Author Topic: High Poly GTD Orion  (Read 118790 times)

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Hel-lo, beautiful!
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Is it done yet, can we get it textured now :V
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
 :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:  :D

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
http://p3d.in/U4plL

Update: Antennae bit is being worked on, not finished, same with the engine subsystem area (not the engines atm) and of course, hull detail. As well as model the smaller turret, which appears to be a multipart just as the retail model's did (srsly, take a close look at it)
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Are you going to fill this big hole under the bottom turret with some details, parts?

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Of course. I'll likely fill it with some sort of reactor, with wires and such. It's obviously too far from the engine nozzles to be the actual engine, so it has to be something that would provide it power.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Regarding the non-multipart turrets, might you be considering making them into very small multi-part ones using the non-standard-positioning submodel animation code?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Are we going to have a flight deck we can fly into like the GVD Hatshepsut?
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Of course. I'll likely fill it with some sort of reactor, with wires and such. It's obviously too far from the engine nozzles to be the actual engine, so it has to be something that would provide it power.
Please, not reactor. It would be stupid to make the vital parts of 2km long warship's exposed, covered only by some grids (or if you really want to make reactor parts, please give them some armour) :D Maybe some engine cooler parts? Some pipes with hot gases which are made to discharge the heat from other systems.

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Please, not reactor. It would be stupid to make the vital parts of 2km long warship's exposed, covered only by some grids (or if you really want to make reactor parts, please give them some armour) :D Maybe some engine cooler parts? Some pipes with hot gases which are made to discharge the heat from other systems.

Agreed.  Radiator is better than reactor.
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
By that logic, a radiator would be the same kind of weak spot.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
By that logic, a radiator would be the same kind of weak spot.
rector gets popped and you are dead in space, a radiator gets slagged you still have a chance to escape if nothing else

edit
also radiators logically need to be exposed to space to work
Reactors have no reason to have direct access short of ejections and are better off burried deep in the ship to protect them so long as you have sufficient cooling
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Kolgena

Could be like the Hatshepsut reactor. The subsystem looks like hull until you blow it up, at which point you expose a reactor.

edit: no wait totally fill the space with meson bombs XD

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Engine. The Orion doesn't have any "reactor" subsystem.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

I still think that it will be better to fill this space with radiator's pipes. Destroyable reactor subsystem might be a funny thing but it shouldn't look like this (exposed)

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
There's a lot of detail in the texture this thing is replacing that can be expanded upon.  I get the feeling it may end up looking like a mash of radiators and generator equipment.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I'm not convinced that it can't be a reactor (especially since destroy reactor subsystems for other ships don't disable them outright unless FREDded to do so), but radiator explanation makes a lot of sense and probably act as a psuedo-reactor anyway.

Could always try for radiators and armored fuel tanks that feeds into the engines.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Honestly I vote we let the Rule of Cool win out over any overly-elaborate explanations. :p

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
^ this
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras