Author Topic: subspace artillery help  (Read 4706 times)

Offline morris13

• New Marshal in town...
subspace artillery help
I'm trying to work with the ssm.tbl and I'm having some problems with it. I dug up a couple old threads where Bobboau explains it and followed the instructions, creating a new wordpad document with the proper fields and saving it as ssm.tbl into the table folder. However, I found that whenever I have an ssm.tbl file in the table folder, the fs2 hangs and crashes the system when I try to load it. I'm not sure what could be causing this, any ideas?
If it aint broke, break it!

Offline Fattony

• Banned
subspace artillery help
I get that as well. I was targetting a Sath with a ****  load of Cyclops and the T-Laser and the damn game stalled.

Try knocking down the spread and number of missiles. The graphics engine might be getting ****ed over.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
subspace artillery help
uhhh, what is ssm.tbl????
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline morris13

• New Marshal in town...
subspace artillery help

Originally posted by Fattony:
I get that as well. I was targetting a Sath with a ****  load of Cyclops and the T-Laser and the damn game stalled.

Try knocking down the spread and number of missiles. The graphics engine might be getting ****ed over.

No, you misunderstand. FS2 crashes when you try to launch the game. Its not a graphics issue. You hit the 'play' button on the launcher and it just goes 'phht' and dies. =P

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
subspace artillery help

Originally posted by Raven2001:
uhhh, what is ssm.tbl????

It's the file that defines the subspace missile strike; it was originally intended that you could use the targeting laser (still in the weapons.tbl) - when you hit a ship with it, a bunch of helios, etc, would jump out of subspace and hit the ship you hit.

i think   dropped it as it would give the player an unlimited number of high-power missiles, but you can still edit the ssm.tbl file to get it to work - I think.

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
subspace artillery help
Use the one that bobuao made and just edit it or did you do that?

------------------

------------------
                   [email protected]                  Staff member of
SOC Inferno,can you defeat the shivans?  

Soc Inferno

iqc 102628858
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline morris13

• New Marshal in town...
subspace artillery help
Thats exactly what I did, in fact =)

Offline Black Ace

• The Traveler
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
subspace artillery help
hmmm... sounds like an idea I'd like to use in my campaign!  

------------------
Staff Member, Hard Light Productions
Creator / Project Coordinator: The Perfect Storm
TPS Forums Page - Click Here
Think you've got killer vocal cords? Voice actors needed! Email me @                        [email protected]                          

These detonators were a piece of junk! I even followed the directions... - Lt. Commander Snipes - Special Operations Command
Staff Member,Hard Light Productions

Creator / Project Coordinator:The Perfect Storm

Black Ace 2.1a - "I've been beyond the rim... and back!"

Offline morris13

• New Marshal in town...
subspace artillery help
Where's Bobboau when you need him? =P

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
subspace artillery help
what?

post your ssm tbl here

------------------
Bobboau, bringing you products that work.............. in theory
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline morris13

• New Marshal in town...
;; subspace missile strike definition
$SSM:
+weapon:   Helios
+count:           5
+WarpRadius:    200
+WarpTime:      5
+Radius:   500
+Offset:   500

I was wondering, should it be "helios" with quotes like in the allowed sections of the ships tbl?  Its strange because its not just that it doesn't work, if I have an ssm.tbl in the folder AT ALL freespace 2 will NOT run. It locks up my computer after I try to start it. Very odd.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
and this was pasted into the ssm.tbl

------------------
Bobboau, bringing you products that work.............. in theory
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along

Originally posted by Black Ace:
hmmm... sounds like an idea I'd like to use in my campaign!  

Hey aldo_14... Sonuds like a good idea to use in OUR campaign      

Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
It wouldn't do much good against the ########, seeing as it has #### ###### ######.  

I think giving the player an unlimited number of missile strikes might be a bit dodgy.....certainly it's an option if we can find a good use for it.

I think that was the main reason they cut it - it's not particularly easy to use in a fair way, unless you limit the number of strikes per mission.

------------------
Team Member of The Ghost and the Darkness
        [email protected]        

"Why does it always rain on me?
Is it because I lied when I was seventeen?
Even when the sun is shining, I can't avoid the lightning.."

(c)1999 Travis

[This message has been edited by aldo_14 (edited 06-20-2001).]

so the tageting laser does serve a purpose.  or it did, before   took out its primary function.

------------------
Zeta Leader

death comes quickly to those who fail
Zeta Leader

death comes quickly to those who fail

Offline morris13

• New Marshal in town...
What I did was type that into wordpad and then save it as 'ssm.tbl' into the freespace/data/tables folder.

Offline Snipes

• http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/us
Morris; extract the original ssm tbl, and paste it in...

raven... can you picture 200+ tempest warping out of subspace? >:D

------------------
United Space
Newsie, Modder, Slave to Asta
------------------
"Snipes... Is The Dark Continent."

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Originally posted by Snipes:
Morris; extract the original ssm tbl, and paste it in...

raven... can you picture 200+ tempest warping out of subspace? >

the only difference between Morrises stuff and the ssm.tbl (barring the entry) is that he doesn't have an #end entry.  This could be why it crashes, if you don't have it.

Offline morris13

• New Marshal in town...
Hrm.. I was sure I had an end entry in there before, I must have done something to it. Either way, extracting the ssm.tbl and modifying it rather than trying to make a new one from scratch has worked fine, thanx for the help =)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Originally posted by Raven2001:
Hey aldo_14... Sonuds like a good idea to use in OUR campaign      

*sigh* That's what they all think - until they start testing the darn thing.

The main problem with the SSM is that the missiles/bombs/whatever warp in a set distance from the PLAYER SHIP. That's what the "+Offset: 500" line is - those Helioses will warp in 500 meters from your ship and head towards the target. Even if the target is at the maximum range of the targeting laser (don't remember what that is, exactly), those bombs will appear 500 meters from the player.

Of course, you can change that value to be whatever you want, but it is a set value and will not change according to the distance from the player to the targeted ship.

------------------
"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill