Author Topic: Integration into existing Freespace SCP installation -is it possible?  (Read 1845 times)

Integration into existing Freespace SCP installation -is it possible?
Well, the question is pretty simple: I have a working Freespace SCP installation using the latest mediavps, build and so forth.

Now I'd like to take a look at the Babylon conversion but it seems awfully pointless to setup another independent Freespace 2 installation while all the large default VPs ("sparky_hi_fs2.vp" etc.) are already there. I have a fairly smallish harddisk :(

So, is it theoretically possible to add just the Babylon project exclusive content (base VP etc.) to the mix and use it as a "normal" Mod?

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: Integration into existing Freespace SCP installation -is it possible?
Yes... Just dont use mediavps with it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Alright, I have it working so far but I get the infamous "black boxes around effects"-error. I am playing with a recent build via extracting and renaming the table file as suggested somewhere else. Could that be the problem?

Offline Shade

It is likely that the TBP media has not yet been upgraded to match the requirements of later builds, hence the black boxes. I'd suggest just keeping a fully TBP compatible build around and pick that from the launcher when you play it.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

It is likely that the TBP media has not yet been upgraded to match the requirements of later builds, hence the black boxes. I'd suggest just keeping a fully TBP compatible build around and pick that from the launcher when you play it.

Have you got any particular recommendation regarding the build? There's quite a lot of them included in the 3.3a update.

One other thing: Are the triangular ships supposed to be that fast? It's very hard to hit them.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 04:26:39 pm by Chris B. Yond »

Offline -Norbert-

I don't know what exe files you have, but with 3.67 it should run without a problem.
I'm currently running with a file named "fs2_open_Red_2005-12-22_r.exe", but I'm pretty sure I got it from somewhere in the forum rather than with the package.
And the Zephyr (the triangular Raider ships) rather fast. But the problem with hitting them is rather that they are so flat. Try to get them from above or below.