Author Topic: It's Time – An Open Letter to the Hard Light Productions Community  (Read 15491 times)

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Re: It's Time – An Open Letter to the Hard Light Productions Community
This community needs to once again rally around a common cause:  :v: for FS3.

Nah, I'm good. I like where things are at now. The lack of closure to FS's storyline was very likely a large catalyst that has played a role in the number of creative projects this community has seen. And now, instead of one vision for post Capella, we have many.. and it's awesome. Means even more FS gameplay. Who cares if it's "canon", it's fun to play.

+1 to this.

That said, if anyone produced a modern-engined spiritual successor to FS2, it would make my day. No real need for it to involve the Freespace IP at all though.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, at this point, I'd quite happily settle for any random high-quality space sim that follows the FS/Wing Commander vein.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
If you say it's time to get FS3 on the shelves, then I say it's time that you go about changing US copywrite law first. That's where the real fight's at.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I'm afraid that US copyright law isn't going to change for the better, considering that we're currently fighting a battle for it not to become worse.
Anyway, I'd also like to see a decent quality space sim made on modern engine and without a free roaming, wide open sandbox/economic sim environment. Perhaps a bit more realistic than FS, but not necessarily with a fully newtonian flight model like IFH (a B5-themed indie sim with a newtonian flight model).

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
looking through inteplay's website to see if i could find contact details in an attempt to request (provoke if need be) (yes i know crazy long odds of success but i am in a what the hell mood atm) and i ran into this which i though was worth a cheep lol.

Our portfolio of well recognized Intellectual Properties includes Battlechess, Clayfighter, Dark Alliance, Descent, Earthworm Jim, Freespace, Giants, Messiah, MDK, Run Like Hell and Sacrifice amongst other.

not much there from this side of Y2K, heck i grew up on a load of this stuff
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
i think  :v-old: is more interested in making descent 4 atm :(
i take that back. I forgot  :v-old: hardly made this franchise.
In that case they could possibly be released at the same time like before.
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

looking through inteplay's website to see if i could find contact details in an attempt to request (provoke if need be) (yes i know crazy long odds of success but i am in a what the hell mood atm) and i ran into this which i though was worth a cheep lol.

Any luck with this?  Maaaaan, this whole thing is annoying, but I'm glad I was able to provoke some thoughtful discussion.  I guess ultimately, with the crap THQ is going through right now plus Volition's focus on Saints Row and Red Faction, FS3 isn't feasible right now, what with the license in jeopardy.

:(

Hopes crushed again!  I think I'll keep my [V] for FS3 in my siggy though... it's interesting how even in an interview in 2011, Volition at least is still thinking about FS3.
[V] for FS3!

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Any luck with this?  Maaaaan, this whole thing is annoying,

Nothing that would get a meaningful response.

in other news interplay is worth about $3 - $3.5 mil on the stock markets from what i could find
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
FS2 is one of :v:'s favorite games, maybe their absolute favorite, and they were really crushed when it didn't do well.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
I would have felt really bad, too.  FS2 was amazingly polished.  From the plot and continuity, to the code (for the amount of time they had and for what they needed, anyway), there were very few mistakes and no major ones if I remember right.  They really did make a special game.

We're always thinking about bugs and how to improve the game these days, but I could play Vanilla FS2 anytime (assuming I wouldn't have to deal with the afterburner bug).

Offline ShivanSpS

ill wait to see what it is that "Secret project Y" on :v: webpage... people are linking it to the new Saint Rows, but the truth is that "Secret Project Y" was on there even before "Saint’s Row: The Third" was released, around 03 mar 2011, about a week after the "Volition: 'We'd Kill To Make FreeSpace 3' on Nowgamer.com"...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 01:28:12 am by ShivanSpS »

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
ill wait to see what it is that "Secret project Y" on :v: webpage... people are linking it to the new Saint Rows, but the truth is that "Secret Project Y" was on there even before "Saint’s Row: The Third" was released, around 03 mar 2011, about a week after the "Volition: 'We'd Kill To Make FreeSpace 3' on Nowgamer.com"...

project x all over again

Offline ShivanSpS

Well, there is always hope, One_letter said "I'm putting my vote in for Freespace 3." on neogaf, but its unlikely the truth, its just his opinion :P
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 02:37:31 am by ShivanSpS »

Offline LunarNightmare

• ...what year is it?
    • Minecraft
At first I always thought that there should be a Freespace 3, I wanted some closure to Freespace, but I found HLP a year ago and played Wings of Dawn, then I went on and played the other mods, and realised something, Freespace's lack of closure is what brings these mods out, because people can make their own end to the game. Now, I think that a Freespace 3 would kill most of the projects that are being made, maybe it's best if there isn't one.

On a different, and less philosophical note, if it is made, i'm preordering, standing in line, giving it a front spot on my shelf, and waving it in front of my friends like an overly excited 10 year old kid. :D

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
At first I always thought that there should be a Freespace 3, I wanted some closure to Freespace, but I found HLP a year ago and played Wings of Dawn, then I went on and played the other mods, and realised something, Freespace's lack of closure is what brings these mods out, because people can make their own end to the game. Now, I think that a Freespace 3 would kill most of the projects that are being made, maybe it's best if there isn't one.

On a different, and less philosophical note, if it is made, i'm preordering, standing in line, giving it a front spot on my shelf, and waving it in front of my friends like an overly excited 10 year old kid. :D

I think so long as FS3 had a similar open ended finale it would be of a benefit to the community now that a considerable time has passed by giving the community a new time frame to focus on and providing new canon to work with, while refreshing the general public's exposure to the series and recruiting a wealth of new members, even if only a few of them hang around after the initial buzz.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
As long as there's a level editor like FRED bundled with the FS3, the community will survive, (and maybe go on to do better things). :)
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline bmwbmc

I'd be preordering not one, but 5 copies of FS3 if they'd build it! Heck, i would even learn Chinese if that helped in any way.
Unfortunately, i tried to introduce FS2 to a few members of the younger generation, people in their teens, avid gamers as they call themselves, but to no avail. I even did all the dirty work of installing everything on their super computers. And although they seemed interested when shown the trailers, not one of them actually gave the game a decent try. It's sad, i know, even more so for them cause they don't know what they're missing. :nono:
Maybe in the future , with Virgin getting closer to do commercial flights into space and NASA preparing to land on Mars, coupled with some blockbuster space movie, world's attention might be drawn to something like FS3. Until then we can only hope.
I, for one, am very grateful for all the amazing work that you guys and girls have put in to give us the wealth of campaigns available at the moment. Barely started going through the list of fan made campaigns and i think I'll still be flying one year from now :yes:
Just as well, I'll keep polishing my piloting skills...just in case FS3 will actually come to life. You never know, stranger things have happened... :D

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Thing is, larger companies, those with the expenses to invest fully in a game, are standing by the pitch watching with regards to the 'Space Battle Simulator' type game, and this has led to a run of smaller, less well funded studios releasing a lot of poor to above average games which haven't really achieved critical success at the level required for larger companies to take an interest.

Sadly the days of larger companies leading the innovation curve are long over, they are more scavengers now, waiting to find a style that works and then leaping on it after the bandwagon has rolled out.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, let's see. It seems giant stompy mech simulators are making a comeback. We'll see what happens with spacesims.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Well, let's see. It seems giant stompy mech simulators are making a comeback. We'll see what happens with spacesims.

*drools all over Mech warrior 5* (*-*)