Author Topic: fs1 assets in fs2 mod  (Read 1960 times)

Offline pSimon

I'd like to include a few fs1 ships in a fs2 mod; it's set in a backwater, so I'd like to include the Apollo and a few other relics.

What's the simplest way to do this?

You can either copy over the assets from the Port and put them in your mod or you can make multimod with both MediaVPs and FSPort, but that would require users to have both.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline pSimon

Ta.

If I do the latter, do I need to make a table entry in my mod too?

maybe I misread, but the docs imply only one .tbl gets read...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
or you can make multimod with both MediaVPs and FSPort, but that would require users to have both.
Actually, this doesn't work. PSimon is right, only one .tbl gets read, and FSPort doesn't add FS1 ships with modular tables, but overrides them. Thus it would be necessary to extract the needed assets from FSPort and make a separate mod. I once had an "FS1toFS2" mod that didn't override FS2 ships, but that was long ago and it probably doesn't work anymore.

BTW, are we talking about FSO or retail FS2? If it's the latter, this gets significantly more convoluted.

Offline pSimon

FSO.

OK. So I have to do an extraction.

I was *hoping* I could somehow just inherit/import at least the models and textures  using secondarymods somehow...

I did try just copying a table entry, but the model seems to be loaded relative to the module the table's in, and not searched independently. (Or so it looked)

Thanks, all

Oh, right, FSPort doesn't do .tbm because of retail compatibility, my bad
Still,using the .pofs and copy-pasting the table entries from FSport shouldn't be that much work. You'll have to edit the default loadouts though, unless you also include table entries for FS1 weapons in your mod too.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 01:04:32 pm by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: fs1 assets in fs2 mod
FSO.

I was *hoping* I could somehow just inherit/import at least the models and textures  using secondarymods somehow...
You can; if you provide your own ship table, it will override the FSPort's. Perhaps more importantly, you can set your dependency to the FSPort MediaVPs instead of the FSPort itself and then FS2's ship.tbl will still be the one loaded (you'll just need to make sure the FS1 ships you need are in a modular table that will be loaded before the FSPort's MediaVPs' modular tables; TBM files are parsed in reverse alphabetical order, so something that starts with a letter before "f" should work).

I did try just copying a table entry, but the model seems to be loaded relative to the module the table's in, and not searched independently. (Or so it looked)

Thanks, all
This is untrue; FSO doesn't track which folder a table came from and search only that folder for assets (otherwise the MediaVPs wouldn't work at all). Internally, it's kind of* more like all the currently-active mod folders are combined into one super-folder that has all of their contents.

*It's actually not really like that at all, but conceptually, the comparison serves a purpose.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline pSimon

Re: fs1 assets in fs2 mod
FSO.

You can; if you provide your own ship table, it will override the FSPort's. Perhaps more importantly, you can set your dependency to the FSPort MediaVPs instead of the FSPort itself and then FS2's ship.tbl will still be the one loaded (you'll just need to make sure the FS1 ships you need are in a modular table that will be loaded before the FSPort's MediaVPs' modular tables; TBM files are parsed in reverse alphabetical order, so something that starts with a letter before "f" should work).

Thanks, all
This is untrue; FSO doesn't track which folder a table came from and search only that folder for assets (otherwise the MediaVPs wouldn't work at all). Internally, it's kind of* more like all the currently-active mod folders are combined into one super-folder that has all of their contents.

*It's actually not really like that at all, but conceptually, the comparison serves a purpose.

I see.. I must have had stuff loading in the wrong order then. Will have another try when time permits.

Thanks.