Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 592922 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
Fact: Both the KS campaign and the RSI site campaign used the same pitch and the same "sometime 2014" release date promises. No matter where you backed, backers of the original campaign are less valued by CIG than new backers they might convince to throw money their way; if you buy into the game now, you're buying into something very different from the original pitch.

There was a time when there was some genuine anxiety over CIG's failure bringing down the entire idea of crowdfunding huge games. Luckily, CIG has been so inept that any failure to deliver on their part will not call the general mechanism of crowdfunding into question anymore (Now CIG is just a poster boy for bad monetization practices; It's kinda curious to me that they haven't yet started to offer lootcrates)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

They would have certainly passed 4.16 million or whatever even without Kickstarter, it would take them only slightly longer. They would also get similar press coverage. I do believe that in an alternate history without Kickstarter, we would still be looking at ~$180 million pledged right now, maybe minus a handful of $ million. Vast majority of this money was pledged long after the Kickstarter thing was done and forgotten. I just dont see what is so significant about Kickstarter and as far as I remember, it was just a way to enable pledging for the minority of those who could not or did not want to use the official site and was always of secondary importance even during the initial crowdfunding campaign, much less later. Of course all this alternate history stuff is pure speculation and if you want to believe otherwise, be my guest, I can correct some factual errors here and there but cant really positively prove you wrong, lol

I think Kickstarter is significant in another way too, it's significant in that it represents a shift in Chris Robert's thinking.
The original pitch was about raising money to secure additional money from interested investors.  When Roberts started making a ton of money, he forgot about investors (presumably) and just thought about all the money he wasn't getting.  He went on kickstarter despite saying previously that he wouldn't.  And then they opened up funding even after the campaign finished.

So Kickstarter is also significant in that it was at the forefront of a shift in Robert's apparent thinking where, the campaign wasn't raising money to impress investors, but instead just raising all the money from everyone that it could.  And then instead of having 2 million + investors and a limited scope, the scope was suddenly unlimited and years later- still no finished game.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This is obviously good for Star Citizen. Using publically available concept art instead of having artists in-house is just good sense.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Turns out, you can actually try out your Star Citizen JPGs in a video game!  Amazing!

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
This is obviously good for Star Citizen. Using publically available concept art instead of having artists in-house is just good sense.

Quite frankly the first ship they offered out of the box looked like a fugly Vulture to me.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Aesaar

This isn't even the first time CIG has stolen art from other things.  For a while they employed a concept artist whose career was based on it.

Hopefully the paywall is down.

Offline Lorric

The wall is down.

This isn't even the first time CIG has stolen art from other things.  For a while they employed a concept artist whose career was based on it.

Hopefully the paywall is down.

You can't really hold the company responsible for the actions of one of their artists unless the company fails to rectify the problem after it has been brought to light.

It's also worth noting that professional matt painters basically create landscapes through the cutting together and blending of actual photographs.  Now whether popping a head on a photograph is as transformative, is debateable.  This ship above- it's certainly similar but it is also quite different. If I'm not mistaken one of the Vasudan transports even has the same overall design of a body and two extending arms to hold containers.

Offline Aesaar

I'm not terribly willing to give them the benefit of the doubt when they also did this.

That wasn't even the first time (that post links to other instances).  Sure, professional matte painters do use a lot of photographs, but they pay for those photographs or use public domain ones.  They don't just steal them.  That ****'s unacceptable for a multi-million dollar company.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 12:54:46 am by Aesaar »

Probably doxxing Derek Smart is the only solution, as well as to threaten him with lawyers that will close his company.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well, apparently Derek Smart has been planting artists in the company to deliberately sabotage the game.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Many built it up, few tear it down.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
You do realize the EVE tweet is a joke, the ship is merely similar shape, not identical, and there is no evidence of any stealing here, right?
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Jokes are good for starcitizen.

Starcitizen is a joke, therefore good.
Urutorahappī!!

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
It uses Matthew mcaaigjannenney to sell space racers.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Some interesting ideas here:

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
The whale fracking part is golden (the rest of the video rings true too)
Urutorahappī!!

The whale fracking part is golden (the rest of the video rings true too)

Has a few other videos, one on JPEG starships as well:

Though overall needs some more videos to flesh out his ideas.
Apparently this guy was one of the super backers and then got out.

He wasn't just a superbacker, he's some sort of super-rich Texas oil baron who outright invested tens of thousands into CIG very early on. He pulled out a few years ago after doing some digging at CIG and concluding it was being run by incompetent assholes.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.