Author Topic: Realism Mod :D  (Read 4616 times)

Offline morris13

• New Marshal in town...
Even today, it rather depends on the fighter. An A-10 for example is capable of taking a rather impressive amount of punishment without going down. Even the lighter unarmored fighters can take a few dozen rounds without exploding, and even then usually its because of who delicate the engines are. Any flak or cannon rounds that get into a jet engine will almost always damage the turbines enough that it won't work. I'd think that one or two missiles to kill a fighter and two or three for a bomber
isn't unrealistic, and thats not counting the shields, which make an awful lot of difference.
If it aint broke, break it!

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Agreed. If there are no shields, than one, maybe two missiles should be enough.

But with shields, I would think you would be able to take one or two more...are you leaving the shields on?

------------------
Sushi- the OTHER white meat!

Accelerate your game-Velocity Mod
Sushi's Freespace Zone-Future home of loads of cool stuff.

Offline The Claw

• Run! Chickens Incoming!
Well, if I release this as a proper mod for FS2 it's debatable.
 I think I might rebalance it so it's more like 3-4 hits from a laser and 1-2 for a missile.
"I love the English for three reasons. One, we always beat you at rugby. Two, your wives are always friendly. Three you fought like devils to save us" Old French bloke at my uncles pub.
"One has plenty of time for contemplation while waiting for the endless waves of bad doggie werewolf monsters that chew your toes while you sleep"-Dradeel, BG2

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
depends where you shot, and what you shot. an hydra rocket in a wing "may" allow the ship to fly (supposing that there is no fuel tank in the wing...) an AGM64 phoenix  will kill any plane in one shot I guess. in fact a sidewinder would too... and bombers are not more armoured than a fighter, now... a B2 shot by a missile will be doomed (and don't forget that they carry a huge payload. even with securities, there's always the risk of the whole stuff to explode because of fire). The A10 is trully a special case. it can fly with only half of a wing reaped, and with only one engine. But if another a10 opened fire on it with its avenger canon,; well the A10 would be doomed too. Damn the recoil of the Aveger can stop the plane even with full afterburners . bad guy hehe  
SCREW CANON!

Offline The Claw

I dunno, we'll see how it goes  
"I love the English for three reasons. One, we always beat you at rugby. Two, your wives are always friendly. Three you fought like devils to save us" Old French bloke at my uncles pub.
"One has plenty of time for contemplation while waiting for the endless waves of bad doggie werewolf monsters that chew your toes while you sleep"-Dradeel, BG2

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Originally posted by Shrike:
All the basic turrets.  Increased shot speed and ROF but reduced damage, so you have to be more careful or you'll be taking additional hits.

Give me a link, so I can compare... *evil laugh*  

------------------
"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Fattony

• Banned
One word:

Insane

Offline morris13

• New Marshal in town...

Originally posted by venom2506:
depends where you shot, and what you shot. an hydra rocket in a wing "may" allow the ship to fly (supposing that there is no fuel tank in the wing...) an AGM64 phoenix  will kill any plane in one shot I guess. in fact a sidewinder would too... and bombers are not more armoured than a fighter, now... a B2 shot by a missile will be doomed (and don't forget that they carry a huge payload. even with securities, there's always the risk of the whole stuff to explode because of fire). The A10 is trully a special case. it can fly with only half of a wing reaped, and with only one engine. But if another a10 opened fire on it with its avenger canon,; well the A10 would be doomed too. Damn the recoil of the Aveger can stop the plane even with full afterburners . bad guy hehe  

Thats mostly true, but as I said most of the immediate kill effect that these missiles generate is because jet engines are unarmored and extremely fragile. ALL anti-aircraft missiles use proximity-fused fragmentation warheads to generate big clouds of flak for exactly this reason. B-52 bombers can and have taken missile hits without crashing, I've read descriptions from vietnam. Prop-driven aircraft are quite a bit more resistant to damage because the engines are somewhat harder to damage.
If it aint broke, break it!

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
now, we musn't forget that a spacehip is different from a plane. There's no worry about aerodynamic issues, but there's more about temperature. A plane can sustain really warm temperature (the SR71 can fly up to mach 3, and must resist extremely high t°), but nothing in comparison with a space faring vehicle (not atmosphere to stop sun, or extremely cold environment when there's no sun -behind a planet, or, in fact, on the non exposed side of the ship). The US shuttle hull is much more resistant than a plane hull for this main reason, and I bet it could resist some punishment. A spacefighter, free from the aerodynamic issues, will probably have a more resistant hull than its atmospheric counterpart, just because of t°. So, I suppose a space fighter should be much more resistant than an atmospheric fighter.
SCREW CANON!

Offline The Claw

Yes, but to counter this, the payload and dynamics of the missiles would be changed.