ago?
In early test builds there was a situation there, unless you are simply referring to the website.  The website can only list games from one daemon, but for normal builds there are two (one for 3.6.9 and one for 3.6.10).  Until 3.6.10 actually gets released (or usage of 3.6.9 multiplayer drops off, whichever comes first) I'm just leaving the website monitoring the 3.6.9 daemon.  That means active games from 3.6.10 don't show up on the website.  But, 3.6.10 also has the lobby, so you can just get in there and chat if you want while waiting to start up a game  (assuming there aren't any more bugs in that part of the code anyway).

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Great I'll have to toss up a standalone or 2 tomorrow and see what happens.  Any particular build I should be using?

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Great I'll have to toss up a standalone or 2 tomorrow and see what happens.  Any particular build I should be using?
Just which ever one works best for you.  There will be a new Xt build this week which does address some bugs in the multiplayer code, but I can't say exactly what day that will get released.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Just which ever one works best for you.  There will be a new Xt build this week which does address some bugs in the multiplayer code, but I can't say exactly what day that will get released.

Can you remind us in the recent builds forum so we can grab it? =)
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
OK there should be a standalone out there running the 10-28t build.  I'd like to know if anyone can see it.  It's on a computer I've never tested FS2 over the internet on.  Hoping I have it configured right. 

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
OK there should be a standalone out there running the 10-28t build.  I'd like to know if anyone can see it.  It's on a computer I've never tested FS2 over the internet on.  Hoping I have it configured right. 
Sorry, the daemon crashed almost right away.  :(

I restarted it with a new binary, in a debug session, to please try it again.  If it messes up this time then I'll be able to figure out where the bug is and fix it.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
OK I restarted it.