Author Topic: New music coming your way soon!  (Read 128304 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: New music coming your way soon!
I don't know much about those formats, but you could just post a short clip of the same thing in both formats and see if anyone can notice the difference.

Hopefully we can still get M10. That was probably overall my favorite track in FS1. Do you have M3?

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
I do have M3, will post as soon as I have time.  I've got everything for missions 1-6, arrival cues and all.  I just got to get around to making my list of stuff that I'm missing. 

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Have you got Aquitaine.wav out already. Tis the best after all :nod:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
Old or new?   ;7

Uploading now - check out the fs2betamainhall track, according to IceFire, it was used in the Multiplayer Beta version of FS2, a completely different mainhall track.  If they're not there, check again in a few minutes.  CP5670, I'll get to M3, I've gotta make a mix for it, like I did for M1. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 06:40:53 am by Nix »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Ummm, both :p
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
check out the fs2betamainhall track, according to IceFire, it was used in the Multiplayer Beta version of FS2, a completely different mainhall track.
:eek2: Why wasn't that used in the main game? It's awesome!
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Wow, that sounds completely different. Although I can see why they changed it; it doesn't really fit in with the style of the other tracks. It actually sounds like a mix of the Doom 3 intro and some of the SS2 tracks, or maybe more like the Unreal music. I know I've heard stuff quite similar to it somewhere else.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 04:47:58 pm by CP5670 »

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
WOW That's is bloody gorgeous!
I wish that had at least been put in the VP.

Amazing how even after all this time my favourite game never ceases to amaze me...

The Beta main hall track is seemingly (to my ears anyway) a medley of tracks from FS1. I'm recognizing some of the FS1 briefing musics in it, along with the original FS1 title theme. It sounds like what the FS2 mainhall and all other tracks *would* have sounded like, had Dan Wentz elected to keep the exact same musical "feel" of FS1's music in FS2.

I assume that neither soundtrack (FS1 or FS2) were done with a real orchestra, and that they are both computer synthesized using sound samples:

Dan Wentz seems to have had a DRASTIC change in the sound samples he used to compose these things between FS1 and FS2. It's a shame we may never hear the FS1 tracks with the instruments that were used in the FS2 tracks. That would be awesome, to hear the FS1 mainhall using the same "sounds" (drums, etc) as the FS2 Aquitaine one. :D

Somehow, the FS2 Beta mainhall reminds me of the Deus Ex theme...do we have a definitive "name"/"title" (eg, Aquitaine, Monolith) for the Beta main hall?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 12:24:40 pm by Gregster2k »

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
The title name was "main1.wav" so I think it might have been the first track ever created for FS2.  The filename for the Aquitaine track was "title_new.wav". 

So.. speculate at will, but I think that it just wouldn't fit.  It'll be in there as an easter egg, but it won't be a new mainhall track. 

It's a shame we may never hear the FS1 tracks with the instruments that were used in the FS2 tracks.
Hmm...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 07:25:20 pm by Nix »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Somehow, the FS2 Beta mainhall reminds me of the Deus Ex theme...
That's it! They're very different of course, but I knew that, stylistically, it reminded me of something. That's most certainly it.

And yes, you can definately hear parts of the FS1 mainhall in it.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

It's creepier, though. It clearly has the feel of ..."THE SHIVANS...ARE BACK. AND THEY ARE BIGGER. AND BADDER." The Doom 3 feeling is definitely caused by the first instruments used in the piece. It is absolutely beautiful. It gave me goosebumps to listen to it.

I get goosebumps every time I watch the FS1 intro movie, actually.

*shudder* Me too. That pilot... he really looks scared out of his mind... I haven't seen too many other character models able to do that so well.

Reading the FSreferenceBible, and looking at the initial plans for the cutscenes... I feel like we missed out, to tell the truth. For instance, there was going to be a cutscene depicting the Lucifer annihilating Tombaugh, complete with a red subspace vortex and Shivan shock troops flying through space to attack the station... Really too bad they didn't put that in after all... :blah:

Wonder what it's music would have been like?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Wonder what it's music would have been like?

Something hair-raising, that's for sure.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
It'll be in there as an easter egg, but it won't be a new mainhall track.

What the hell... Give it to Woomeister, I think it would be rather good mainhall music for Inferno. ;7

That, of course, is up to Inferno staff to decide, but IMHO the general feeling I get from that beta mainhall track would fit Inferno extremely well. Perhaps that is because the atmosphere of Inferno was always closer to FS1 in my opinion than FS2.

What do you think?
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Now that I listen to it again, it does have that "Inferno" feeling (reinforced further by the part that sounds like Doom 3; the beginning of the track) Either that, or BlackWater Operations, but that's just a wild guess as I have no idea about whether it'd fit BWO's content or not. Inferno, however, is a definitive yes (at least, when you consider what Inferno R1's mainhall track was). The problem is, the mainhall track ought to fit the rest of the musical score, so if any campaign uses the FS2 Beta track for its mainhall, they better have at least SOMEWHAT similar music for ingame, or the mainhall will sound out of place. =b

This track is so good, it could actually be a command briefing music for a mission, too --- not just a main hall...Hmmm...FS2 Beta Mainhall track is to FS1 what Cinema is to FS2?

I'm applauding this project overall; I'm looking forward to the FS1 tracks more than the FS2 tracks, as the FS1 tracks were in such bad quality originally, and I loved their feel a lot more. =)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 02:58:51 pm by Gregster2k »

Blimey!

I've never thought this was possible.. to recover the old-new lossless musics of FS & FS2. Congratulations! Don't know if you have the resources to convert the musics in FLAC and upload them somewhere... I'd very happy if you could manage it, but that would be an extra gift, the proposal you did it's more than enough, so if you don't have time for it, never mind. If it's being discussed recently, excuse me, I'm a newb here.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Welcome to the HLP and stuff, Zoli.

Nix, do you have FS2's Numbers and Joshua battle tracks in that magical high-quality music box of yours?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah. I'd love to hear Numbers but Joshua is the best of the FS2 battle tracks :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
Doubt he's been beamed yet...

My first beam.. hmm..  As for the welcome speech I'll leave that to someone else.

Uploaded Joshua (which was named Exodus too.. odd..) and Numbers.  Currently uploading M3 FS1 mix as I type.  It will be available shortly!
Also, I'm uploading in FLAC's now, which seems to be a little bigger on the size, but the quality is better. 

As far as the beta mainhall track, IceFire already asked me for it, I don't know if he's using it for BWO, or a project of his own, or just really wanted it to listen to.  So, I'll ask him to make sure both projects wont use the same mainhall track. 

Here's another suggestion for another mainhall track that I've never heard before, a track called "Waiting" which I dont know ever made it into either FS1 or 2.  It was in both the Freespace 1 and 2 source collections, so I bet it's one of those lonely tracks that never saw the light of day... untill now!