Author Topic: Multiple Problems with Models....  (Read 1832 times)

Offline QXMX

Multiple Problems with Models....
I'm having a lot of trouble putting a new ship into the game and getting it to work correctly.  I really need help with this.

1. Putting in Debris:  The debris models go into the game fine, but when it comes time for the explosion, the game crashes.  I did this without debris, and there was no problem.

2. For some reason, LOD2 is displayed in the target zoom window instead of LOD1.  I've tried every combination of gluing and lights that I can think of.

3. The extra lights are throwing a "None" subobject onto the main object.

4. Whenever all of the LODs and Debris were loaded in, the box that surrounds the target doesn't, like in this picture.

Any help would be appreciated, this is a total mess    

------------------
.....File not found....please enter password

Co-Creator, GroundZero
ICQ# 117983680

[This message has been edited by QXMX (edited 06-21-2001).]

Offline Pez

This is maybe not helping you but I think most people don't care if you have a lod2 or lod3. Just as long as you have lod1 and the debris.

Darks models have just lod1 and debris, Bobboau has four or five details in his models. Both ways are fine but I would never play FS2 with the models turned down.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
This caught me out first time, but;

LOD0 is the main hull (unnamed)

LOD1,2,3 are named detail1,detail2,detail3 respectively.  you don't need to have a detail0.

It's very easy to confuse this,so that could cause a problem.

Offline The Claw

• Run! Chickens Incoming!
I had a similar problem while making the Egg, although that was a problem with Anim8or.
 Just out of interest, if you add a turret on the ship, is the bounding box waaaaaayyyy too large?

------------------
Chickens? Where? Where BOOM!!
 Folks... we have a very special guest for you tonight... I would likje to introduce:
 MR HORN :-Linkin Park ;)
 Project coordinator of Alternate Reality: The Chickens Cometh and A... errr... team member of The Perfect Storm.
"I love the English for three reasons. One, we always beat you at rugby. Two, your wives are always friendly. Three you fought like devils to save us" Old French bloke at my uncles pub.
"One has plenty of time for contemplation while waiting for the endless waves of bad doggie werewolf monsters that chew your toes while you sleep"-Dradeel, BG2

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
do you have a light glued to your main hull geometry, that can cause a crash when it blows becase it moves the main hull out of the main level of the higherarcy and it doesn't know where the debris goes to.

------------------
Bobboau, bringing you products that work.............. in theory
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
The target view box is defaulted to LOD2 unless there is none.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline QXMX

Bobboau, there was a light glued there.  I removed it and the explosion went good.  Debris in all.  Thx.  

Phreak, does that only apply to player made ships.  V's ships don't do that.

Claw, are you asking me about the bounding box.  I don't really know how it's defined  

Pez, I took your advice, and made it only 1 LOD it worked out good. Thx.  

Aldo, I thought that it started with LOD1, then LOD2.  Is LOD0 created by default as Lvl 1.

Thanks everyone

------------------
.....File not found....please enter password

Co-Creator, GroundZero
ICQ# 117983680

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Originally posted by QXMX:

Aldo, I thought that it started with LOD1, then LOD2.  Is LOD0 created by default as Lvl 1.

Thanks everyone

Yeah - just look at the LOD numbers at the top of ModView, then -1.  The most detailed level you see in the game is LOD0. (LOD1 is named detail1 in the gluing process, etc)

I think debris is a special case, not an LOD, so it's shunted to the end of the LOD levels.

Also,   s models do use LOD1 (second) for the targeting box - it's just that   made bloody good models, so you can't really notice the difference in such a small box.

[This message has been edited by aldo_14 (edited 06-23-2001).]