Author Topic: Reworked Ganymede  (Read 15975 times)

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
Good to see progress on the model, quite a nice piece work that station is, can't wait to see it finished c:
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

:jaw:

Such awesomeness :eek:

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
:jaw:

Such awesomeness :eek:

Seconded. This is just the same Ganymede we all know and love, right? It doesn't need a new write-up as a variant of the original Ganymede?
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Great, time to ram some drones into this :p

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Hot damn that looks cool.

Offline Axem

Seconded. This is just the same Ganymede we all know and love, right? It doesn't need a new write-up as a variant of the original Ganymede?

This is just your old Ganymede, just rebuilt to modern standards. It'll be a drop-in replacement.

Great, time to ram some drones into this :p

No. :mad:

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Now I wish we had side-by-side screenshots of the original and the new model so as to compare and contrast.

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
Great screenshots! I approve c:
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Dang that looks sick! Love that industrial, functional look. :yes:

(You know what would be awesome? Those light panels actually casting a glow on that Hecate :nervous: - yes ok 'll shut up now...)

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
I'm looking at the new Ganymede in FRED right now and it has its dockpoints on the end of each of the four center-width spurs, rather than between the 4 length-side double prongs, which is where I was hoping the 5 dockpoints to be since I thought it would look cooler for that.

But trying to fit 4 capital ships lengthwise alongside what could be as large as a Hecate destroyer in the center of the Ganymede would probably be problematic... :nervous:

EDIT: Keep in mind that I don't remember how to use FRED so I'm barely able to look around at this new model. I haven't even figured out how to add new ships yet! Which means I can't even test out these dockpoints yet... :(
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 03:39:36 pm by Su-tehp »

The Order of the Stick

Do you mean in table or in FRED?

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Do you mean in table or in FRED?

In FRED2, that's what I'm using to look at it. I clicked "Show Model Dock Points" and the green dots showed up at the ends of the four center-width spurs. But after reading your message, I clicked on "Show Model Paths" and now I see several straight red lines, some of which lead to the dock points and several which...don't. Not that i know what those red lines mean.  :wtf: :p

The Order of the Stick

Those are the paths that a fighter will follow if you give them the order to attack that subsystem.

Offline Axem

The retail model just had a single dockpoint along a spur, I added 3 more for funsies.

And I don't think it would make sense to have a dockpoint on the double prongs. Aside from the obvious lack of geometry and texture, I envisioned the double prongs to be something like a gantry, for robotic arms to travel along and do stuff like replace armor plating and other large things. The ship being repaired or constructed would always be freestanding from the station. You can kind of see a track for the prongs to travel up and down, and the whole assembly could rotate around so it could service from any direction. But you're free to add your own dockpoints if you like!

And as to how a Hecate could fit inside... I've thought of the Ganymede as modular, so its four pieces could come apart and be installed like a collar around the large capital ships.

*twitch twitch*
Urge to replay FS2 intensifies.
And I just did that!

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
The retail model just had a single dockpoint along a spur, I added 3 more for funsies.

A wise decision; I approve, especially since the Ganymede's write-up says that it's capable of repairing five ships at once, so :v: dropped the ball by giving it only a single dockpoint. (But then, that's not :v:'s only oversight by a wide margin...) :( :blah: :sigh:

And I don't think it would make sense to have a dockpoint on the double prongs. Aside from the obvious lack of geometry and texture, I envisioned the double prongs to be something like a gantry, for robotic arms to travel along and do stuff like replace armor plating and other large things. The ship being repaired or constructed would always be freestanding from the station. You can kind of see a track for the prongs to travel up and down, and the whole assembly could rotate around so it could service from any direction. But you're free to add your own dockpoints if you like!

Oh, they're essentially giant robot arms? They looked to me more like giant gantry vise/clamps that would extend or retract as needed to clamp down and secure ships that needed to be repaired. Of course, there would be no way to actually animate those arms, never mind find a way to get dockpoints in those locations to function correctly. But now at least they look cool.  :cool: :D

And as to how a Hecate could fit inside... I've thought of the Ganymede as modular, so its four pieces could come apart and be installed like a collar around the large capital ships.

This actually makes a great deal of sense for ships that are larger than the Ganymede's inner circumference: because once those ships were completed, there would be no way to get rid of what would essentially become an unremovable starship dog collar. :eek2: :nervous: :wtf:

The Order of the Stick

*twitch twitch*
Urge to replay FS2 intensifies.
And I just did that!

But did you find a Ganymede there?

A wise decision; I approve, especially since the Ganymede's write-up says that it's capable of repairing five ships at once, so :v: dropped the ball by giving it only a single dockpoint. (But then, that's not :v:'s only oversight by a wide margin...) :( :blah: :sigh:

Now you can make fancy mass-docking Ganymedes. :D

Offline Axem

Oh, they're essentially giant robot arms? They looked to me more like giant gantry vise/clamps that would extend or retract as needed to clamp down and secure ships that needed to be repaired. Of course, there would be no way to actually animate those arms, never mind find a way to get dockpoints in those locations to function correctly. But now at least they look cool.  :cool: :D

That's what I mean. The prongs are like a gantry and these robot arms would attach to that smaller metal beams inside them. There's just no arms there now because of lack of any real animation support for them.