Author Topic: Dragon Age: Inquisition  (Read 16158 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition
Took me approximately 120 hours to finish single player campaign of DAI. I enjoyed the game from beginning to end and I think that's good enough since my expectations were really high well before I even got a chance to fire the game up.

To commemorate finishing the campaign, here's last batch of screenshots.

Dat left eye.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
I'm getting ****ty performance on high and ultra on a 970. What are you using?
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Luis Dias

Yep, it's pretty obvious now looking at those screenshots that DAI is really awful looking. Ghastly, ghastly graphics.

Wait I now remember, I get warnings for being sarcastic. Oh ****, wait, **** I didn't meant that! I take it BAAAAAA

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I'm getting ****ty performance on high and ultra on a 970. What are you using?
No performance problems at all. Running butter smooth on my 970 and i7 with everything maxed out, except MSAA at 2x.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 06:01:08 am by Fury »

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
Arrrrrgh. I get about 30 fps on any setting in Redcliffe itself with the same specs (I play at 1920x1080). Can usually get 45-60 on high outside the hinterlands. And this is with MSAA off. Tried killing my firewall/av, driver wipe and reinstall, tried the no origin overlay fix, no effect. I'm going to redownload and install and see if that does anything.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 01:45:17 pm by Mr. Vega »
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
In DAI benchmark my lowest fps is about 39 and average fps about 49. In actual gameplay I don't have any performance issues or stuttering and I don't know what my fps during actual gameplay is. The only exceptions to this are cutscenes and oculariums, the latter ones being especially dreadful.

45-60 sounds perfectly fine. Why is this a problem?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I also want to know. I find 20 FPS perfectly playable in most situations, even though I don't get FPS that low anymore. I can't imagine calling 45-60 FPS "****ty performance", Mr. Vega.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Luis Dias

Some people are very determined about having the 60 fps performance out of their games, some don't, I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask of a game when you have a top of the line machine. I think that if games stepped up to that kind of standard that would be great.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
In DAI benchmark my lowest fps is about 39 and average fps about 49. In actual gameplay I don't have any performance issues or stuttering and I don't know what my fps during actual gameplay is. The only exceptions to this are cutscenes and oculariums, the latter ones being especially dreadful.

1. I spent $350 on a card specifically to get 60 fps in this game (and eventually, The Witcher 3). It would be kinda disappointing if I couldn't manage that.
2. I've seen people report smooth performance at high or above on similar specs.
3. There are certain places where I can't get above 30 fps on any setting. That screams poor optimization or some other issue.
4. I am also getting occasional stuttering in cutscenes even after the suggested tinkering.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 08:15:27 pm by Mr. Vega »
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
3. There are certain places where I can't get above 30 fps on any setting. That screams poor optimization or some other issue.
That screams "CPU-limited" to me. What's your processor?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
Core i7 3770. I'm a wee bit skeptical of that possibility.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 10:13:18 pm by Mr. Vega »
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

Have you checked whether the game is actually using it, though?

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
Using it? You mean the GPU? Or do you want me to check the application's CPU usage?
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The latter.  It might be limiting itself to some arbitrary low performance for... whatever reason.

Not likely, but not impossible.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Funny, I have 3770 too.

But yeah, looking at DAI tech support forum plenty of people are having performance issues. Though in Vega's case I could hardly call 45-60 fps a problem. Even though I "only" get min 39, average 49 in the benchmark, I can still call that smooth because really, I don't notice any performance issues.

Do yourself a favor and turn off fraps or whatever app you are using to monitor your fps during normal gameplay and enjoy the game instead of obsessing over some arbitrary number. If you actually have observable performance issues, then that's another matter.

Stuttering in cutscenes as well as moving around in oculariums is because they are capped to 30fps and no amount of tinkering will fix those. As a matter of fact, trying to fix cutscenes with the custom command line option WILL lead to other issues, so you shouldn't use the custom command line "fix".

I'm sure Bioware will fix a lot of issues given time, but I don't think it will happen this month what with Christmas, new year and stuff.

Offline Veers

Just finished my play through..., just over 100 hours since the 20/11 (Aus release). Yea, that was definitely good. Very happy overall.

Spoiler:
Took me until the Haven attack to really get into it, but once that occurred.. the story line really had be hooked. I got rather comfortable with the gameplay at that stage as well.

Some nice twists and turns, interesting quests, some more 'tedious' quests but didn't bother me that much. Although I collected all the shards shy 10 of them, but couldn't find remaining 10 anywhere. Oh well.

Loved the view from just about any location, but Skyhold was just great.

Specs: i7-2600k @ 4.2Ghz, AMD 6970OC2 (factory), 8GB 1866Mhz G.Skill RAM, SSD 120GB (OS) & 2TB WD Black Data/Game drive.

DA:I - I had it running at mostly max levels, the AMD Gaming thingy 'optimised' it to more Medium settings, but still didn't bother me either way.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 03:36:36 am by Veers »
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
Just installed the new beta drivers. FPS in Redcliffe just jumped from 30 to 50 fps. I'm getting over 60 fps everywhere else. **** yes!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:26:40 pm by Mr. Vega »
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Yep, it's pretty obvious now looking at those screenshots that DAI is really awful looking.

Honestly, yeah, kind of. I feel a bit like I'm watching an old King's Quest game and the characters are standing in front of a matte painting or a green screen. There's something weird about depth going on in a lot of the pictures Fury posted, but not all. I have no idea if that's simply something about how he took the shots, though.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I have just discovered that my 7-year old computer has finally met a game it cannot run  - DA:I.  Quad core required.  Guess this is going to wait until Windows 10 arrives and I buy a new gaming system, since a mobo+proc+memory replacement is likely prohibitively expensive versus a completer system replacement, which is frankly due now anyway.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]