Author Topic: HUD Bug, Mission Ending  (Read 4703 times)

Offline An0n3

HUD Bug, Mission Ending
After playing a few co-op scenarios and an extended dogfight with a few friends there were a few minor problems we noticed amidst the otherwise awesome experience.

1)  Sometimes some of us would start without a HUD, over the course of playing a few games we eventually all had this problem.  It appears like you have to restart the game to correct it.  My best guess is it has something to do with observing, and the observer HUD getting stuck on the player carrying over to the next game.

2) After playing in a grand free-for-all dogfight we wanted to exit and look at the post-mission scores and such to see who came out on top.  As the host, trying to end the mission didn't seem to work and ultimately I just had to quit the game to end the match for everyone (and no scores!).  This seems like an issue in FOS more than Diaspora but having some kind of solution would do a lot for our dueling pride.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: HUD Bug, Mission Ending
Try hitting shift-O when you have no hud.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
In the few test dogfights I've run in FSO, I recall that the host had to jump out to end the mission, which doesn't really make sense for Diaspora Vipers :)  If you have a chance, could you check to see if the mission ends properly when the host presses Alt-J?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline bunik

Just run any singleplayer mission - see the HUD is OK, then run multi! :)

Offline An0n3

I tried both jumping and toggling the HUD during the session and neither worked.  It seemed like once a person dies during a mission and observes, there's a tendency for the game to get locked in the observer HUD.  Trying to toggle it back on was my first instinct and it didn't work.

I could jump out as normal during other co-op missions but while flying the dogfight scenario that's included with the installer I was unable to.  It could just be something particular to the way that mission is put together.

EDIT:  Oh and one other thing I only just noticed from screenshots someone was sharing with the group:  for some reason the analog ammunition counter appears twice on the HUD.  Once beside the targeting area and then again overlapping it but offset just slightly to the right and down.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 07:39:05 pm by An0n3 »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Haha - that looks like 3 bugs for the price of one :)

Could you please post a bit more information?
1) the version of Diaspora you were using?
2) the name of the dogfight mission you were playing? (I'd guess Asteroid, not "No Frills", but I'd like to confirm that)
3) the resolution the of person with the double analog ammo counter?

I can then add something to our bugtracker, or offer more advice.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
When you were playing the mission, were you playing on a standalone server by any chance? Cause the key-pressed SEXP won't work there (I'll have to check how we FREDded those missions.)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline An0n3

1) 1.1.1
2) Asteroid, yeah
3) 1920 x 1080.  That picture is from the dogfight training module but I've experienced that bug myself in other scenarios and in the campaign as well.  I also use 1920 x 1080 with 32-bit textures.

RE: Karajorma, standalone server?  I was hosting on my computer while also playing, directly through the game and not via dedicated servers.  One instance of the game client as host playing in game.

Is it better to run a dedicated server and then connect to it through a second instance of the game if I'm doing it all on a single computer?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I don't think running the standalone on the same PC would necessarily improve matters any and you might get some errors with TCP/IP if you do, so I'd advise sticking to the way you're doing it now.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]