Author Topic: New Eyecandy Thread  (Read 844423 times)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I'm suprised the turrets still stick straight up.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Because there are no targets around. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I mean how ships now usually have their large turrets at (Around) a '20 angle instead of '90.

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
I see a new ship class in the second screenshot at the bottom of the previous page.  Is that a shuttle?

There also seems to be a new ship class on the last screenshot at the bottom of the previous page.  It looks to me like a carrier or a transport.

I mean how ships now usually have their large turrets at (Around) a '20 angle instead of '90.
If you want to go the extra mile, you can use the animation code to change the orientation of the turrets.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Nothing strange about those turrets, really. They keep that position until targets are close enough for them to shoot.

Speaking of the models: the first one you mentioned is the EAT Corvus (shuttle-like) and the second is the EAFr Titus (large freighter).
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

You can use a turretangle-tbm to fix it.

Maybe they have some kind of subspace magic to prevent the atmosphere from evaporating into space in short order.

It can be done, just like it happened with Mars.

Well, the moon in and of itself is too small to retain an atmosphere, whereas Mars does naturally retain an atmosphere but loses oxygen to space. But hey, the terraformed Moon looks cool, so go for it. You don't have to go the hard-SF route.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
So is that a real mission of just a test?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
A test, which is connected to current progress on INFASA for a specific reason. In poor words, it wasn't a waste of time.

True, but I don't see why it should be done. It doesn't pose a problem and seems an EA feature, mantained to underline the technological differences between the EA and any other faction.

Well, the moon in and of itself is too small to retain an atmosphere, whereas Mars does naturally retain an atmosphere but loses oxygen to space. But hey, the terraformed Moon looks cool, so go for it. You don't have to go the hard-SF route.

That's where the date plays a vital role. If all necessary technologies were available in the early days of space colonization, there was no reason why Mars would have been terraformed before the Moon. The fact that terraforming of the Moon started in the 2350s (after INFASA's main campaign) means that an important discovery made it possible (otherwise, it would have been started in the 2150s or even earlier). All technological progresses in INF will be described, so you'll have a proper explanation for that and many other things. :nod:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Also is the Svalin (which I assume is called the Corvus in Inferno) going to get a model update? It looks ugly.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

True, but I don't see why it should be done. It doesn't pose a problem and seems an EA feature, mantained to underline the technological differences between the EA and any other faction.

Well if it's an EA feature to look like all your turrets have raging erections, okay. But it just makes it look like the ships really need to get off.

That's where the date plays a vital role. If all necessary technologies were available in the early days of space colonization, there was no reason why Mars would have been terraformed before the Moon. The fact that terraforming of the Moon started in the 2350s (after INFASA's main campaign) means that an important discovery made it possible (otherwise, it would have been started in the 2150s or even earlier). All technological progresses in INF will be described, so you'll have a proper explanation for that and many other things. :nod:

No, you're missing the point. There's a fundamental difference that makes Mars terraforming possible in a hard-SF setting but rules out the Moon.

The Moon can't retain an atmosphere. It's too small.

Mars can retain an atmosphere. It's big enough.

The Moon is ridiculously, absurdly more difficult to terraform.

I have no problem with it being terraformed, because it's a fantasy, you can do whatever you want. But there's a reason that Mars would be terraformed before the Moon: it can be terraformed without fantasy tech, and the Moon can't.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I approve of the rule of cool moon with fantasy tech
I disapprove of Battuta wanking about the subject  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The thing that bothers me more than the backgrounds are these outdated ships like the Svalin/Corvus and the erection turrets. IIRC these EA ships did at one point have initial turret angles.

Oh well. Still should be a blast to plaaaay...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I approve of the rule of cool moon with fantasy tech
I disapprove of Battuta wanking about the subject  :p

I'm not - I said more than once it's perfectly fine, I think it looks awesome.

I'm just pointing out why you gotta have some magitech to do it.

Though speaking of wanking those EA ships could use some attention.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
How much time does that kind of editing require? A couple of minutes? If it's necessary, it can and will be done. I don't see the problem. Also, nothing is definitive and some of the ships you see may be replaced by others in the future. The last roster change was proposed only a few days ago, if I remember well... no one said things will remain as they are so they'll probably change. (EDIT: corrected.)

And Battuta, you're actually forgetting that the EA designed and built the Icanus in the outer orbit of Mars, not even Earth. The EA has certain technologies which make such things possible, and I can ensure you that everything will be explained properly.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 02:55:48 pm by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
How much time does that kind of editing require? A couple of minutes? If it's necessary, it can and will be done. I don't see the problem. Also, nothing is definitive and some of the ships you see may be replaced by others in the future. The last roster change was proposed only a few days ago, if I remember well... no one said things will remain as they are, and there a very good chance they'll change.

Yeah I think it'd be a good change to throw in a turretangle tbm, though if the ship roster is still changing well...

And Battuta, you're actually forgetting that the EA designed and built the Icanus in the outer orbit of Mars, not even Earth. The EA has certain technologies which make such things possible, and I can ensure you that everything will be explained properly.[/color]

Like I've said three times now, I have no problem with the terraforming of the Moon, since I assume there's plenty of magitech available. I'm forgetting nothing. What are you worrying about?

You keep wanking about hard-sci-fi and realism, which gets annoying.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Bleh. Do you know what the alternative to "hard" sci-fi is?   It's fiction IN SPAAAACE.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You keep wanking about hard-sci-fi and realism, which gets annoying.

I'm sorry, explain this remark to me? How many times in this thread have I said 'this looks awesome'?

If you're annoyed by statements of fact you can go post on Yahoo Answers for a while. In the meantime this is the second time you've tried to derail a thread with this type of remark. If your baseless personal attacks continue I'll take it up with a mod.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That will be enough trolling. Take it to IRC or PMs. Let the rest of us watch the screenshots in peace.

EDIT: You saw nothing!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 03:57:55 pm by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Let the rest of us watch the screenshots in piece.

nooooo! I like being complete :(

BTW nice screens Mobius, me wants more  :yes:
el hombre vicio...