Author Topic: people can do amazing things with LEGO....  (Read 10718 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
people can do amazing things with LEGO....
An unfinished version of my Technic model can be seen here; these pictures are several months out of date, but I wanted to get a few shots of the interior that would be covered up when the thing was finished. (I will take another batch of photographs when the model is complete)

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=10501

I like both MLCad and LeoCad; the former has more space parts and the latter has more technic parts. ;)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Bah........  you're making me depressed about being too old to play with Lego, now.  Not using any of that LegoCad pish....where's the fun in that?

I'm impressed they managed to get all those same coloured bricks, though.

Offline EdrickV

• Valued
    • http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers
Originally posted by aldo_14
Bah........  you're making me depressed about being too old to play with Lego, now.

You're never too old to play with Legos. :) (Now Duplo is another story.) Tempted to dig up some of my Lego ships and try modeling them in Wings3D.
Ground - "Let me help you out, you're clear to taxi any way you can, to any runway you see."

Mesh Gallery/Downloads:
http://members.aol.com/ArisKalzar/Gallery.html
Turreting 101:
http://members.aol.com/EdrickV/FS2/Turreting.html

http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by EdrickV

You're never too old to play with Legos. :) (Now Duplo is another story.) Tempted to dig up some of my Lego ships and try modeling them in Wings3D.

Duplo is safer when drunk :D

Offline Ryx

• Twilight Falling
  • Away in RL land. Back later.
Originally posted by Killfrenzy
The poly count for some of them would be through the roof if modelled.....

hi-poly... *drool*

Really some of these are great. :yes:
Intel C2D E6850|4Gb RAM|Abit IP35 PRO|ATI X1900 XT

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Looking at those pictures reminds me of the good old days...
I used to make gigantic starships (from Lego of course), and put them on a small pole in the garden and then simulate a meteor shower (with rocks)...lost a lot of Lego's that way...But it sure was fun.

MLCad you say? I have to give it a try!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

ok... it nothing to do with space ships.... but it's HUUUGE! :O

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=4149

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted EdrickV :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by aldo_14
Bah........ you're making me depressed about being too old to play with Lego, now.

You're never too old to play with Legos.  (Now Duplo is another story.) Tempted to dig up some of my Lego ships and try modeling them in Wings3D

true :) At an age of 23, I still found LEGO amusing (yes... even DUPLO ;) )

and speaking of MLCad....
unfinished one...

---EDIT---
and have a look here too... http://www.oklahoma.net/~jpalmer/GS/
« Last Edit: May 14, 2002, 11:14:28 am by 399 »
----------------------------------------------
GTD Swiss Pride - Orion Class
Swiss 1st Fleet, Sector 32 - Ore Belt - Sol
"I'm an engineer!"

Eve: Since Beta Phase 2
Civilizazion Fan: Seems like forever...
SimCity Fan: SC 2000 is still the best
TT Fan: Since 1995
Switzerland: Since 1291

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I'll be playing with my Legos, especially Technic, until, as the saying goes "the bricks are pried out from my cold, dead hands." :D

Ah, I found the link to that crane I mentioned earlier. Remember that, unlike the other Lego themes, Technic models are fully functional and work just like the real things, with compunded mechanical gear-trains, pneumatic control switches, closed-input motors, etc. ;) I can see some flaws in this one; the stud-mania has taken over the whole model, making it heavier and less stable, but just look at how realistic it looks, and more importantly, the sheer size of the thing!

This was the only one I have seen yet that really had my jaw drop. Go here for more information: http://www.legotrucks.com/dennisbosman/cmno04.html

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
[glow=brown]HOLY ****!!!! [/glow]

That thing is humongous (sp?).
:jaw: isn't enough to describe that!!!
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

As some of you may have noticed, I'm not much for graphical smilies.  That being said...

:jaw:

--TurboNed
"It is the year 2000, but where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars! I don't see any flying cars. Why? Why? Why?" - [size=-2]Avery Brooks from an IBM commercial[/size]

WOW! :D 3.6 m high....
GTD Swiss Pride - Orion Class
Swiss 1st Fleet, Sector 32 - Ore Belt - Sol
"I'm an engineer!"

Eve: Since Beta Phase 2
Civilizazion Fan: Seems like forever...
SimCity Fan: SC 2000 is still the best
TT Fan: Since 1995
Switzerland: Since 1291

Offline Redfang

:jaw: Amazing!

Some people really can do something with legos. :nod::yes:

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
I always have trouble with finding the right colour bricks. It's a real kick in the teeth to have a huge, glowing, blue space-ship and only have a few ****ty red bricks to finish off some vital part.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Grrr, i so envy these people.  I wish i had the time, money, even willpower to build one just a quarter that size.  Sadly i have to go to school, and lego in the UK costs its weight in gold.

The tallest thing i ever built was a tower about 2m high.  It was just brick upon brick, and it was pretty thin, so it had guidwires to hold it up.

On Orion would be easy-ish to make in lego, since its not very round.

Oh well. :(

pete

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Offline Fozzy

• Wokka wokka wokka!
  • Wanabe A Mighty Modder
    • Fozzy's Myspace
Originally posted by Killfrenzy
Where can I get MLCad?

Here http://www.lm-software.com/mlcad/
The Terran VolksWagen Project - Lol
"that was a little too close, we gota wait fifteen mins to change our shorts" = (snipes, FS2)
I can whoop your ass with my LOGITECH

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I always have trouble with finding the right colour bricks. It's a real kick in the teeth to have a huge, glowing, blue space-ship and only have a few ****ty red bricks to finish off some vital part.

Surprisingly, this tends to be less of a problem for me, as most of the Technic sets use at least some gray and black for the exterior. ;)

What most of these people do, however, is not to buy lots of actual sets, but order thousands of identical parts in bulk directly from Lego. (they offer such a service for certain parts)
Grrr, i so envy these people. I wish i had the time, money, even willpower to build one just a quarter that size. Sadly i have to go to school, and lego in the UK costs its weight in gold.

Those are the same problems for me; I can create medium-sized Technic stuff (in the 1-1.5m range), but I don't have the money for the pieces or time to build these huge models. :( However, once I get a stable job and start earning an income, that will change quickly... ;7

Now that the exams are over, I am going to go full-force on my ATCR2 model; should hopefully have it finished sometime soon. It will not be that big, but the functionality should make up for that. ;)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2002, 06:53:13 pm by 296 »

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Color doesn't matter- if you really can't see past it, spray-paint the thing. I've never had a problem, and my Lego set's mostly in red, yellow, and blue while all the cool stuff is red, gray, and black.

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
    • http://www.c4-group.dk
you have seen nothing until you have been to LEGOLAND.
they even have the mount rushmore in scaling of course but it is still higher then 6 meters.

and a full sized car built entirely of lego blocks.

hmm, guees where I live :D, about 70 kms from LEGOLAND, but then i would get the "RETURN to battlefield pilot", or suffer the penalty :D

www.legoland.dk
« Last Edit: May 14, 2002, 07:26:31 pm by 508 »
VBB member; reg aug 1999; total posts 600.
War is a lion, on whos back you fall, never to get up.
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
about 70 kms from LEGOLAND

:mad: :D You lucky guy; the only place that I would be willing to leave my house to go see would be one of the LEGOLANDs. There is one in the US as well, but it directly on the opposite side of the country from where I live. :p

and a full sized car built entirely of lego blocks.

I have heard that one guy actually built a full-sized version of the 8458 Silver Champion model (an official set) which, except for the wheels, was built entirely out of Technic pieces, but I have never seen any pictures of this.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2002, 08:15:41 pm by 296 »

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I've seen entire Lego cities, with bridges, rivers, hotels, and everyting else and star wars characters (like Darth Vader).
Cool!:cool:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!