Author Topic: I need help with making a shield  (Read 2385 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I need help with making a shield
I don't want to go into details at the moment, as it's kept secret for my campaign   , but I have a non-fighter ship that requires a tight fitting shield, and segletouch only makes round shields.  So, can anyone tell me how to make a new shield or the ship?  If you contact me on ICQ / e-mail I can send further info if you need it.

------------------
Team Member of The Ghost and the Darkness
       [email protected]      

"Why does it always rain on me?
Is it because I lied when I was seventeen?
Even when the sun is shining, I can't avoid the lightning.."

(c)1999 Travis

Offline morris13

• New Marshal in town...
I think you can create a new subobject and glue it to the model in TS just like you would a level of detail. I'm pretty sure i've seen descriptions of doing shields this way on the boards, but I don't remember where, I'll see if I can find them.
If it aint broke, break it!

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Create a copy of the original ship model, expand it's size so it's where you want it relative to the ship, and then use various modelling tools to simplify the new shield mesh- for 3ds, Collapse should work nicely.

Of course, once you have the shield mesh, I'm not sure how to get it into the game...

------------------
Sushi- the OTHER white meat!

Accelerate your game-Velocity Mod
Sushi's Freespace Zone-Future home of loads of cool stuff.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
mph, depending of the model's shape, it's not always sure to work... if there's  "holes" or oblic dents, you're in the mess.
SCREW CANON!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Originally posted by venom2506:
mph, depending of the model's shape, it's not always sure to work... if there's  "holes" or oblic dents, you're in the mess.

It's spiky (Shivan).  I don't have 3ds Max, but I can edit the blender file to make a decent shield shape so long as can glue it on.

that'd work, but you have to make sure that the shpere is composed of triangles.

------------------
Zeta Leader

death comes quickly to those who fail
Zeta Leader

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Originally posted by zeta_leader:
that'd work, but you have to make sure that the shpere is composed of triangles.

Well, if i use the original model it should be all triangles - I think.  I can triangulate it in TS, anyway.  I want to avoid using a straight sphere, as fighters can ly through shields and I want to minimise that as much as possible.

hey, here's an idea.  what if you made another sphere, the same dimension as the shield, but gave it the invisible texture.  you set the sphere as a destroyable object, and linked with an event in a mission, drop the shields.  this would give a barrier effct, though I'm not sure if it would follow the story line as the ###### has ###### ##########   .  just a thought.

------------------
Zeta Leader

Zeta Leader

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Originally posted by zeta_leader:
hey, here's an idea.  what if you made another sphere, the same dimension as the shield, but gave it the invisible texture.  you set the sphere as a destroyable object, and linked with an event in a mission, drop the shields.  this would give a barrier effct, though I'm not sure if it would follow the story line as the ###### has ###### ##########   .  just a thought.

Well, ican do the same thing with a spherical shield in segletouch - I want to have the shield impact ani, and also to allow fighters to fly through the shields when necessarry.  It's an idea, though.

Offline QXMX

Aldo, how did you get the LOD 1 to display in the zoom box.  For me, it keeps on displaying LOD2.

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
  This means nothing to me... I wish I knew how to model.. oh well  

------------------
    -Director of the staff of Hidden Terror.
   -Fleet Admiral of The Ancients Armada

The fear always controls our attitude, let us fear no more!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Originally posted by QXMX:
Aldo, how did you get the LOD 1 to display in the zoom box.  For me, it keeps on displaying LOD2.

I sent you an e-mail on this   - the second LOD (1) is the default for the target view to help speed the framerate.

And I have got some decent shields semi-ready.  I tried segletouch, but it screwed up the collision detection on the resulting pof.  So I've tried making a simple object in blender (roughly the right shape).  Then I load it up in TS5, glue a light as sibling, triangulate and name it 'shield'.  Glue to the main hull model, conmvert and it appears in ModView as the shield  .

Of course, I've still to test it in Freespace2, but it seems to work ok.