Author Topic: Raider Carrier an observation  (Read 2924 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Raider Carrier an observation
Seems like I've been running a lot of pirate missions lately and I just happened to notice that the Raider Carrier seems somewhat illogical.  I know it's canon that the fighter docking rings spin like they do but why?  Logic would dictate that the rings would need to be stationary for docking and the main body of the ship rotate to produce gravity. 

Thoughts? 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline -Norbert-

Re: Raider Carrier an observation
Considering that in the only scene we ever saw within a Raider Carrier they had gravity, I'd say the rotating rings also contain the crew quaters and the big non-rotating sections only contain machinery and storage rooms. Being a pirate ship it would make sense to have lots of space for the bounty.

But considering how Babylon 5 starts it's fighters, I'd say the Zephyrs shouldn't start straight ahead, but rather go away from the center of the ship diagonally (momentum from the rotation plus engine power of the fighter).

And they probably have to temporarily stop the rotation to dock the fighters...

But your right, while parts of the ship make sense, overall it's a very inefficient design. Which probably fits the rag-tag feel of the raiders in the opinion of it's creators.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Seems like I've been running a lot of pirate missions lately

curious. Why could that be?  :confused: :confused: :confused:

The RaiderCarrier is simply wrong designed from a physical accurate viewpoint but it's a great design.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

I don't think the carrier spins fast enough to produce gravity anyway.

Offline VERTi60

• I have faith
    • NetStorm HQ
I guess it was made that way so the zephyrs have better and quicker launch. They never considered docking after battles anyway, the carrier just simly jump out with flying fighters along. They docked once the carrier got docked too.

Starfuries were also launched from Babylon 5's rotating section, which according to producers of the show, was designed to improve the launching sequence and minimizing the need of a bigger trust in order to take off from the station.
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed...
...it became something greater: Our last best hope for victory.

-watch or download The Babylon Project: Raider Wars the Movie-

-recorded TBP missions & campaigns-

-Freespace Portal SK-

-NetStorm: Islands at War, free online RTS game-

I guess it was made that way so the zephyrs have better and quicker launch. They never considered docking after battles anyway, the carrier just simly jump out with flying fighters along. They docked once the carrier got docked too.

Starfuries were also launched from Babylon 5's rotating section, which according to producers of the show, was designed to improve the launching sequence and minimizing the need of a bigger trust in order to take off from the station.

It's interesting that original Star Furies were also going to launch from the Omega Destroyer's rotating section. But this was changed later on. Apparently you can still sort of see the launch doors in the design though I've not looked myself.