Author Topic: How to build a guitar in many, many easy steps*  (Read 54093 times)

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
How to build a guitar in many, many easy steps*
Originally posted by Maeglamor

[color=66ff00]
I advised him to lacquer it a clear satin finish, lacquer is harder and more resisilent than varnish.
[/color]

that's true, but you gathered what i meant.  satin's pretty good, not overly shiny, so you don't have to polish fingermarks off it all the time :p
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Actually I'd spray it satin simply because I like the feel more, same with the neck. Satin doesn't have that gammy, slick feeling to it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 09:26:23 am by Maeglamor »

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Originally posted by Maeglamor
[color=66ff00]Actually I'd spray it satin simply because I like the feel more, same with the neck. Satin doesn't have that gammy, slick feeling to it.
[/color]

that too.:nod:
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Rictor
*applause*

The most complex thing I've ever built was a mini trebuchet-type-thing, and that wasn't even mostly me. So, needless to say, excellent work. Is it just me, or is the guitar somewhat shorter than standard?
Sorry Rictor, I was looking over this thread again and I noticed that I had not addressed your question.

The scale length of the guitar is fairly standard if I remember correctly, perhaps it is the perspective of the photos that suggest shortness.
The scale length is the distance from the nut to the bridge, the shorter it is, the closer the frets are together and to a point the easier the guitar is to play. The tradeoff is sustain though; since the string is physically shorter it cannot vibrate for the same period. Gibson guitars generally have shorter scale lengths that Fender guitars but you're talking about 2 centimeters roughly, it makes a difference when your hands are small.

I finish my exams next tuesday afternoon so with a little luck I might be able to have the guitar in fully playable shape by wednesday afternoon, if so I will soonafter get my friends to record a few bits and pieces, two of them are exceptionally skilled players.
I mostly play fingerpicked tunes though I'm partial to Thin Lizzy and Deep Purple too so I might play a little bit as well.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 09:26:53 am by Maeglamor »

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
*goes off to play something*

my guitar:

the only difference is that mine has a stop tailpiece instead of a string-thru and there are dots on frets 3,5,7,9,12,15,17,19,21,24

unfortunately for me, i can't do all that many flashy solos right now.  i'm looking into "The Unforgiven 1"(Metallica) or "A Question of Heaven" (Iced Earth).  I was going to try to record Seasons in the Abyss by Slayer, but i have a fixed bridge and Kerry King's solo makes liberal use of the whammy bar, not to mention its a bit fast.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 07:59:14 pm by 31 »
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Almost 99% of Slayer songs make extensive usage of the whammy bar.

Nice work, Maeg. I prefer an ESP MII but if that one doesn´t exist, I may as well have bought yours ;)

Offline RedgeTester

• Banned
Dumbass.
"Redge ain't the spy...." ---- Columbo
Got proxy?

Personally, I´d use a "!" instead of a "." , but hey, that´s your decision :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 01:57:07 pm by 802 »

Offline delta_7890

• Your Node Is Mine
Holy crap.  I read two pages before I checked the date and realized how old this thread is.  Oo;
~Delta

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by delta_7890
Holy crap.  I read two pages before I checked the date and realized how old this thread is.  Oo;

Probably was on the ' ONE YEAR AGO, ON HLP ' bit on the mainpage.

Actually it was and is in Maeg´s sig.

Offline RedgeTester

• Banned
Originally posted by Slanker_MT
Personally, I´d use a "!" instead of a "." , but hey, that´s your decision :)

An exclamation mark would've indicated that I was annoyed or attempting to display a level of sharpness in the expression of the word - which it was not my intention to do.

By using a simple full-stop (or 'period') it gives a sense of the intended target - you, in this case - being beneath the level of importance whereby your actions would be worth becoming annoyed over.

It's not: "Oh God, you're such ****ing dumbass! I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!"

It's: "You're a dumbass to such an extent that it's not even worth my time to bother elaborating upon that determination."

Also, by not using the exclamation mark it gives no indication of emotion being present in my assesment of you and implies that 'dumbass' is simply a statement of fact, not an opinion.
"Redge ain't the spy...." ---- Columbo
Got proxy?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, guys, enough elaborating how much disregard we have for each other. Mega-bump or not, 'tis still a darned good thread. Matter of fact, I just showed a friend of mine this very thread not one week ago. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill