Author Topic: General video question - refresh rates  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Chagi

General video question - refresh rates
Hello,

I'm brand new to the Freespace 2 scene, starting out with The Babylon Project for a few reasons (such as the fact that the show was a huge favorite of mine back in the day).

TBP seems to default me to very low refresh rates (60Hz), an issue that I haven't run into in a long time. I use XP, and I remember having to use various refresh rate override tools with Windows 2000 in order to run at my preferred refresh rate of 85Hz (yes, I'm still using a CRT monitor hehe). Should add that I'm running the game at 1024 x 768, same thing happens at 640 x 480.

So, the short version of the above - is there any way to control refresh rates when using FS2 Open?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 04:40:49 am by Chagi »

Re: General video question - refresh rates
I am no expert but I thought refresh rates were related to what was native for your monitor.  What are the specs of your computer?  I am also using a CRT, my native settings for are 1024 x 768 at 75 hz and runs smooth as silk.

Offline mr.WHO

1) Right click on desktop -->screen where you change resolution --> go to Monitor or Graphic Cart screen and change 60HZ or auto set to what you want. Save.

if this wont help

2) Go to you graphic cart control aplication (it should be among those icons in bottom right corner of you desktop screen). Find refres rate, disable auto set and set what you want manually.

It should help, I had a same problem long ago.

Offline Chagi

Thanks for the responses. I'm about to try out ShivanSPS's torrent pack for Freespace 2 and see if I get the same results regarding refresh rates. I highly suspect that this is just a config setting that is included somewhere in the TBP files (it isn't covered in the launcher). Is there a config file in TBP other than the launcher which contains graphic settings?

I should mention that my default Windows resolution is 1024 x 768 @ 85Hz, I'm running Windows XP Home, and my graphics card is a GeForce 6600GT AGP with latest Nvidia drivers. As soon as I launch TBP, it drops me down to 59Hz. I don't experience this refresh rate issue with any of the games that I currently play (e.g. Battlefield 2, AOE 3, etc.), so I strongly suspect that TBP is forcing me to 59Hz for some reason (which I wouldn't have even noticed on an LCD display).

Offline Chagi

Update - I've experimented with the launcher a bit, and it looks like this issue is only occuring when using OpenGL, refresh rate stay at 85Hz when I choose Direct3D mode. I've read on these forums that OpenGL is generally much more preferable than Direct3D when running this game, so I'm going to do some digging to see what I need to do in order to force higher refresh rates for OpenGL...

Offline Chagi

Okay, I was able to fix this issue by downloading Powerstrip, which in turn forces apps to particular default refresh rates (in my case 85Hz). Haven't had to use this type of approach since I started using Windows XP a few months ago, so it must be an issue that is specific to OpenGL. Problem solved. :)