Author Topic: Urgent Help Needed  (Read 1611 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I have a major problem with one of my models.  I completed and glued together all the LODs, debris and shield objects (+44-odd turrets,etc).

Hwever, when I converted to pof format, I get an error message (Error 6010: Too many points in poygon (>20)) , and ye olde shards o' death in FRED2.

Now, LOD0 on its own works ok in Freespace (including the shield).  So I'm assuming there is a poly limit for conversion of models.  Firstly, am I right?  Secondly, does anyone know the limit?

Finally, does anyone know if shield objects count towards this?

NB:  Cob2fs2 does not convert, but Kazans does.

Thanks for any help given  

(edit)
Hmm, noticed that Modelview displays 5 LODs (none of which are viewable) when I load up the model - 0 to 5.  So maybe a debris problem.

Also, the total vertex count = 3380, 4509 faces (from 3d Exploration) for all LODs, debris and shield objects.

------------------
Team Member of The Ghost and the Darkness
        [email protected]        

"Why does it always rain on me?
Is it because I lied when I was seventeen?
Even when the sun is shining, I can't avoid the lightning.."

(c)1999 Travis

[This message has been edited by aldo_14 (edited 06-22-2001).]

Offline The Claw

• Run! Chickens Incoming!
That's... quite a lot of polygons...
 The amount you have to be looking at is per sub-object, AFAIK, on which the limit is about 800.

------------------
Chickens? Where? Where BOOM!!
 Folks... we have a very special guest for you tonight... I would likje to introduce:
 MR HORN :-Linkin Park ;)
 Project coordinator of Alternate Reality: The Chickens Cometh and A... errr... team member of The Perfect Storm.
"I love the English for three reasons. One, we always beat you at rugby. Two, your wives are always friendly. Three you fought like devils to save us" Old French bloke at my uncles pub.
"One has plenty of time for contemplation while waiting for the endless waves of bad doggie werewolf monsters that chew your toes while you sleep"-Dradeel, BG2

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Originally posted by The Claw:
That's... quite a lot of polygons...
 The amount you have to be looking at is per sub-object, AFAIK, on which the limit is about 800.

LOD0 - 1800 facess (turreted) - main hull 756
LOD1 - 1200-ish
LOD2 - 300/500 ish
LOD3 - 30-odd
Debris - not sure, 500 total methinks
Shield - 500-ish

LOD0 runs ok with a shield on its own, so I know it can't be that big main hull object.  I'm assuming it's to do with the the toal polys.  I've had higher poly main hulls working.

Possibly could be that i have sub-models on LOD0 and 1.  I fixed a bad name of a debris pices (it was called detail4), but the problems continue.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
you know lods are here to make the processor work easier... so a second lod with 1200 polys is quite nonsense...

------------------
venom2506
Member of the Robotech mod for FS2

and of Hidden Terror, the Shivan campaign
SCREW CANON!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Originally posted by venom2506:
you know lods are here to make the processor work easier... so a second lod with 1200 polys is quite nonsense...

I just do it for completism, really -  the main difference is with the lower 2 LODs.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I think I have it    

Looks like it is something to do with the shared sub-objects - those on both LODs.  For example, i have a turret named turret01a on LOD0, and turret01b on LOD1.  It only converts when I delete turret01b.

So hopefully I can get the naming right.  If not, I'll just have to compromise.  If anyone can tell me where I'm going wrong, pleae post here.  Cheers  

------------------
Team Member of The Ghost and the Darkness
       [email protected]      

"Why does it always rain on me?
Is it because I lied when I was seventeen?
Even when the sun is shining, I can't avoid the lightning.."

(c)1999 Travis