Author Topic: Music  (Read 2492 times)

Offline --Steve-O--

• I might be the last man on earth to use TS3.2
can FS SCP play MP3s or is it strictly .wav as far as music is concerned? when i get into actually writing campaign missions i wanted to use some of the tracks from C&C Red Alert that i managed to find on the web. i think they would fit.
"And so they dwelled in filth, on worlds made of dirt and feces, and there they lay until they stumbled into the skies." --the Mad Prophet

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

You can use the play-sound-from-file SEXP to play WAVs. If you need to do any conversions, I recommend Audacity.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Offline Topgun

Audacity rocks but, *plugs into thread* what are good programs for synthesizing sound (to make your own music).

Offline --Steve-O--

• I might be the last man on earth to use TS3.2
that worked nicely, thanks!
"And so they dwelled in filth, on worlds made of dirt and feces, and there they lay until they stumbled into the skies." --the Mad Prophet

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
I use FL studio 7. Top notch. The guy who made freespace used Calkwalk and a special package for the vocals.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Were there any plans to implement .mp3 playback?  I thought the decoding part was open source..

Offline blackhole

• Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
but OGG is so NICE! :D :p

Its just so simple to convert MP3 to OGG...  I think it would be quite unnessacary. Wouldn't you rather the coders work on something more worthwhile? :doubt:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Converting .mp3 to .ogg loses quality.  The only way to avoid this is to convert directly from the source .wav to .ogg, or so I've been told.  .mp3 cuts different parts than .ogg does, so while .ogg sounds better than .mp3, an .mp3 file converted to .ogg sounds worse than either.  :(  That's been the only thing keeping me from converting my entire ~10GB of VBR0 .mp3 collection to .ogg format.  That and the sad lack of .ogg support by almost every single .mp3 player out there.  :mad:

Offline blackhole

• Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
...Your that picky about it? I never notice the quality loss.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
....entire ~10GB of VBR0 .mp3 collection to .ogg ...

Offline blackhole

• Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
if your talking about that huge amount of music, you need an mp3 playlist, not just mp3 support.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
??? .m3u... I've used them for forever.  What do you mean?  You mean support in the MP3 player itself?  If so, well, I can only hold between 1-2 GB, because it's got 1GB built in, + a micro SD expansion slot, which I have a few 1GB micro SD cards for, which I got for $8.~~ after shipping, IIRC, from TigerDirect or newegg, and they each have a micro SD -> SD card adapter... pretty nifty!  So I can use these in my camera, which has an SD slot, or my MP3 player, which as I said is micro SD.  That MP3 player was ~ $40.~~ at Wal-Mart, and RCA Pearl... pretty nice for the price.  Anyways, I blather on... :sigh:  ;)

Offline blackhole

• Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
....buh? When did this go into actual mp3 players? i was referring to adding playlist support in FS2.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
but OGG is so NICE! :D :p

Its just so simple to convert MP3 to OGG...  I think it would be quite unnessacary. Wouldn't you rather the coders work on something more worthwhile? :doubt:

I was using an example of my .mp3 music collection.  It would be an .ogg collection if not for the quality loss.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Were there any plans to implement .mp3 playback?  I thought the decoding part was open source..

That's not the only requirement for adding code to the game though. It has to be a certain kind of open source for us to use it. GPL won't cut it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

....buh? When did this go into actual mp3 players? i was referring to adding playlist support in FS2.

Playlist support is already there, its called a music table? (FS1?)