Author Topic: MechWarrior Online  (Read 269985 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'd say much closer to 1.5 than 1.7.  Not enough different kinds of PPCs.  Not enough plasma.  Never enough plasma.

I have the feeling that, if it's ever realized, plasma rifles are going to be the single most broken piece of equipment in the game.

Streak SRMs beyond size 2, Ultra ACs that aren't 5s, and non-LB-10Xs  aren't Level 2 tech yet, it's 3050.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
I don't mean to go through redundant madness, but...

Streak Madness/SRM Madness is a legit design goal in MWO.

EDIT: I mean, hell. PPCs. Tell me the last time you saw somebody running with PPCs in MWO. It just isn't done. That's such a reversal from the tabletop it's hard to believe.

A. I'm not going to go into the Shortcat debacle anymore. Still, I treat Six by Six Cats as the greatest danger (unless I have a pair of Large Lasers).

B. I used to have a Centurion-AL with an ER PPC in its right arm, and it pretty much worked as a backstab or "don't pop over my ridge, *****" weapon (until I got the dough for a heavier and faster engine). I can't imagine PPCs working in practice anymore because 1: Gauss Cats are used more now, 2: I see a bunch of pilots who remotely think it's a good idea to stuff their entire load with PPCs and be halfwits at heat management* (as in, think it's a good idea to fire four at once) and probably 3: it depends, but the nature of urban combat. I would be still wondering if they're going to do with what Mech3 did with the PPCs (if you get shot by it, all your HUD elements get afflicted with static).

* (The only exception I've probably seen for this in the past week was River City Night Conquest when two hostile Cat K2s had dual or tri-ER PPCs, stole the high ground on the high edges of the west side, and sniped everyone until two fast movers gave them some grief. My side won in the end on the basis of resource gathering.)

With Clan SRMs being able to punch through at a half-kilometer rather than a quarter-kilo, I'm going to have a bit of my work cut out for me.
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
My current favorite loadout features a PPC as its 2nd primary.  I gave my DRG-1N 2xAC2, 2xSSRM2 and a PPC, with remaining tonnage devoted to ammo and DHS.  It's surprisingly effective; the PPC makes for a nice punch-in-the-face weapon, the AC2s chase uppity heavies back behind cover, and SSRM2s tell the lights to sod off.  What's even better, the heat doesn't build up too quickly, making management pretty easy.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I don't think plasma is level 2 tech until, like, Jihad era (also aren't plasma rifles pretty suboptimal)

You are correct that they're not around until Jihad era.  They're also probably the best weapons ever, and are decidedly not suboptimal.

For six tons (and at least one ton of non-explosive ammo.  The non-explosive bit is incredibly useful), you get a weapon that has identical range to the Large Laser, but deals 10 damage and 1d6 heat to anything that tracks heat, which really just means 'Mechs and ASFs.  Against 'Mechs, the 1d6 heat is just an annoyance, but against ASFs it's entirely capable of killing the unit all on its own due to the way the heat scale works for fighters, especially in atmosphere.  Against anything that doesn't track heat, the plasma rifle inflicts 10 damage plus an additional 2d6 damage, for an average of 17 damage per hit (divided into five point clusters).  They were also recently erratad to be much more effective against infantry, far and away better than every single other weapon in the game for killing infantry by killing 10 + 2d6 troopers per hit, which averages out to even higher than the flamer's 4d6 troopers per hit (by three).

I like to call it the Magical Murder Sticktm, because it kills literally everything.  Even battlearmor with fire-resistant armor (Clan tech only, but still) will take damage.  Only five, so it won't outright kill most of the bigger suits, but it's hardly useless even then.

From what's been posted about more than one PPC being a bad idea, I don't see ClanTech energy weapons doing any better than IS weapons with regards to heat.  I fully expect to run into Mad Gausscats with LRM's or SSRM-6 launchers with frightening regularity though.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Are they still planning to bring in the clans this summer or have they decided to wait?

I would be still wondering if they're going to do with what Mech3 did with the PPCs (if you get shot by it, all your HUD elements get afflicted with static).

One or another of the Q&As said that something along those lines was in the pipe. Though I suspect the pipe is clogged with stuff like community warfare and maps and netcode that aren't abysmal.
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

The world's fastest catapult cruising around the battlefield at 140 kph.

How? Have a friend get under you with a fast mech while you jump jet straight into the air and land on him. So hilariously funny and effective. :lol:

Seriously, it works. It's awesome having a lagshield as a heavy mech.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
The world's fastest catapult cruising around the battlefield at 140 kph.

How? Have a friend get under you with a fast mech while you jump jet straight into the air and land on him. So hilariously funny and effective. :lol:

Seriously, it works. It's awesome having a lagshield as a heavy mech.
i'm kind of missing the whole "land with an jumpjetted assault on top of a light, make light go splat" aspect...
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

i'm kind of missing the whole "land with an jumpjetted assault on top of a light, make light go splat" aspect...

That's what I thought. The person that helped me perform this said it had something to do with the lack of mech collisions or something. It definitely works.

That's what I thought. The person that helped me perform this said it had something to do with the lack of mech collisions or something. It definitely works.

Yup, saw it too. Apparently, you can run off buildings in frozen city or the bridges in river city and do it too. My new goal in life is to do it with an Atlas.  :D

*e*  :( :lol:
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

Yup, saw it too. Apparently, you can run off buildings in frozen city or the bridges in river city and do it too. My new goal in life is to do it with an Atlas.  :D

*e*  :( :lol:

do it on a commando and you shall wing 1 internet ( would have loved to see it on a Flea but they not in atm)
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
The person that helped me perform this said it had something to do with the lack of mech collisions or something. It definitely works.

Proper mech-on-mech or mech-against-walls collisions and Death From Above's aren't implemented yet. (The only physics-related damage I've seen is if you fall off a cliff, but how high it has to be I don't know because there's no altimeter in this game.)
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Put an Atlas on top a Commando, then jet at Catapult on top of the Atlas.  Attack the opposing team yelling Go Voltron Force!
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Currently running around in MWO with a 4x AC/2 Cataflak build.  Do I do much damage?  Nope.  Is it fun to annoy people from outside their ability to return fire?  Yep.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Proper mech-on-mech or mech-against-walls collisions and Death From Above's aren't implemented yet.

INCORRECT

'Mech collisions were implemented for about a month, but the problem was that it made heavies and assault artificially powerful. The confined nature of the maps allowed them to easily wipe out lights trying to circle-strafe or slash at them; not by damage, but by the simple expedient of knocking them over. Getting up, effectively frozen in place, they died very quickly.

So collisions were pulled.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Yes getting knocked on your ass and shot to pieces if you came in contact with a heavier class wasn't much fun.  Though I might have just changed the collision values required to knock over a mech rather than completely removed it.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken