Author Topic: ship type question  (Read 2002 times)

Ok, first of all.
Wow! great work all you that have put this together. Luckily i have friends with broadband that make it possible for me to dl this conversion :)

somewhere on this board i found a vorlon/shadow dl where the shadow ships were made as "supercaps" and flew rather porly compared to my vision in the game. So i promptly changed them to bombers and got the nice, rather uncanny feel that i recognised in the series. (had to remove the "big ships" flag for their weapons as well).

So basically my longwinded question is: Are the ship type flags only there to mimic a certain way of movement or do they have any other use?

*mjau*?
cats are nice... and they have big pointy teeth

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Bomber AI may make them more aggressive in their attack methods, but then they won't be targetted by cap-ship weapons, which is the only thing that should take them down properly.  I'm guessing that the Shadow vessels are ones that would also benefit from Gunship AI, or perhaps the half-assed method I proposed in the SCP forum.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
I always thought the shadow vessels were fast enough, but they lacked the turning speed.

You can already do this by reducing the (rotation time) in the ship tbl, this way you can keep the capship flag :D
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Yeah, I have to admit, if there's one thing that feels differant is that the battls seem some slow compared to the TV series, this mainly applies to the Vorlon/Shadow/Whitestar vessels that move really fast.

thats true WL. the capships can't target it as a bomber. I guess i'll go back to supercap and try lowering the  turning speed.

I'm just lazy as a fredder i think:) guess it can be done with more waypoints instead.

Hmm, gunship ai?
has that been implemented in FSO?

anyway, thanks for the answers.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 04:44:27 am by 2550 »

Offline Roanoke

Originally posted by Azrael15
Yeah, I have to admit, if there's one thing that feels differant is that the battls seem some slow compared to the TV series, this mainly applies to the Vorlon/Shadow/Whitestar vessels that move really fast.

but Whitestars dpn't behave as they should with bomber AI.

Originally posted by bambii the cat
Hmm, gunship ai?
has that been implemented in FSO?

not as yet

true roanorke

they should also have another type of ai. In the game they were usually speeding back and forth over the battlefield in hit and run tactics.

Btw, just a idea over the ws's beam.
If the two primarys was converted to turrets. Or maybe they were one primary with alternating fire as i read somewhere that fso now can do (the "cycle" flag) i think.

So they were on "one of the primarys",  then the beam could be a primary as well and have a rearm rate and a high energy consumtion.
 This way you could as in the game sorta focus energy towards the beam as they could do in the serie.
basically putting all energy to guns, that way the beam could have energy for more seconds, since it stops as the energy is gone.

like lifetime 10
energy consumption 10,
then with max gun energy and all batteries towards guns it could hold for 6 seconds maybe against normally 2-3 seconds b4 the energy is gone.

Or maybe it could be done with the new implement in the cvs with 3 primaries. I did it for the ancients beam-fighter and it worked as a charm.

anyway. just an idea.... if anyone understood it:p
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 03:32:44 pm by 2550 »