Author Topic: PSA: Blue Planet Director's Cut stream  (Read 12139 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: PSA: Blue Planet Director's Cut stream
Feel free to dig up/submit a better take! We work with the talent we can get.

Believe me, 'act like grim resignation' gets much better results from amateurs than 'act like you're at 180bpm and about to die.'

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Okay, we finally got to the Space Simms part of this game. A few observations:
-Hyperions are bad news. If you thought Aeoluses were evil, Hyperions will top them.
-I could only do Darkest Hour by cheating. Not proud of that, but either I need to up my micro of my wingmen, or be better, or both
-Seeing an enemy Atalanta reverse AB out of an engagement is ... impressive.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Oh, and there will be no stream from me tomorrow due to previous engagements on my part. Streams will return on Thursday, 2000 GMT.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Darkest Hour is probably broken due to the new Kumari. I'll need to rebuild.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Did the Meridian have texture issues, or is it partially retextured?

Offline Aesaar

Offline crizza

Now, slap a third beam up front, add those new dish like flak cannons, change the old flaks into ter pulse and we're somewhere close to that Phoenicia thingy I'm phantasizing for ages... :D
Seriously, I love the up armored Hecate  :yes:

I'm working on this project practically full time right now (to the frustration of my publicist and book staff, I'm sure)- it just takes a lot of work to finish a good campaign. And we need to test thoroughly, since a tiny one-line table change can break the whole campaign.

It's not a matter of refusing to release it. It's that it's not done. This isn't creeping perfectionism. It's just how mods get made...you have to go through a cycle of tightening things, triaging in features you think you can afford, and playing the campaign over and over dozens of times.

As an example, we're missing two lines that a voice actor forgot to record. I'm in touch with him, but we can't release until he gets those lines back to us (or until we decide he's taking too long and cut the lines).

In the last week alone there've been 44 SVN commits. Mods take work. It's done when it's done.

General Battuta, if you become a millionaire from your books, can we get you to work full time on BP pl0x? :D

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
If the good General becomes a millionaire from his books, I suspect his full time job will be (and already is) writing books.

I did the Ranvir lines. For Serkr, the direction actually called for "Without obvious resignation or fear - think of the calm, professional efforts of an airline pilot to avert disaster until the last second."

Even so, I did a lot of takes for the Serkr team line to see what might work (panicky, more resigned, angry, more morose, shouty) but, as Battuta says, sounding a bit bored works better than melodrama. Particularly when combined with a heavy Australian accent which led to me being unhappy with any of my other takes. So, I played it towards the flat end of the scale under the idea that the officer knows precisely how well he's done in by those corvettes jumping in at that angle - nothing more than recognizing a tactical move. "Yep, that's Serkr team, get clear Alpha because there's nothing anyone can do at this point." He doesn't even say thanks or good luck - as far as he's concerned, everyone's just died. My other thought was, as he might not be the CO and could just be Communications Guy Bill, you'd want someone who won't fly off the handle even if there's torpedoes and beams raining down. It's his job to give bad news, in a way, and this just happens to be the worst news he could give.

Australian accents get melodramatic very quickly to a lot of audiences because of how nasal we can get. We also talk very quickly which is something that hurt a lot of takes because I'd sit there and go 'Could someone who hasn't heard a real Australian accent process these lines in the heat of battle?' and decide 'Probably not'. Or 'Does this sound right for a professional military officer who knows the capabilities of Serkr team and his own vessel?' A nervous delivery, to me, would be fitting if the Ranvir was turning to engage or seemed to have a chance of victory - not caught at close range where it has no main weapons by essentially Richthofen's Flying Circus.

EDIT: For example, in Pacific Rim, the two Aussie pilots are actors from another country affecting about half of an Australian accent. The genuine article is honestly hard to take seriously, possibly due to how American and English accents are associated with serious drama and Australian accents are the domain of quirky, humorous characters. When Australians get agitated or emotional, we tend to start sounding like we're asking questions due to our tendency to go 'up' at the end of sentences regardless of punctuation, which would sound much worse if the Ranvir's officer sounded like he was continuously unsure of everything he was saying. So, I slowed down, enunciated and kept my voice level. In the end, the necessity of the content being understood in the right tone by an audience who might not 'get' an Australian accent won out over the takes that were a bit more theatrical.

EDIT 2: Mad Max, the classic it is, was redubbed entirely for American audiences due to the fact that the broadcasters were concerned the accents would be incomprehensible and that audiences wouldn't take it seriously.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 06:32:02 am by Azrael15 »

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Side info, I'm also streaming BP Director's cut about two hours before E, before making way for his stream. I've already started yesterday and I'll start again tomorrow before him. Be ready to enjoy full nights of bees and pees.

http://www.twitch.tv/matththegeek

(I also didn't turn archiving streams last time, sorry)
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
BP stream going live right now!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And another round of me dying a lot has ended! Join me tomorrow at 2000 BST for more unnecessary deaths, general tragedy of war, and weird imaginary voices.

I'm rebuilding Universal Truth. The Erebus' firepower is really throwing off mission balance right now.
Howso? Isn't the armament largely the same? And I assume you mean its point defenses, since I don't recall there being much in the way of Shivan warships attacking you in the mission (at least, not ones that were engaged by allied warships rather than yourself). Been a while since I played that mission, though, so I could be wrong.
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Hell no the armament is not the same.  50% more turrets, and turrets confirmed 50% more badass on an per turret basis :)

(apparently Pulsar AAA absolutely murders strikecraft)

(ps check the wiki for more info)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Next stream is going to start in about 2 hours.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Going live in 10 minutes!

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Kyle Netreba sounds like Bane.

He was born in the Fleet. Moulded by it.

EDIT: Damn, Levi didn't die. I wanted to hear my death scream.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 06:53:10 pm by Hobbie »
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
petition for Admiral Recamai to be a main character in BP3
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Delenda Est sounds really good, even if I always 'heard' a lot more panic and shouting and desperation in my head reading the lines. Even so, I'm blown away by some of the talent here.