Author Topic: texture problems  (Read 1725 times)

Offline --Steve-O--

• I might be the last man on earth to use TS3.2
i made a custom texture from a UV map template to see if i got this textureing business down, and it seems to have worked, it shows up in the PCS veiw window, but when i plop the test cube into fred and then the game itself, the texture is invisible...but all the tiled spots show.
the texture originated as a BMP in Gimp, converted to PCX, and dropped into Data/Maps, and renamed to CubeText.pcx, and even renamed in PCS's texture slot...nada.
what did i miss?
"And so they dwelled in filth, on worlds made of dirt and feces, and there they lay until they stumbled into the skies." --the Mad Prophet

Offline Water

i made a custom texture from a UV map template to see if i got this textureing business down, and it seems to have worked, it shows up in the PCS veiw window, but when i plop the test cube into fred and then the game itself, the texture is invisible...but all the tiled spots show.
the texture originated as a BMP in Gimp, converted to PCX, and dropped into Data/Maps, and renamed to CubeText.pcx, and even renamed in PCS's texture slot...nada.
what did i miss?
Save as tga and delete pcx. See if that works.

Offline --Steve-O--

converted over to TGA same deal...
it lists the texture in pcs and model view it just doesn't show them, renders it invisible in both, as well as fred, ingame its like a big black panel...the texture shows fine in truespace however.
"And so they dwelled in filth, on worlds made of dirt and feces, and there they lay until they stumbled into the skies." --the Mad Prophet

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Dunno if it matters anymore, but in retail it had to be in the Indexed color palette.

Offline Water

Dunno if it matters anymore, but in retail it had to be in the Indexed color palette.

Yes it still seems to matter.

@--Steve-O--
Unless you change the image mode to indexed in the Gimp, it will save as a 24bit, and the game won't see it.

The 24bit pcx has to be deleted from the map directory otherwise the game will find it instead of the tga.

If you deleted the pcx from the map dir and the game still doesn't see the tga, you may need to post the cube ship and texture.

Offline --Steve-O--

just tried to resave the texture as indexed...still nothing. well now it shows as a white panel in PCS viewer. i guess that is some kind of progress.
here is what model view says
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 08:20:17 am by --Steve-O-- »

Offline Water

just tried to resave the texture as indexed...still nothing. well now it shows as a white panel in PCS viewer. i guess that is some kind of progress.
here is what model view says
ok tga is no good for model view.
Modelview will list a 24bit pcx texture but it won't show it on the model.
It's saying there is no cubetext (pcx) image file in freespace's \data\maps directory

Since you do not have cubetext.pcx in the \data\maps directory, what do you have?

(if you already know this bit - cool, otherwise )
In Gimp - convert image to indexed mode.
Image>Mode>Indexed - leave it at optimum palette - then save to cubetext.pcx (.pcx extension)

Offline --Steve-O--

AH HA!!! that did the trick. and know i know how do this thing right.
thank you much!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I thought the indexed problem was resolved in SCP. Meh, guess I never checked. :o