Author Topic: FreeSpace Tactics Kickstarter  (Read 12447 times)

Re: FreeSpace Tactics Kickstarter
I would love to see a way to put capships in the game, even if it was just the miniatures attacking carboard cutouts.
By the way, may I suggest Battlefleet Gothic as a base for capship battles?
Or A Call to Arms?
I'll be pledging some money after Christmas is over.

Even the cardboard cutouts would be rather large and expensive. I've got some ideas for capital ships to try and bring them in without breaking the bank.

Battlefleet Gothic and Call to Arms (the B5 version) are both great games. I also like Starmada.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I have like zero interest in board games in general, but I'm definitely willing to throw some money your way.  Hell, the crazier part of me wants to get the thing just to have those miniatures flying around on my desk. :D

Offline CKid

wants to get the thing just to have those miniatures flying around on my desk. :D

I didn't even think I about that. Must get the wallet out.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I so want to get this and am so excited, but at the same time I have this looming realization that nobody will ever actually play this with me, since
>actual friends
>shared interests
 :(
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I have like zero interest in board games in general, but I'm definitely willing to throw some money your way.  Hell, the crazier part of me wants to get the thing just to have those miniatures flying around on my desk. :D
QFT
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Here's an idea to consider - because FS capships are so large, you might consider a mat-type vessel which you can have turret and subsystem tokens on? You'd besically unroll a vynil ship mat from a tube and lay it across the table. If you fly across a ship when attacking it (fighters and bombers can fly across the ship mat), you'd have to roll to check for collisions (kind of like WH40K when ending your vehicle move over a forest). The capship doesn't move, but this doesn't really hurt an FS boardgame at all as big ships tend to be more story pieces than anything else.

...If you want capship miniatures, the smart thing to do would be to keep the fighter miniatures and adopt a new ruleset which turns the fighter pieces into squadrons. Then you could have scale ships which can maneuver across the table, etc. Same game pieces, new cards, and you let the players play the games/story the way they want to.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
I so want to get this and am so excited, but at the same time I have this looming realization that nobody will ever actually play this with me, since
>actual friends
>shared interests
 :(
Reminds me of when I bought the BSG board-game. :P :(

I am looking at this with cautionary optimism; I wish I had money to give right now, but my Euphrates is drying up. :sigh:

PS: Shields before The Great War? I smell Shivan Incursion - Hammer of Light expansions.

Offline Luis Dias

I really hope they don't get enough feedback to make FreeSpace 3. No disrespect, but I don't think Interplay as it is could ever touch that material and live up to the quality that FS2 gave us.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I really hope they don't get enough feedback to make FreeSpace 3. No disrespect, but I don't think Interplay as it is could ever touch that material and live up to the quality that FS2 gave us.

Firstly interplay publish not dev so it would be a dev house that does the hands on, while interplay can certainly direct and influence, if they have a collective braincell it would be left to the dev house to make the real decisions.

Secondly, any FS3 would get bad press regardless of anything else there is too much community feeling about it.  A prequel would work, something in the realms of the formation of the GTA would be Ideal as it is not touched on beyond glancing hints and so would have little impact on the exsisting canon.  Best bet though would be a new IP using FS style gameplay.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Luis Dias

They are specifically talking about FreeSpace IP. Probably trying to surf the new "spacesim" age of nowadays.

And yeah, I get they would "hire" a dev team to do this and they would merely publish it. But can you actually see a good dev house working for Interplay for a game they know they can't live up to, and where the market is still a question mark?

I only see horrors in that prospect.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Secondly, any FS3 would get bad press regardless of anything else there is too much community feeling about it.  A prequel would work, something in the realms of the formation of the GTA would be Ideal as it is not touched on beyond glancing hints and so would have little impact on the exsisting canon.  Best bet though would be a new IP using FS style gameplay.

A new game using FS-style gameplay wouldn't need a FS-themed boardgame Kickstarter to "gauge interest". There's already enough evidence that there is a market for such a thing, if you wanted to make a new game in the genre, it is easy to argue that a quality game made on a non-AAA budget can turn a profit.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
yer I can see your point there The E

Still I could get behind a unification war/early T-V war or reconstruction era campaign
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I don't play board games, but I would fund this for $20. Why does it jump from $5 to $45?

EDIT: Also, FS3 wouldn't work using today's game design strategies at most large companies. It would need to have modding support, and many big companies don't seem to support that anymore. So the people running the show would have to not be afraid to try something different.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I'll be dropping some money by after Xmas. Like many people here, I haven't really played board games since the FASA Star Trek system, but am glad to encourage interest in the Freespace franchise.

As for the 'forbidden number 3', I think the thing is, it's like wishing for another symphony from Mozart or for Elvis to write one more song. No matter how good that product is, it will never live up to what was anticipated because we've enshrined it in our minds.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
As for the 'forbidden number 3', I think the thing is, it's like wishing for another symphony from Mozart or for Elvis to write one more song. No matter how good that product is, it will never live up to what was anticipated because we've enshrined it in our minds.

...or like wishing for Star Wars VII? :nervous: :p

What do people think about donating a largish sum from HLP's PayPal fund? We've got ~$1,300 in there.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Some details on io9.

I'd be firmly opposed to HLP donating to this, particularly so early on in the piece. The members who want to will donate, but $1300 isn't going to make a significant difference to their $75000 target, but it would make a big difference to us. Maybe, just maybe, if they had $74500 and sixty second to go, but short of that, I think we can find better uses for that cash.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Seconded
I'd rather see that 1300 go to something useable to the SCP. Kinda like that APNG kickstarter. (Though we have yet to see any results from that)
Or use it if a mod needs some funds for something (like BP voice acting?). Or hell, server costs.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Luis Dias

...or like wishing for Star Wars VII? :nervous: :p

If it was done by some half broke company trying to sell it to any writer they could barely find and produce it in really small budget, yeah, I'd totally be against it.

Offline Rheyah

• Will release something one day. Promise.
The only regret I'd have about Freespace 3 is I'd have to rewrite Shetland.

Seriously.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I'm looking forward to the boardgame just for the miniatures, but I would love a FreeSpace 3 to be developed. I think passion and ingenuity is more important than the funding level of its producer, given that the developers won't profit if their product is crap to begin with. Not for space combat sims anyway.