Author Topic: How to change the refresh rate?  (Read 8140 times)

Offline Shardik

How to change the refresh rate?
Hello there.
I hope this thread doesn't already exist, I just browsed through 2-3 pages and read the stickies.

How do I change the refresh rate in FS2/Open?

My old monitor has problems with 60hz so I want to run the game in 75hz.

I did set a default refresh rate for fullscreen applications with the DxDiag override, but FS seems to ignore that.

I don't think my comp specs matter, anyways, it's WinXP SP3. I found the registry entry for the resolution, but that's about all I was able to do. I hope this is easy to resolve.

Thanks in advance

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: How to change the refresh rate?
FS2_Open uses OpenGL not DirectX so DxDiag is probably useless.  Does your video card have an option for setting the refresh rate?  Best bet update your drivers and see if there is a software control center for the video card.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If you run it in windowed mode, it should use the Desktop refresh rate.
In fullscreen, however.....Well, the code makes reference to an "OGL_RefreshRate" registry entry, but I do not know whether or not that is actually used.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I have an ATI card, and the "3D Refresh Rate Override" option in the Catalyst Control Center does just fine at keeping FS2 above 60 Hz.  I'd imagine that Nvidia's drivers have something similar.

Offline Shardik

Heyhey.
I didn't get to try these suggestions, but thanks a lot so far.
The DxDiag override should work, at least it does for my other OpenGL games since it just sets the fullscreen refresh rate, not depending on the fullscreen renderer. That's why I'll go with that registry entry first, I guess Freespace got its own set refresh rate.
I can't find the refresh rate setting in my video card drivers (8600 gts), I'm sure it was there in the past though. There's lots of application based settings, but no refresh rate.
Anyways, I'll play around with that registry entry later and tell you if it works.

edit: later, haha. The registry entry works like a charm, although I had to create it. Quite funny though, I did a little mistake and nothing worked, so I did a little searching and found an older thread here in the forum. Anyways, OGL_RefreshRate has to be created as a DWORD-value and my Freespace now perfectly runs in 75hz.
So, thanks The E, problem solved.
Thanks to Mongoose and FUBAR-BDHR as well of course, you did remind me of the option with the drivers, I should start looking where it went.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 05:30:40 am by Shardik »

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Step 1: Disable Vertical Synchronization on Launcher (found on "Game Speed" list on Features tab)

Step 2: Set the desired refresh rate on display settings/GPU driver panel

Step 3. Enable VSync on the GPU driver control panel.

As far as I know, having the vsync enabled on the Launcher will peak the frame rates to 60 FPS even if the actual screen refresh rate is higher. I consider this a bug actually, but I don't know if anyone has filed a Mantis report about it - regardless, it's easily circumvented by remocing the -vsync command line flag and enabling it in the graphics driver instead.

This should force vertical synchronization to the actual refresh rate of the display. :)
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Shardik

Since changing the refresh rate via registry worked, I'm not sure if I had a bug-problem.
Anyways, I'll just provide a little information, maybe it'll help finding out if it is a bug. So, V-Sync is not disabled in the launcher and also forced on via my drivers. That's not much information, but I guess one setting overrides the other, so perhaps it can help just a little.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
You could try and enable the FPS counter on the Dev Tools list of features.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Shardik

Just did that, it runs at 75+-1 fps, so pretty much exactly my refresh rate.

Offline Jouzin

• Big FS fan...
    • Webpage
OK now my turn..

I have my good old 17' CRT monitor. And I have one problem. I have nvidia 8600GTS and latest video drivers.

SO in launcher settings I picked my desktop screen resolution  setting which is 1152x864.  (my refresh rate is 85hz)
But I see that while I am playing FS2 it is still in screen resolution 1024x768 and refresh rate is 60Hz.  SO now question. Is there any way to change this to 85Hz ? And do you know why the game change screen resolution to 1024x768 ?

Thank you

Jouzin

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Have you checked this?

Offline Jouzin

• Big FS fan...
    • Webpage
Will try, thank you

EDIT: OK I have tried it no change hmm Still 60Hz
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 05:36:03 am by Jouzin »

Tried everything posted here. The only thing that changes ref rate is RefrashForce.
BUT when I change rate with it appears sort of bug in game - lag of changing view direction, I mean when aiming target cross-hair may hold for a second and then go ahead. It's really impossible to play that way, so I change all back.
It's pretty annoying playing at 60Hz when your monitor can give 100.

Nothing like that in B4 :confused:

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I have an ATI card, and the "3D Refresh Rate Override" option in the Catalyst Control Center does just fine at keeping FS2 above 60 Hz.  I'd imagine that Nvidia's drivers have something similar.

Sadly, they don't. You can either Use Application V-Sync, Force On or Force Off. And if you Force Off, you still need the above mentioned registry value, which DOES work when used with the "Disable Vertical Sync" launcher flag.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Sadly, they don't. You can either Use Application V-Sync, Force On or Force Off. And if you Force Off, you still need the above mentioned registry value, which DOES work when used with the "Disable Vertical Sync" launcher flag.
Sadly, it don't.

EDIT: running on GF FX5900XT in WinXP

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Well, sadly for you it isn't, much to my glee, it does. So, interesting conundrum we have here.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Found out intresting fact. I've installed an ancient forceware driver (61.76) and :) It's got refresh rate overrider  ;7 Works just fine :nod:

It's in russian, since I'm russian ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 12:21:00 am by Niroborn »

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
With an FX5900XT, you're probably better off using an older driver than the later ones anyway.

With an FX5900XT, you're probably better off using an older driver than the later ones anyway.
That's the same thing I thought.
Anyway that graphic living it's last days. Soon I'm gonna upgrade, though I'm pretty satisfied with it. I'm not a gaming maniac, you know.