Author Topic: animating objects  (Read 3825 times)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
That's just a copy/past of what I've written on the staff board of my mod, so don't ppay attention to names or others...I could not sleep last night...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...So I went into some brainstorming (which didn't help me to sleep, btw). Ok, I don't want to write a novel, so I'll do it as a list.

ok, you have to assume that I do statements that may be wrong, but for the moment let just say what I was thinking about. I know that things won't work that way...

About atmosphere
That cloudy scene that we already know, well everybody loves it, and I don't want this to be changed (no way!). But what about some improvement? I think that the sky is the place on earth where you can have the bigest ( farest?)sight range. That's not really the case here. So I think of making the maps more transparent. I've already talked of this with max. His Answer? Ok, but we would see the space behind, which is black. There seems to be no way to put this space blue w/o changing the space in all the game (if even it's possible to do so). I thought of another way. In every mission of the original campaign, there are objects layered in this space: planets, nebulaes far away that covers half the darkness, a capella star with a shivan fleet in front of it... Why could we not put big blue squares in the same place? This should need many really big ones I guess (there is probably the problem, but anyway).
That's all for the atmosphere (for now)

Good use of transparency
So, I know there's a way to make transparent colours (invisible in fact). how to use this?
-1 detail improvment on capships. let say we have a cube, mapped as a spaceship. how to improve details on it? the usual way is to lay several cubes or other shapes on it to make it "unflat". No the other way. Let's create another cube, with the same space coordinates than the first one, but slightly bigger (a really small difference). Put the same map on it, but draw loads of green (the transparent colour)lines, squares,..., on it. This should make a nice effect of relief (is that the word?). Right, this should be use carefuly and not anywhere.

-2 Making complex objects with a ridiculous nomber of polys. This is used frequently in many 3d games. You draw the shape on a map, you put the green around it and you map a square. This way you can have a perfect cicle for a radar dish, or a full set of antennas made with only two/four polys (assuming that flat maps doesn't make the game crash, but only shows the map, seen from one side, and nothing seen from the other, you create the exact object at the same place, mirror it and hop, it's done, a flat object that can be seen from each side). This way I can make you a rocket launcher with perfectly round holes (true holes, not black circles), I can make you a complete gatling gun,..., with a minimal number of polys...

-3 THE big part: Making animated objects!
I've seen on the hard light modders forum yesterday a topic about afterburner flames. These obejects are maped with animated maps. Ok. Now assume that you can put these kinds of .ani maps on other objects than afterburner flames (I can't see why we couldn't). Let's take the exemple of, say, a dragon-fly . First we make the model. With the method abobe, we can create a full set of legs with only,well I pointed out 24 polys for 6 articulated legs with natural shape (make it alien with thorns for fun, without any more poly- great isn't it?). Let's assume yhat we only want to aime the wings, for this exemple. No you have to model all the positions youi want the wings to take (much like the legs and arms for the damiens -or max, don't rememer- idea for transforming verytechs). Let's make 5 positions for ach one (from very upper to very down). lets make a side map of it (much prettier). Up or bottom maps can't be used, and front/back should give the wings a unike colour, or strips (ugly, anyway) and let's call it wings.pcx . ok let's export all this to .pof. No animating part... You get it, the model doesn't move, it's the map who does the work. Let's make an .ani map of this: on the firts frame, you delete the 4 wings taht are drown under the upper one, on the second you keep the 2° upper wing, and delete all the others,... No don't gorget to put all the map around the wing in green (transparent). The runing .ani should show a wing that works, shown from the side (dull bec of only 5 frames, but anyway), let's call it flapflap.ani . Now put the .pof and the .ani in thir respective places (where they should work). Now edit the model with an exadecimal editor, Find the wings.pcx and replace it by flapflap.ani .
Well if all the statement above are right, you should have a dragonfly with animated wings in fs2. The map shows only the 3d wing that concur with the current wing shawn by the ani, all others are hidden by the green colour.

Well that's it

-----> So, waht do you all think of my idea?

------------------
venom2506
Member of the Robotech mod for FS2
http://robotechlan.com/freespace2/
SCREW CANON!

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
It kicks *** . This is really stretching the engine to its limits. The idea seems perfect in theory, but we really need to try it and iron out all the tiny bugs (ph33r the bad understanding of the pof format) that appear. But it would rock.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you can't have animated textures on ships, the thrusters  are an exeption.

------------------
Bobboau, bringing you products that work.............. in theory
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nico

• Venom
ok, that was just an idea. well never mind
SCREW CANON!

Bushwacker

Provided we get our hands on the source code, that would quickly change, no doubt.

Other than that, its a good idea.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by Bobboau:
you can't have animated textures on ships, the thrusters  are an exeption.

Couldn't you classify different parts of the ship as thrusters and apply the thruster ani to them..?

Starwing

But, wouldn't these parts vanish when you disable the ship?

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Yes, I suppose so. That would have to be worked around. But what I don't understand is what sets thrusters apart - can't we create another section in the pof with the same properties as the thruster (ie. animated texture is applied), but reference a different texture? Even if we couldn't, we could still use the thruster hack couldn't we?

Offline Nico

• Venom
hehe, brainstorming isn't just for me, after all  

SCREW CANON!

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Nah you're doing fine! Those are really good ideas you have there.  

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yes you could but there are only so many things you can do with it.

------------------
Bobboau, bringing you products that work.............. in theory
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I guess so. We can still dream  

I am very interested in this idea - can someone try this theory out - i dont have the knowledge

Hey bobboau get back on the TBP we've not seen you for ages....test out this theory !

------------------
The Babylon Project 2D Art / Texturing / Model Setup / Experimentation and Implementation

NEWBIE'S GUIDE TO THE VBB:

Enable Beam-free-all.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Originally posted by CptWhite:
I am very interested in this idea - can someone try this theory out - i dont have the knowledge

Hey bobboau get back on the TBP we've not seen you for ages....test out this theory !

I used to be working on a Spitfire (the WW2 version   ).  If I ever get back to it I'll try and use a thruster ani for the propellor blades  .

Offline Snipes

• http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/us
Yeah, it sucks, I was trying to make a ship with flashing red and blue (like police) lights on it, and it worked in mview, but not in fs2...   I was so dissapointed...  

------------------
United Space
Newsie, Modder, Slave to Asta
------------------
"Snipes... Is The Dark Continent."

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Originally posted by Snipes:
Yeah, it sucks, I was trying to make a ship with flashing red and blue (like police) lights on it, and it worked in mview, but not in fs2...   I was so dissapointed...  
]

i think it has something to do with how you scale the texture when you apply it to the model.  I've never made thruster maps myself,so I can't say for sure.

Offline Snipes

Oh, it didn't work because it wasn't a thruster map, it was another map, and FS2 couldn't find it...

------------------
United Space
------------------

Offline Snipes

<----

Hey! They Value me now    

------------------
United Space
------------------

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Originally posted by Snipes:
<----

Hey! They Value me now    

Offline Snipes

Must be all of the usefull spam...err... posts and pimps...err... promotions I used...

------------------
United Space
------------------