Author Topic: OLD FreeSpace Open Installer  (Read 762598 times)

Offline spzattk

Re: FreeSpace Open Installer! Download it now!
It works great, thank you.
Will this work with freespace 1 as well?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 05:41:41 pm by spzattk »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
It works great, thank you.
Will this work with freespace 1 as well?

FreeSpace Port is included.

Simply open the Launcher, select fsport on the mod tab, then select the campaign in-game.

EDIT:
jr2 : I tried adding .7z support, but that stuff is horribly complicated.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That doesn't change the fact that he'd have to bundle it with the installer, and while it won't be so noticeable on the exe version, it would be on the jar version, since he'd have to bundle one compatible with windows, mac, and linux.  There goes the benefit of getting the previously tiny jar version.  And while it's open source, it's not written in java, nor is support for 7zip in the java virtual machine.  So there's no way to incorporate it easily.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
That doesn't change the fact that he'd have to bundle it with the installer, and while it won't be so noticeable on the exe version, it would be on the jar version, since he'd have to bundle one compatible with windows, mac, and linux.  There goes the benefit of getting the previously tiny jar version.  And while it's open source, it's not written in java, nor is support for 7zip in the java virtual machine.  So there's no way to incorporate it easily.

Actually, someone's writing a thing called J7Zip, but it's not nearly complete enough to use correctly.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Guess it's a waiting game, then... *twiddles thumbs*  Is that guy (J7Zip) done yet?  He has one month.  If Turey can do it, so can he.  And the J7Zip better not be above 10K, either.  :lol:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
The link is in Turey's siggy... and mine...
Anyways,
@Turey: I know you said the Installer now supports resuming.. does it support resuming to the point where you can use dial-up to download for a few hours, (maybe if you get lucky and aren't disconnected, overnight) then shut it off in the morning, and continue this for a few weeks, until its finished?
I'm asking, because weathers would have a problem getting it.

Offline spzattk

Two questions:
How do I play online? Do I have to install anything else or did it come with the install.

Do I have to do anything when using FRED2? When I'm making a mission in it it's using the graphics without the SCP, but when I play it will it automatically convert to the SCP?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I think you need to add -fredhtl -mod mediavps to the shortcut that you run fred from, in order to have it show the enhancements that you would see in game.  The -fredhtl adds support for the hi-poly models and the -mod tells it to get the data from the mediavps folder first, just like selecting that mod in the game launcher.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Two questions:
How do I play online? Do I have to install anything else or did it come with the install.

You don't need anything new but you do need to register on FS2NetD and you may need to configure what you already have. More details here.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
The link is in Turey's siggy... and mine...
Anyways,
@Turey: I know you said the Installer now supports resuming.. does it support resuming to the point where you can use dial-up to download for a few hours, (maybe if you get lucky and aren't disconnected, overnight) then shut it off in the morning, and continue this for a few weeks, until its finished?
I'm asking, because weathers would have a problem getting it.

It has to finish a section before it saves it. So you'd have to get all the way through the mediavps before it would remember that they were downloaded.

Part of the reason why the Installer is an Online Installer is that it allows those on dial-up to get the core files quickly, without having to wait for the mediavps or the movie files. If they want the larger files, they should be prepared for a long download. There's nothing I can do about that.

More details here.

The Installer does a lot of that process for you. All that needs to be done (besides downloading FSO with the Installer) is steps 1, 5 (only port 7808 needed), 6, and 7 from the page linked to.

Offline mnftg64

I just want to say that installers like this make re-installing FS2 a joy. I go through stages of playing this game and not playing it. I have gone through too many computers in the last couple of years as well. I usually dissapear from the community for months on end. When I come back, I am overwhelmed by now  knowing what I need to download to be able to play FS2_Open, the good way, plus all the mods and campaigns I want. These installers pretty much just rock. One step does it all.

Does this incude the FS2 Missions with the Lightspeed Nebuleas?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 03:15:48 pm by mnftg64 »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Does this incude the FS2 Missions with the Lightspeed Nebuleas?

Nope, but if you've got a place to host the files (perhaps www.mydatabus.com or your own server), you can add them here.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Wow.

You guys just added $75 to Hunter's monthly bill by over-using his bandwidth.

I must say, I'm impressed. I've shifted some of the retail files over to RazorsKiss, and I'm working on getting the rest of them to him. If that's not enough, I'll see what else I can get moved.

In the meantime, it would be a nice gesture if those of you with the cash to do so would give a little something to Hunter for hosting this.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Maybe post his paypal account?  Feel free to PM me the password too, for ease of transfer of the money to my account.

I feel vindicated. I told Hunter he would run out of bandwidth, but he was all like no way man. LOL

Take that Hunter, you stubborn bastehd!  :lol:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 07:19:17 pm by Huggybaby »

Offline RazorsKiss

• The Cutting Edge
    • RazorsKiss.net
Sending those files up now.

Just try not to run my bandwidth limits skyhigh too :D

You do realize, all of you, that he had 4.5 terabytes+ of bandwidth?  You folks are scary.
Fringespace - Tachyon: Revived   ModDB Listing   Razorskiss.net 

You only think you can outfly me.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude

You do realize, all of you, that he had 4.5 terabytes+ of bandwidth?  You folks are scary.

You've got ten days to prepare for a bandwidth jump. To help Hunter out, the Installer will be down until April 1st. Sorry.

If you'd like to help Hunter with his bills, you can do so here.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

So what's your speed limit, mister?  :drevil:
*hears FS fans gunning their engines as they wait in line to d'l*

EDIT: Hmm, how much would it cost to upgrade Hunter's account to the next level?
How about RazorsKiss' account?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 01:58:11 am by jr2 »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I feel vindicated. I told Hunter he would run out of bandwidth, but he was all like no way man. LOL

Take that Hunter, you stubborn bastehd!  :lol:

I said pretty much the same thing. People forget that we only see the tip of the iceberg on the forums. We only see the people who register to say thank you or who have a problem and can't find the answer except by posting. We don't see the people who download the game and enjoy it but don't feel like registering.

I'm definitely not suggesting you have a registration system to download using the installer but I'll bet you if it did, we'd all be surprised at the number of people who signed up.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I've been through this before. Barring a benefactor with unlimited bandwidth, torrents are the solution. hip63 and ShivanSPS have not run out of bandwidth nor will they.

Torrents can be slow, but no slower than the installer when it's under heavy load, and they're much faster than the installer is now.  :p

In the meantime, there are many many direct downloads still available---mine, most of Shivan's, and hip63's come to mind.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 09:08:15 pm by Huggybaby »