Author Topic: High Poly GTD Orion  (Read 118834 times)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Yes, rule of cool.
Cause at the end of the day while you are playing freespace, it's better to gaze upon a cool shaped Orion than a boring floating cube of death.
el hombre vicio...

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
form follows function people

rule of cool is a stupid rule, something can be perfectly functional/cool looking and work at the same time

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
rule of cool is a stupid rule, something can be perfectly functional/cool looking and work at the same time

Really? If a model can be made to be functional and look cool at the same time is a win-win situation, if not and you choose to make a model just functional and ugly it will not get used if there's another option to replace it IMO.
el hombre vicio...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Rule of Cool FTW!

Srsly.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Plus we're dealing with a theoretical future, let's not forget that.  Almost anything can be functional because we have no idea what the technologies of this time period are like, and we are limited only by our imagination.

Srsly this is what pissed me off about the Infinity people-- 'OMG UR SHIP IS TOO UNREALISTIC FIX EET.'  Really?  We're several centuries into the future and you're calling a spaceship that can decelerate from FTL speeds in less than an AU without pancaking its entire crew 'unrealistic' just because the main viewing port of the control tower isn't flat?

Sorry for the tangent.  Rule of cool, yes.  Just keep it stylistically in-line with the Orion and everything will be fine.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
form follows function people

This is why we can't have nice things.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Yes, rule of cool.
Cause at the end of the day while you are playing freespace, it's better to gaze upon a cool shaped Orion than a boring floating cube of death.
This ^. Any thing mechanical looking will suffice to fill in the hole, it doesn't really need to be functional. Hell it could be a waste processing plant for all I care, just as long as it looks cool and fills in the space I'll be happy. Very nice work there Hades.
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Well right now it's just a hole... what's so "cool" about that?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well right now it's just a hole... what's so "cool" about that?

:rolleyes:
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Yes, rule of cool.

Ey, don't say things like this. Floating cubes of doom are also cool :D

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
At my Thanksgiving table, if I complained about the stuffing in the turkey because it had a reactor or radiator in it, the only thing I got was a smack in the face.

I'll stab youse guys. I promise.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 03:14:52 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
At my Thanksgiving table, if I complained about the stuffing in the turkey because it had a reactor or radiator in it, the only thing I got was a smack in the face.

I'll stab youse guys. I promise.

thanks

please stab matth first though

he's just spewing ad hominem crap again

You know what... Just do what you planned. it doesn't really matter if you call this thing reactor or whatever. Even if the model has such subsystem included, it doesn't mean that we have to notice that in main campaign for example (proper flags in .tbm?). If you would like to make a mission where for example, we are fighting against NTF destroyer and if you destroy this subsystem, then the Orion loose some hitpoints etc. No problem then, just modify the ship's table. Two minutes of work.

I've been always following my rule. "If you don't like something, don't use it or change it to make it suitable".

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
If a subsystem has no hitpoints and is untargetable (both table things) then it will affect gameplay minimally.

Offline Hades

You know what... Just do what you planned. it doesn't really matter if you call this thing reactor or whatever. Even if the model has such subsystem included, it doesn't mean that we have to notice that in main campaign for example (proper flags in .tbm?). If you would like to make a mission where for example, we are fighting against NTF destroyer and if you destroy this subsystem, then the Orion loose some hitpoints etc. No problem then, just modify the ship's table. Two minutes of work.

I've been always following my rule. "If you don't like something, don't use it or change it to make it suitable".
I was kidding. I just wished to imply (by directly stating) that I would physically harm you all (tough man, I am!)
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Hades

http://p3d.in/U4plL

Started detailing towards the nose, close to the multiparts
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
The Orion will NOT have the hull plating put on it, though, as it is already hitting 41k triangles without it. It's prolly mostly finished, aside from some hull details here and there, the small turrets, finishing up the modeled thruster, and the engine subsystem bit.
Not that I'm complaining, but it would seem you are a liar, sir.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Hades

The Orion will NOT have the hull plating put on it, though, as it is already hitting 41k triangles without it. It's prolly mostly finished, aside from some hull details here and there, the small turrets, finishing up the modeled thruster, and the engine subsystem bit.
I saw Aesaar hitting closer to 100k with his Raynor and knew that I, with my 25k Apollo mesh, could not be out polygoned by such a fat man.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Aesaar

You meddle with forces beyond your comprehension, Hades.

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter

To quote his title "FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED".
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon