Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 211209 times)

Offline Grey Wolf

Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
Originally posted by Rictor
I can't help but feel that there is somethng important that I'm missing on the subject of Coke machines. Its been brought up in every Smart discussion I've seen.
From what I understand, at some point, he assaulted a Coke machine.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
:wtf: :lol: :wtf: :lol:
-C

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Why am I not surprised.

....but, no. That would be too easy. I'll keep my smart-ass remarks to myself.

edit: based on Stryke's link, it actually sounds like the man had a point. Publishers are not nice guys, regardless of who you are.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 02:06:39 am by 644 »

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Smart beat the **** out of a Coke Machine for some reason or another. He probably thought it questioned his Ph.D.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
At least we wouldn't have to worry about memory leaks, I suppose.
-C

Well I am ashamed to say it but I actually said go for it derek on the AV forums.
I was unaware of his track record, and in general what a waste of life he is. And he gave me this impression entirely based on his responses.
I have been an avid fan of the FS universe for a long time, and sadly never even knew you guys were out here!
But im glad to say I can now correct this error, and although it means little, you have my complete support!
LONG LIVE HLP!

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Incidentially, you can download his failure previous to The Big Failure at HOTU. Knowledge is Strength. Know Your Enemy. Vaguely Fascistic Sounding Truism Here.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 02:15:07 am by 262 »

Offline TheVirtu

• Firedancer
    • http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
Alright, I thread this entire thread and seen some off-forum opinions...after seeing Derek Smart's actions, I'm changing my opinion...It's gonna be a coooold cooold day when he gets that license and puts a leash on us if he keeps that attitude up.

I think I'm going to agree to the post two posts up from here that got posted while I was typing this 60 second reply. Long live HLP. :thepimp:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 02:16:45 am by 472 »
Project Leader of the Ascension of Beyond Campaign
"There was a time of peace, this time is over, peace will be paid for in blood."
Site Director of the Auto Assault Outpost- http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
Site Director of the Darkspace Connection - http://www.3dap.com/darkspace
Former Webmaster of i82.co.uk - Shut Down 2/12/03
"If HLP wants your developing, they'll promote you to Senior Engineer, now shutup and focus!" - Shi
Think of the Coke machines! What did they ever do to you![/b]

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Originally posted by Gpspagan
Well I am ashamed to say it but I actually said go for it derek on the AV forums.
I was unaware of his track record, and in general what a waste of life he is. And he gave me this impression entirely based on his responses.
I have been an avid fan of the FS universe for a long time, and sadly never even knew you guys were out here!
But im glad to say I can now correct this error, and although it means little, you have my complete support!
LONG LIVE HLP!

:welcome:

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
LONG LIVE HLP!

Hey welcome to the crowd, enjoy the scenery, watch out for shivans in the pipes, and so forth. :p

Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
We need to add "Watch of the falsely qualified conquistadors" to the standard sig me thinks. :D
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
ok enough of the BS let the man do the game :)

power up photon beam cannons ... commence plasma core incertion ... FIRE

:welcome:
I hate My signature!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
LONG LIVE HLP!

One of the odd side effects of this announcement is that I suspect they'll be a fair bit of renewed interest in Freespace.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by karajorma

One of the odd side effects of this announcement is that I suspect they'll be a fair bit of renewed interest in Freespace.

Dear sweet lord
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=50097

Offline Zarax

Hmm... I guess i'm late but still...
This thing started in a very bad way, i'm used with unresponsive developers, but this one seems a step ahead of this, and doesn't really sound professional...
The problem is that from a business standpoint he's bloody right...
Once he will get the IP (personally i have no emnity with him), he will be able to do pretty much whatever he wants...
Just hope that after this unpleasant discussion he doesn't take fishy measures...
He does have IP potentially, while your work (i would say our, but not before having published here some work of mine) has no real protection, so watch out for eventual rip-off as we are on a weak side from a legal standpoint...
Let's face it... What we dreamed was to see SCP extended, with the professional guys (no disrespect meant to the great work done here) doing the bulk of the work, while the community gave the right direction... All of course with [V] blessing...
Unfortunately we've got here a potential developer with a less than ideal reputation and a potentially negative aptitude towards feedback from this community.
So, what are the possible scenarios?

1) DS fails to acquire the rights for the FS franchise or renounces to get it, thus leaving the situation unchanged

2) DS develops the game and somehow it meets fan expectations.
This leaves some question marks about how mod friendly it would be (any info on previous titles?)

3) DS develops it and it does not meet expectations, but heavy marketing makes the game sell, ruining in the process the FS franchise...

4) Both development and marketing fails... Little damage to the franchise is done and SCP carries along...

5) Another company gets the rights... In this case we should be prepared to a better start, whoever the developer is...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
I don't know who this guy is and neither his track record but anyone who posts in their sig that they have a Ph.D. is attention starved! and plus I'd rather see a 'large corporate entity' with a successful history and a more casual attitude towards fans then this guy.

Thats says a lot about GS and how HLP is out there. :eek2:

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Did anyone notice this post on that Blues News thread I linked above;

"     It's a shame that all of you are avoiding answering the question. All you seem to be able to do is toss the usual insults without saying anything of any value. So I would remind you again of the question. WOULD YOU PURCHASE FREESPACE 3.

I do not see anyone else stepping up to purchase the code, so it is most likely that the game would VANISH and NO ONE would play it. Is this what you fools want? Undoubtedly this would be a popular game and despite what any of you say you ARE the minority. Don't forget that.

As for the mods, of course they HAVE NO RIGHT to exist and cut from the copyright holders profits. No business would succeed that way.

So yet again I ask the question. Would you buy Freespace 3? YES OR NO"

I think this shows Mr. Smart egotism right there - he's scared of modders, not because they might cost him money, but because they might show him up.

Originally posted by Xelion
I don't know who this guy is and neither his track record but anyone who posts in their sig that they have a Ph.D. is attention starved! and plus I'd rather see a 'large corporate entity' with a successful history and a more casual attitude towards fans then this guy.

Allegedly, it's not even a real Phd - it's one from a, how shall we say, 'prestigious non-acreddited university'.  At least that's what I've read.

(may be a bit late, but) Ars technica has begun discussion
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=39309975&m=185006515631

I mentioned it to a friend and passed on relevant URLs, and hopefully something substantive will happen there.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Well, at least people know there's an FS community now, i guess.